• Michelin Starred Chef
  • Pay it forward! (watch that movie..)

• Today at 03:39:42
    • Duiven
  • more
Kitchen Challenge/Competitions in 2018
on: January 02, 2018, 01:22:13
Hi all!!

First of all a VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! Hoot hoot!! Let's have fun together and let the music 'find' us so we can create new art every day! We're still at a good heartbeat-pace to organise a challenge/comp every approx 2 months. We had 5 of them last year, let's have 6 of them in this new year!

We've had a fantastic challenge/comp year in 2017, and 2018 will be 'even greater'  ;)

I think we found a few assignments that should recur every year:
-The Kitchen Cover Comp
-The Inspiratiional Input Comp
-A 'create a song in a certain style', like the beatles comp
-A 'season' inpired Comp (like the 'Spring' comp back in 2016)

Help us with ideas fellow kitcheners! Our staff will find the remaining 2 challenges for 2018, but if YOU have ideas let us know!
Our competitions have been a source for encouragement (in a good way) since we started the kitchen, so let's use that collective power and inspire each other about the assignments, help each other in the creation process and listen to each other when voting for the trophy!

Let us know what you think and help our platform supporting your needs!
Cheers!
:mart:

Re: Kitchen Challenge/Competitions in 2018
Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 04:40:18
HAPPY NEW YEAR to YOU ALL ::thumb::

Valentine's coming up  ::heart:: How about some kind of love song  ::heart::

Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 11:54:31
@Mar T.  & @CrystalSuzy  - love songs are always a splendid idea!
I was thinking about throwing eachother a textline, and the challenge would be to make a song out of it. So every contestant sends in a line, that is redistibuted in a random way. Only thing to take care of is that one doesn't get ones own line.
may be something like this: https://moodle.org/plugins/assignment_random

Cheers
D
recommending https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Music_Works "How music works", book by David Byrne.

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 11:19:37
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 14:44:38
I was thinking about throwing eachother a textline, and the challenge would be to make a song out of it. So every contestant sends in a line, that is redistibuted in a random way.

I like that idea a lot.

:) :) :)
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 08:55:51
  • more
Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 17:27:05
yes, i like that idea of @oorlab a lot too
me, myself, and Pie

• Mar T.
  • Senior Site Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• Duiven
  • more
Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 21:47:56
Good ideas @oorlab and @CrystalSuzy  !

Help us kitcheners, we need even moooorrre ideas!!

Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 10:04:21
all the best everyone! happy new year!

not done a comp for a while so looking forward to seeing what the first one is gonna be!
fly away and find my peace of mind...
http://soundcloud.com/man-of-simple-pleasures

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• Today at 10:17:26
    • Sheffield, UK
    • https://www.facebook.com/Mr.Bouzouki.Music/ https://www.youtube.com/user/MisterBouzouki https://soundcloud.com/mrbouzouki
  • more
Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 10:10:53
Taking on @oorlab 's idea how about extending it to getting 3 or 4 random lines from members, in a similar manner to how David Bowie used to do his newspaper cuttings idea to generate ideas ?
This juxtaposition of perhaps widely different ideas, topics, phrases might be interesting. This is of course similar to the photo comp but more focused in some ways.
"Love and Life is all about connections"

Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 10:58:34
@MrBouzouki 
that is interesting, we could also add a random key or chord change. Thus we would have a randomized songinput: 2 or 3 lines and a key with changes.
We should look for some online randomizing app or tool.

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 08:55:51
  • more
Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 17:23:22
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 17:26:23 by Dutchbeat »
great ideas @MrBouzouki and @oorlab  ::thumb::

i just read @MichaelA 's new thread and listened to his new song called wonder. And in this thread he is talking about how difficult it can be to write an extremely positive song. Perhaps that could also be a songwriting challenge....write an extremely positive song, as in: really, extremely, positive  ;D ;D ;D ;D to start 2018 in a joyful way? after that one, we can all go back to our deeply sad and / or slightly depressed songwriting work for the rest of the year...  ;D ;D ;D ;D 

and in case one is a more positive dance type of songwriter.....the songwriting challenge would be to write a completely miserable depressing song (on a low bpm)  ;D ;D ;D,
so there could be two categories.....since we started with that in the  'Travel Song' AND/OR 'Retro Rework' competition anyway...

which by the way reminds me, that @Marti..... our Administrator with infinite ICT wisdom....he who leads the path to singing light....told me...that i should remind all of you, once in a while  ;D ;D ;D ;D to go VOTE for the winner in that competition! i mean this one:

https://www.songwriter-forum-kitchen.com/forum/competitions/18/the-travel-song-andor-retro-rework-competition-voting-thread/3923/

• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• March 06, 2019, 13:28:43
    • Somewhere near Liverpool, UK
    • HTTPS//:soundcloud.com/Michael-a-duffy
  • more
Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 21:44:45
I really like your positive or miserable song competition  idea @Dutchbeat, with competitors being forced to step out of their comfort zone. Sadly I would lose, however,  as my next decent 'positive' song won't happen now for four more years!  :(  ;D ;D ;D
If you like novels with a musical theme, why not try 'Sixth Beatle - When Music Changed The World', easily found on Amazon and Google. It is amazing, although as the author I may be biased!

• Mar T.
  • Senior Site Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• Duiven
  • more
Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 00:46:46
@oorlab @MrBouzouki and @Dutchbeat , excellent ideas!! I love them all!! Is it an idea to collect them ideas this weekend and start a poll so everybody can choose?
I do have to admit that @Dutchbeat 's idea: write an extemely positive / extremely negative song would be a great start for this year (esp the 'positive') variant. Way too less positive music these days!!  ;) ;)
Dick and Pete, yes! I love those 'inspirational input' variants! Those are sooo challenging!

Cheers!

Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 14:28:38
@Mar T.   @Dutchbeat    I don't have a lot of out put songwriting wise, but I could try to write a sad and extremely depressing one 

Reply #13 on: January 14, 2018, 12:16:50
I like the idea of writing an extremely positive or negative song, without any conditions or restraints  ::Bones::
Be interesting to hear all the different interpretations of this  ::Note::  ::Suzy::

Reply #14 on: January 14, 2018, 15:18:49
........... Sadly I would lose, however,  as my next decent 'positive' song won't happen now for four more years!  :(

Ha,ha,ha!  :D   ::thumb:: 
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.