• competition ideas (now the write-a-song-about-your-hometown competition thread)
  • Started by Mar T.
  • Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 10:23:54
  • more
Re: New competition ideas
Reply #15 on: April 13, 2018, 17:06:47
hi, perhaps it is time to select our new kitchen songwriting challenge....and in line with the long kitchen tradition we try to do that in a democratic way....everybody gets to give his or her opinion and vote for or against the ideas...and in case of doubt...Dutchbeat will decide...in a very democratic and fair way of course  ;D ;D ;D

here are the ideas that have been mentioned so far in this thread, if you are interstingin joining anew songwriting challenge, just say which ones you like, and we will pick the one that got most votes...you can nominte multiple ideas that you would be interested in trying:

ideas so far;

1. from @Dakoda :
"you pick two songs, they have to be from the "songs for review" section
 a line (or part line) is the inspiration for your song title (but not some one else's title)
 and a line or part line from a second song must also be included.
 all acknowledgements made etc etc ..."

2. also from @Dakoda:
"another idea for a comp. theme would be to write a song about,
 either the place you were born or the place where you live now.
 the village , the town or the city (not the country etc)."

3. from..... ;D ;D ;D @Dakoda
"write a song that must include 4 stated words. say three pretty generic ones and a tough one.
 say  love, float, head and Van Gogh
 (unrelated words but one challenging one etc..)"

4. from @monty_lameer :

"I am laughing at myself about this rather odd idea, but what about really negative songs? (sad, angry, lonely, woe is me, complaining)
I'm thinking negative to the point of humour."

5. from @myself:

"combine a song you write with another artform or expression of your creativity that goes along with the song as a package deal, such as making a video, or some form of visual art, or paintings that go along with teh music, or a brief fiction story  (think for instance: war of the worlds), or an anecdote or joke, a dance routine, a picture etc., and the package of the two will be judged?"

6. from @Santa Claus :

"since we are the kitchen....i always liked the idea of a songwriting challenge in which a serious food cooking recipe forms the lyric of the song....to the extent that a person who listens to the song is (sort of) able to make the dish which recipe is described....in the song

and we compile the resulting song entries into a songwriters in the kitchen cook book ...album....type of thingy

desserts are also allowed  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D"

7. from @Bluedusksun :

"Maybe we could do a cover of your favorite Disney/animated movie song. You know doesn't have to be Disney, but I think you get the point. Could even go so far as your favorite television theme song."

8. from @Bill from November Sound :

"Bouncing off @Bluedusksun  's  .......   Maybe create your own theme song to a movie, show, book or story?"

9. from @Dakoda

"here's a lunatic idea,
 we all write a song , to the same piece of music!
 or maybe there's say three music tracks provided with stems.
 you chose one , write your own lyrics , add the vocal
 and maybe get to add more music!
 (might be quite challenging....)"

10. and @Bill from November Sound added to that:

"The provided "stem" idea is pretty cool. Would we all have to provide a stem of some sort like in the Inspirational Input Competition?"

so it is up to all of us now, 10 ideas... just select the ones you would like to try and post that opinion in this thread....
and also feel free to add more ideas ....

me, myself, and Pie

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 11:54:57
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #16 on: April 13, 2018, 17:55:52
In the interest of keeping things simple.....I cast my vote for:

#2...write a song about either the place you were born or the place where you live now

Lots of folks will join because...everybody comes from somewhere.

8)
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

Reply #17 on: April 14, 2018, 00:19:01
I agree with @Leonard Scaper ... that sounds like a great idea. @Dakoda is on to a good theme with writing about your homeland.
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• more
Reply #18 on: April 14, 2018, 10:34:34
ok, so @Leonard Scaper @Dakoda and @Bill from November Sound are proposing a songwriting challenge in which you have to write a song about the place were you were born and / or grew up, or the place where where you live now

sounds good to me too, i would join that songwriting comp

what do the others @all think?

Reply #19 on: April 14, 2018, 13:26:20
I'd vote for that idea as well ::thumb::  ::Suzy::

• Mar T.
  • Senior Site Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • Pay it forward! (watch that movie..)

• Today at 10:16:26
    • Duiven
  • more
Reply #20 on: April 14, 2018, 17:57:30
Thanks for using your organization skills @Dutchbeat , didn't know you had those skills  ;) ;) ;) ;)  :whistle: :whistle:  :blackgrin: :blackgrin: :blackgrin:

Yeah great idea @Leonard Scaper , I'd vote for #2 as well!
Cheers!
:mart:

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• more
Reply #21 on: April 14, 2018, 18:33:35
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 18:48:17 by Dutchbeat »
Thanks for using your organization skills @Dutchbeat , didn't know you had those skills  ;) ;) ;) ;)  :whistle: :whistle:  :blackgrin: :blackgrin: :blackgrin:

Yeah great idea @Leonard Scaper , I'd vote for #2 as well!
Cheers!
:mart:

thank you for your trust in my organising skills, Sir!  ;D ;D ;D C:-) C:-) C:-) i didn't know i had them either but....

following the advise of:
@Dakoda @Bill from November Sound @Leonard Scaper @CrystalSuzy @Mar T. and even from @myself  ;D ;D ;D ::) ::) ::)

i very democratically now like to decide.....
and announce... 8) 8) 8) 8)

that the new songwriting challenge of 2018 will be....... ::trumpet:: ::trumpet:: ::trumpet::

the 'write-a song-about-your-hometown" songwriting competition

could be the place where you were born, the place where you grew up, or even the place where you live now

but go down in memory lane a bit.....dig up some warm nostalgic feelings / images, or more negative memories, everything is allowed

because this songwriting challenge has no rules, except for that is nice if you join in and write a song for this  ::thumb:: ::thumb::

oh and that..... ;D ;D ;D ;D the deadline for entering your song in this competition is....20th of Mai.....2018......

so you better get started, power up that bedroom (or kitchen) studio!

and may the muse be with you  ::headphone::

Reply #22 on: April 15, 2018, 08:14:37
That's a good one!

For the NEXT comp, I would go for either 4 (my idea, heh) or 9.
"But never have I been a blue calm sea...I have always been a storm." - Stevie Nicks

Followed by Lady Gaga on Twitter since 2009! ❤

Some of Monty's songs:
www.soundcloud.com/monty-la-meer

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• more
Reply #23 on: April 15, 2018, 17:54:29
Hi @monty_lameer

i also like option 4 and option 9....but just wondering, would you also in for joining if we choose option 2???

option 2 is something like this:
(quote)
"'write-a song-about-your-hometown" songwriting competition

could be the place where you were born, the place where you grew up, or even the place where you live now

but go down in memory lane a bit.....dig up some warm nostalgic feelings / images, or more negative memories, everything is allowed"

would be nice if you would join that challenge too  ::thumb::, so far i think:

@Leonard Scaper
@Dakoda (who came up with the idea)
@Bill from November Sound
@CrystalSuzy
@Mar T.
and @myself

expressed interest in trying to write a song for this challenge. Are you also in?  ;D ;D ;D

• Jambrains
  • Chef de Partie
  • You ain't seen nothing yet..

• May 24, 2019, 22:24:49
  • more
Reply #24 on: April 15, 2018, 18:14:30
Give me a call when you run the write-a-really-good-song contest.   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Let man's petty nations tear themselves apart
My land's only borders lie around my heart

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• more
Reply #25 on: April 15, 2018, 18:23:42
 ;D ;D ;D ;D @Jambrains that competition runs out here every day, it is an open, ongoing competition bedroom / kitchen / attic songwriters forced upon themselves.... 8) 8) 8) 8) and it is....a life sentence

but......can i challenge you....to join in....and put your karma coins where your mouth is  ;D ;D

that you are going to write a really-good-song about the Swedish place you came from??? ;D ;D ;D ;D would be really nice if you would join  ::thumb::

• Dakoda
  • Poissonier
  • full of 80s angst

• Yesterday at 08:14:28
    • London
    • https://soundcloud.com/dakoda-sada
  • more
Reply #26 on: April 15, 2018, 18:43:41

i very democratically now like to decide.....
and announce... 8) 8) 8) 8)

that the new songwriting challenge of 2018 will be....... ::trumpet:: ::trumpet:: ::trumpet::

the 'write-a song-about-your-hometown" songwriting competition

so you better get started, power up that bedroom (or kitchen) studio!

and may the muse be with you  ::headphone::

I thought this might be a decent idea for a competition, but now that I have to actually write a song about "someplace"
I'm thinking it's a rubbish idea! ha!!... I can normally write the lyrics to a track in a couple of days.
but this time round I might need all five of the weeks the competition is open for!
I'm going to have to get some serious inspiration from somewhere... (or a bottle of wine...)  ;D

btw @Dutchbeat , I'm not sure if it breaches any spam protocol, but if it were me, I'd be tempted to make a forum entry
inviting all members of the kitchen individually by including the "@" at sign name thing so each of them gets notified by email.
that way everyone , including the people who are less frequent visitors, get to know about the comp. all at the "same time".
(just an idea)
Dakoda (why couldn't number 9 have won, balls :-)
I prefer poisoner to fish chef...

Reply #27 on: April 15, 2018, 18:56:46
Give me a call when you run the write-a-really-good-song contest.   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

--- Oh jeez @Jambrains  .... if we do that I'm out.  :( 

Reply #28 on: April 15, 2018, 18:59:25
Hey @Dutchbeat and @Mar T.  ..... what if we change the voting this time? Everything the same except you can give your highest number of points to equal 50% of the contestants.

Say there are 16 contestants = max points of 8

What do you think?  :)

• Jambrains
  • Chef de Partie
  • You ain't seen nothing yet..

• May 24, 2019, 22:24:49
  • more
Reply #29 on: April 15, 2018, 20:53:32

--- Oh jeez @Jambrains  .... if we do that I'm out.  :( 

Lol! I would not be so sure about that :-)