• Started by Vince
  • Vince
  • Chef de Partie

• November 30, 2019, 22:26:24
  • more
Demo for Positive Song - Criticism encouraged
on: February 14, 2018, 03:42:31
https://soundcloud.com/user-522876838/goin-fishin/s-y0PBt

If I connected this right - the link is to what will hopefully be my entry. I may have to record it again.... depends on the feedback (I'm getting clever in my old age)

Goin' Fishin'

I'm going fishing, I'm going to cast my cares away
I'm going fishing, I'm going to do what the good Lord says,
I'm gonna take my cares, put them on a line and cast them out to the sea,
I'm gonna cast all my cares on Him, because He cares for me

I'm going fishing, I'm going to leave doubt and worry behind,
I'm going fishing, I' m gonna make that promise mine,

When this world has really got me down,
And I've caught the latest fear that's going 'round
I want to dig a hole and jump right in
Fill the dirt in over me,
But I'll go fishing instead
Because He cares for me

I'm going fishing, I'm going to cast my cares away
I'm going fishing, I'm going to do what the good Lord says,

Thank you for listening and any suggestions - except for hiring a singer, a band and a producer (I'm on a low budget  ;D)

Vince

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 17:20:17
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Re: Demo for Positive Song - Criticism encouraged
Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 12:57:39
Nice tune, Vince.......an excellent positive sentiment and one that I can identify with. I don't think you need to record it over as it is a good performance....heartfelt and true. If you have and are comfortable with an equalizer plug-in you could easily clean this up a tad using the High Pass Filter on that bass.

Even without that this is a strong entry as this is a very strong song.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• August 31, 2019, 23:25:43
    • Somewhere near Liverpool, UK
    • HTTPS//:soundcloud.com/Michael-a-duffy
  • more
Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 13:16:13
Hey @Vince, well done for beating @Leonard Scaper to first person to post a competition entry (for a change!)  ;D ;D ;D Our Lenny probably finished his song last week but as he 'only does compression at the weekends', we will probably not see his song until next Monday now, as he will need the whole weekend for that!  ::thumb::

Anyway, wow this is interesting! It is like a song with one long chorus (apart from the mid break) so you have used this structural technique to make it very catchy. It's very simple, with just enough going on, but very effective for it. I've played it twice and can singalong now!

So bearing in mind you asked for suggestions and because it is such a singalong number, when the 'One More Time' outro starts, why not have a whole bunch of other folk joining in. The friendly neighbourhood fishing club!? ...Well I guess you might think that too corny an idea, and I can be the King of Cheese. But let me tell you this, if you ever make a guest appearance on the Muppet Show, well that is exactly what would happen!!! You have been warned!

But anyway, good strong entry to get us going. Did you enjoy that 'positive' experience, ha ha?!
If you like novels with a musical theme, why not try 'Sixth Beatle - When Music Changed The World', easily found on Amazon and Google. It is amazing, although as the author I may be biased!

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Today at 12:40:22
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 18:33:22
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 13:11:44 by LePlongeur »
@Vince
@MichaelA
Agree a 100% with MichaelA.
In analog times I’ve toted along a calibrated Uher reel to reel to my pub. Leave it to the Germans to make a calibrated recorder. And i’d Have them, the usual crowd, sing along the refrain or chorus. Of course that would cost me a round but so what? Early in the evening the lyrics can be pronounced without a slur.  Everybody happy.

Nowadays with all the digi thingy things, that would be my suggestion.
Take a Dictafone, telephone, or whatever, go to a pub early in the evening. Cough up 6 beers, plus 3 extra for yourself and you have a great evening. And you stand a better chance kicking the living **** out of us.

I love it when your song would go more towards a sing along song tradition.
And wouldn’t mind being defeated by quality.
Only an opinion? Yes, but it’s my opinion.
Kind regards, Gus

• Lane
  • Poissonier
  • Karma Hunter

• November 03, 2019, 21:43:26
  • more
Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 19:32:45
Not one "nit I have for this song @Vince, what a great write and simple progressive sound, thats always a great musical hook I think. and! the way this is written the vocal in this is so fitting my thought. My opinion this is ready. nice job.   Lane

• Vince
  • Chef de Partie

• more
Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 20:22:49
Well thank everybody for their feedback.

@Leonard Scaper - on my last contest song I tried the high pass filter with Studio One - not very well. I've been thinking about it - I will see if I can download just the bass track and upload it into Audacity (a free program) and run their High Pass filter.

@MichaelA  and @LePlongeur  I'll some serious thought on how to record on location - there is a place down the street from me that has "open mic" nights - maybe I can figure something out  - the really really bad thing is you've never seen I guess you can call it stage fright" like mine.

@Lane  - thank you so much

When a song comes-  it comes fast - usually as fast as my old arthritic fingers can jot the words down - usually in one sitting 

Thank you all again.

Maybe @Leonard Scaper or @Mar T.  can delete this thread while I work on the thing

Best wishes to all Vince

• Mar T.
  • Senior Site Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • Pay it forward! (watch that movie..)

• Yesterday at 20:54:23
    • Duiven
    • http://twitter.com/MartiMediaSC http://www.facebook.com/MartiMedia http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEBmQkchurQ https://soundcloud.com/martimedia
  • more
Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 20:26:53
Hey @Vince I'd suggest to keep the thread alive while you're working on it.. Or don't you like sharing the progress? Let me know.. ;-)
I'm proud of this track, check it out! https://soundcloud.com/martimedia/dreams

• Vince
  • Chef de Partie

• more
Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 20:29:27
Thank's @Mar T.  - I don't mind at all keeping it open. Once again, this song probably never would have been written without the contest. Maybe, it could encourage more members to join in.

Vince

Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 10:14:06
Nice one Vince, strong melody, tasteful instrumentation and nice warm mellow tones. If I were to split tiny hairs, some of the chord changes could be tightened up timing-wise (perhaps with a light touch 'time shift' here and there on the bass track) but that might take away some of the relaxed 'live' sound you have achieved. Melody firmly implanted in my brain now ... 'goin' fishing mmmm mmmm mmm!

• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• August 31, 2019, 23:25:43
    • Somewhere near Liverpool, UK
    • HTTPS//:soundcloud.com/Michael-a-duffy
  • more
Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 13:05:45

@MichaelA  and @LePlongeur  I'll some serious thought on how to record on location - there is a place down the street from me that has "open mic" nights - maybe I can figure something out  - the really really bad thing is you've never seen I guess you can call it stage fright" like mine.

I wouldn't put yourself through the misery @Vince if you hate performing live. Just get a few people you know, individually or collectively, to sing into a recorder to your chords. It's a 'People's Song', so they don't have to be great singers. Just ordinary people who sound like they're having fun! ...well it's only an idea, of course. But in a City thirty or so miles from me - Manchester - there was a recent terror bombing on an Ariana Grande concert. In various tribute gatherings afterwards people started spontaneously singing 'Don't Look Back in Anger', by Oasis, sons of Manchester of course. So like this maybe - but more jolly! :

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/video/2017/may/25/manchester-crowd-sings-dont-look-back-in-anger-oasis-video

xx
Happysong 2 (demo) - Positive song competition entry (possibly)

Started by oorlab on Songs for review

8 Replies
Last post March 05, 2018, 09:55:58
by Chris Spruit
xx
In Need of Constructive Criticism Please !

Started by rkragsdale on Songs for review

8 Replies
Last post December 06, 2017, 19:16:19
by Knate
xx
Constructive Criticism

Started by NoiseAlter on The kitchen café

3 Replies
Last post April 12, 2016, 01:41:08
by Mar T.
xx
I made two songs in a morning and am looking for criticism, thanks