• Pay it forward! (watch that movie..)

• Today at 03:39:42
    • Duiven
  • more
Any ideas for a new Competition?
on: October 07, 2017, 01:37:30
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 01:57:32 by Mar T. »
Hi all!!

I'm curious.. While the inspirational input competition #2 2017 is still running, we're looking for ideas for a new competition. Does anybody have some great ideas what the new competition can be about?
It'll be the last competition of 2017 (of course there'll be new challenging competitions in 2018). Traditionally the last comp of the year is about the holiday season (Xmas and New Year), but what the heck.. let's skip that for one time.. Nobody likes the holiday season songs right?

So help us coming up with a great assignment for the last 2017 comp, running from november until the end of the year. I personally love ideas that throw a lot of constraints like:

-It must be a 1+1 played live
-It is not allowed to contain the words 'love', 'hate', 'like', 'is' and 'has'
-Lyrics are not allowed to rhyme
-There's got to be a 4 measure (4/4 time signature) rap
-At least two notes have to be played on a didgeridoo and included in the result

But that's just an example. Help us ladies and gents, we'll collect ideas until we're in the kitchen summit weekend ( @Dutchbeat and I will be in the Belgian Ardennen by then, picking the best idea ).
I'd like to invite you all to come up with the best idea. Feel free to reply!!

Cheers! :mhm:
:mart:

• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• March 06, 2019, 13:28:43
    • Somewhere near Liverpool, UK
    • HTTPS//:soundcloud.com/Michael-a-duffy
  • more
Re: Any ideas for a new Competition?
Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 12:07:39
Hi @Mar T. , great idea to ask for suggestions from kitcheners. I am sure somebody will come up with something good.

My two ideas:

1. Movie Mayhem Not sure if you have ever done a film related one? The challenge would be to write a song about a movie of your choice or a scene from a movie. But the style of the song would have to fit with the style of the movie in some way.

2. Retro Rework. Dig out one of your old songs and republish it, or record it again how you used to do it. Then create a 2017 rework of it and publish that for comparison. Most people's style and technique moves on, often improves, as they keep writing. But sometimes we have old nuggets of lost gold in our song-writing attics that if rewritten now could be made to shine!

Thanks

Michael
If you like novels with a musical theme, why not try 'Sixth Beatle - When Music Changed The World', easily found on Amazon and Google. It is amazing, although as the author I may be biased!

• Mar T.
  • Senior Site Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• Duiven
  • more
Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 18:59:52
Those are two great ideas @MichaelA thank you for always being so helpful!! Karma for you!!

Let's keep the ideas coming kitcheners!!
Cheers!!

Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 19:31:10
I like @MichaelA 's movie/ film music idea.

You all did a competition where you took lyrics of Stan Major and created the song for it. What if we found a member who makes instrumental work ( maybe Dara Crawford , IsleofSkye, etc.... ) and if they were agreeable we could create lyrics and performance to match?

I also like the idea of needing to use certain words or outlawing the use of certain words. 
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 08:55:51
  • more
Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 19:42:00
i like all the ideas posted in this thread for a new comp...

but, i loved the Retro Rework competition idea from @MichaelA

the most

i think all of us have some gem(s) hidden from the earlier days songwriting somewhere....a gem of a song that just wait to be revitalised  :o 8) 8) 8) 8) ::)

or even given life  ;D ;D ;D ;D....in a more audible format, a better sound or performance, or mix....

great thread this ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

me, myself, and Pie

Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 19:10:24
The "retro rework" idea is very cool! I would definitely like it ...... but it might alienate the younger and/or newer members who we should encourage to be involved.  ???     

• Mar T.
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• Duiven
  • more
Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 19:14:42
I like all ideas so far!! And we need a lot more ideas, I'll start a poll when we have 10 ideas. Ok? In that way we decide together what the assignment will be.
Cheers dear kitcheners!!

• Goatrelated
  • Chef de Partie

• Yesterday at 20:26:54
    • Kwadalumpor
  • more
Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 21:23:40
Love the movie idea..
Me as a songwriters forum groupie..so I don 't have a lot to say..but a few days ago....I listened to JunkyXL on the radio with a little less conversation..and I was and I am a big fan of Elvis. I was thinking why not use and change more Elvis songs. Or like the Beatles twist..maybe a song with an Elvis twist this time.   ::heart::
also a goat understands a joke

Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 13:57:57
A vote for the 'Retro Rework' from me . My oldest recorded song is less than a year old, but I have learnt so much in that time , mostly from this forum. I'd love to rework a couple of songs and this would give me the motivation to do it.

Another idea: Kids TV show-  make up a fictional kids TV show and write the theme tune....

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 11:19:37
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 14:23:40
How about Traveling Songs?

Could include road songs, train songs, seafaring songs....even spaceship songs or time travel songs.  ;)

8)
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• Jim
  • Chef de Partie
  • Weirdy Beardy

• November 04, 2018, 11:11:23
    • Nottingham, GB
    • https://soundcloud.com/jim-clark-17
  • more
Reply #10 on: October 09, 2017, 17:04:20
How about song that can only be created from a "catalogue" of chords (agreed by the moderators), obviously not a huge catalogue, but also not a ridiculously small one (like A major, D major, E major), although the final song could just have three chords in it?   ;)

• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• March 06, 2019, 13:28:43
    • Somewhere near Liverpool, UK
    • HTTPS//:soundcloud.com/Michael-a-duffy
  • more
Reply #11 on: October 09, 2017, 20:48:16
Well I do like 'ideas' threads, so can't resist throwing another one into the mix. It would be called:

Incognito and it is a little complicated - but fun! The idea is that we write and perform songs completely differently to our signature styles. Nobody would know us from hearing the song. The idea is that we can't be recognised - so we would have to get in a different singer. or even agree to sing another member's track (but keeping everything secret!)

Once we have agreed to enter. we each register new alias user names following say a colour code rule: eg Mr Blue, Miss Turquoise, Dr Green, Reverend Orange etc. etc. But don't register your location, or you will be rumbled! When our songs are ready we then log in as say Mr Red and post our song. In this case Mr Red can only post in the thread where he has posted his/her song and can reply to other members (with their usual user names) in that thread only. So the songs can still be developed according to member suggestions. The alias names should not be used elsewhere on the forum. After the comp ends, maybe @DishWasher deletes or 'locks' all the alias users.

There are three winners.
1. Best song, as we usually do
2. The Kitchener who correctly guesses the most incognito identities. During the voting you can PM your suggestions to one of the mods who will have agreed to run the comp. You wouldn't necessaril have to have entered the competition to enter the guessing element at the end - as that will bring in more participation from some who might not have time to write a song this time around.
3. The entering Kitchener who pulls off the best incognito gameplay - so that the least number of Kitcheners guess who they really are.

Could be fun!  ;D

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 11:19:37
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 00:07:31
@MichaelA .....I absolutely LOVE your idea. Love it!

However......I suggest that we endeavor to keep this contest as simple as possible in order to attract as many contestants as possible. We have a bunch of excellent new members and it would be great to have something kind of straightforward to encourage ALL of them to enter.

:) :) :)

• Mar T.
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• Duiven
  • more
Reply #13 on: October 13, 2017, 02:43:32
Fan-TAS-tic ideas so far!! We'll set up a poll so we can choose the assignment for our last competition of the year together in our management summit next week so we can choose before November begins.. We'll have 1,5 month to create our entries and the winner will be announced just before the year 2017 ends.

In the meantime: don't be shy, and help us coming up with ideas, the more the better!!

Cheers dear kitcheners,

:mart: :mhm:

xx
competition ideas (now the write-a-song-about-your-hometown competition thread)

Started by Mar T. on Challenges

67 Replies
Last post June 02, 2018, 00:23:08
by Mar T.
xx
Song Ideas

Started by Kafla on Songs for review

6 Replies
Last post April 29, 2014, 08:56:36
by Binladeda
xx
Taboo songwriting ideas