• competition ideas (now the write-a-song-about-your-hometown competition thread)
  • Started by Mar T.
  • Mar T.
  • Senior Site Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • Pay it forward! (watch that movie..)

• Today at 01:55:53
    • Duiven
  • more
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 19:55:37 by Dutchbeat »
You're right @Dakoda , we closed the previous thread about this subject because we went off-topic there. Here's the new one!
I'll paste (selected a part of your message) your idea from the Positive voting thread here:

--- Quoting Dakoda:
 The thread for new competition suggestions, I think got locked.
 I'd like to suggest to whom ever is in charge that there might be an open thread for competition suggestions,
 that's kept open, (if a suggestion isn't taken up this time round, it might be taken up in the future etc...)
 if there's a problem with threads getting off topic, just make it clear it's competition suggestions only, delete anything else etc.

my suggestion for the next competition is,
 you pick two songs, they have to be from the "songs for review" section
 a line (or part line) is the inspiration for your song title (but not some one else's title)
 and a line or part line from a second song must also be included.
 all acknowledgements made etc etc ...
 I'll have 5 more ideas ready before we're ready to go.
 Dakoda.

--

Great idea!! Let's collect more ideas beneath!
Cheers!
:mart:

• Dakoda
  • Poissonier
  • full of 80s angst

• May 16, 2019, 08:53:08
    • London
    • https://soundcloud.com/dakoda-sada
  • more
Re: New competition ideas
Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 15:56:18

another idea for a comp. theme would be to write a song about,
 either the place you were born or the place where you live now.
 the village , the town or the city (not the country etc).
Dakoda
I prefer poisoner to fish chef...

• Dakoda
  • Poissonier
  • full of 80s angst

• London
  • more
Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 16:30:39

another idea for a competition theme.
 write a song that must include 4 stated words. say three pretty generic ones and a tough one.
 say  love, float, head and Van Gogh
 (unrelated words but one challenging one etc..)
Dakoda

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 01:55:46
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 17:43:07
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 01:55:22
  • more
Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 18:09:16
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 18:11:01 by Dutchbeat »
very nice ideas for new songwriting challenges @Dakoda and @monty_lameer ...

what about (just a thought) a challenge in which you can write any song you want, so no restrictions inthe songwriting department BUT....you have to combine the song with another artform or expression of your creativity that goes along with the song as a package deal, such as making a video, or some form of visual art, or paintings that go along with teh music, or a brief fiction story  (think for instance: war of the worlds), or an anecdote or joke, a dance routine, a picture etc., and the package of the two will be judged?

or: since we are the kitchen....i always liked the idea of a songwriting challenge in which a serious food cooking recipe forms the lyric of the song....to the extent that a person who listens to the song is (sort of) able to make the dish which recipe is described....in the song

and we compile the resulting song entries into a songwriters in the kitchen cook book ...album....type of thingy

desserts are also allowed  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

me, myself, and Pie

• Santa Claus
  • Vegetable Chef
  • No need to buy your own presents....

• May 03, 2019, 20:18:51
    • Northpole
  • more
Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 18:24:45
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 18:26:16 by Santa Claus »
Ho Ho Hoooo...(cough, cough!!!...erhh...ahhrg ) i really like that idea @Dutchbeat ......

that idea about making.... a songwriters in the kitchen cookbook.....recipes put to music! will there also be something about making chocolate cookies in it?

anyway.... Synth-er-Claus supports that  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::  ;D ;D ;D something with food and music is always good  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

but i am off now, i was just visiting the easter bunny

Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 12:02:21
Thanks for seconding my contest idea @Leonard Scaper!

I myself can't even contribute right now as my PC still won't find my interface. Ohhhh, woe is me. More song material!  ::OSMAN::
"But never have I been a blue calm sea...I have always been a storm." - Stevie Nicks

Followed by Lady Gaga on Twitter since 2009! ❤

Some of Monty's songs:
www.soundcloud.com/monty-la-meer

Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 03:27:46
So I had this idea today at work, since I had such fun doing Why Don't you do right (Who framed Roger Rabbit), Maybe we could do a cover of your favorite Disney/animated movie song. You know doesn't have to be Disney, but I think you get the point. Could even go so far as your favorite television theme song. If this does get picked up for the next competition I call dibs on Ferngully. ::headphone::

Just some food for thought. 
~Rich
We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.

Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 03:36:48
Bouncing off @Bluedusksun  's  .......   Maybe create your own theme song to a movie, show, book or story?  :)
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

• Dakoda
  • Poissonier
  • full of 80s angst

• London
  • more
Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 11:03:42

here's a lunatic idea,
 we all write a song , to the same piece of music!
 or maybe there's say three music tracks provided with stems.
 you chose one , write your own lyrics , add the vocal
 and maybe get to add more music!
 (might be quite challenging....)
Dakoda

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 11:43:14
While I think all of the above ideas have excellent merit, I personally would like to challenge folks to reach inside for the most possible creativity. To me that means going with a broader themed challenge rather than one that must follow too many specific preconditions.

I'd like to let folks use what is inside them more rather than start with too rigid a framework. Just my thoughts on the subject.

@Dutchbeat might be on to something......a food theme.  ;)

8)

• Dakoda
  • Poissonier
  • full of 80s angst

• London
  • more
Reply #11 on: April 06, 2018, 15:05:25
While I think all of the above ideas have excellent merit, I personally would like to challenge folks to reach inside for the most possible creativity. To me that means going with a broader themed challenge rather than one that must follow too many specific preconditions.

I'd like to let folks use what is inside them more rather than start with too rigid a framework. Just my thoughts on the subject.

@Dutchbeat might be on to something......a food theme.  ;)

8)

I'm not sure I get this @Leonard Scaper , I would have thought writing songs outside the competition like we normally do gives the ultimate in broad scope as there are no restrictions.
  The thing I find fun and challenging about the competitions is that you are challenged to emote about something you wouldn't normally,  and the restriction is what makes it hard?
  but I'm up for anything, as I have the "exceedingly positive song" out of the way and for me (and @MichaelA !) that must be the ultimate nemesis competition theme, I couldn't possibly
  think of anything harder! so whatever the next one is , it's going to be easier  :)
  even the food theme sounds comfortable  , I'm sure I can make something that sounds like Depeche Mode singing about Sausages in the 80's Ha! .  :)

but whatever has the broadest appeal has to be the way to go as it needs to attract at least one or more entries than the last one, that would make it a great success in my book.
  I just wish everyone's ideas would flood in so we can started, I'm rarin' to go!
Dakoda

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 16:38:16
@Dakoda ....love to see you fired up like this!!! I'm just thinking of ways to make these challenges as accessible as possible to everybody so we can have a massive number of entries.

I agree...let's hear from some more Kithceneers about where we should go next!!!!

Reply #13 on: April 06, 2018, 22:39:22
The provided "stem" idea is pretty cool. Would we all have to provide a stem of some sort like in the Inspirational Input Competition?

Reply #14 on: April 07, 2018, 02:44:45
I'm sure I can make something that sounds like Depeche Mode singing about Sausages in the 80's Ha! .  :)

@Dakoda
Please do this, I would pay. Honest.