• Same Lyrics Challenge - VOTING closed!! - RESULTS ARE IN!!
  • Started by Mar T.
  • Mark Luto
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • Enthusiastic Dilettante

• Yesterday at 22:49:36
    • Zurich, Switzerland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MarkLutoMusic/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2oOby1sRdVp60eBi8msivQ https://soundcloud.com/markluto
  • more
Re: Same Lyrics Challenge - VOTING thread!!
Reply #15 on: November 07, 2018, 19:29:01
... and how strange to hear the same lyrics with such different treatments.. perhaps especially as I had a go at it myself so I'm very familiar with the lyrics!

@Zedd
But now you've made us all very curious. Why didn't you take part in the challenge? I would love to hear what you have conjured out of this great lyrics... ::headphone::

• LePlongeur
  • Chef de Partie
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Yesterday at 19:23:29
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #16 on: November 07, 2018, 19:48:32
Ok, I understand.
Thanks for the explanation.
So my suggestion would be to organize a same votes challenge.
That way we could avoid having winners and losers.

At home, when I was young, problems like these would have been called rich peopleís problems.
In that scenario you are rich, a Kitchener, a song writer (so de facto youíve got it all) and thereís still a way to get the blues........ creativity?

Thanks anyway. Canít find a smiley who scratches behind his ear.
Kind regards, Gus

• MrBouzouki
  • Chef de Partie
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• November 19, 2018, 21:26:39
    • Sheffield, UK
    • https://www.facebook.com/Mr.Bouzouki.Music/ https://www.youtube.com/user/MisterBouzouki https://soundcloud.com/mrbouzouki
  • more
Reply #17 on: November 07, 2018, 23:16:57
Voted - well done everybody

::OSMAN:: ::OSMAN:: ::OSMAN::
"Love and Life is all about connections"

• Zedd
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef

• Yesterday at 11:50:59
    • https://soundcloud.com/monnodb
  • more
Reply #18 on: November 07, 2018, 23:50:36
... and how strange to hear the same lyrics with such different treatments.. perhaps especially as I had a go at it myself so I'm very familiar with the lyrics!

But now you've made us all very curious. Why didn't you take part in the challenge? I would love to hear what you have conjured out of this great lyrics... ::headphone::
@Zedd
Ah @Mark Luto that would be because I didn't finish it :) !  I kinda knew that would happen but I enjoyed having a go at it all the same - I've never written a song to someone else's lyrics before.. Made me realise how much I edit or actually continually re-write my own lyrics during the process of fleshing out a song - having that freedom removed was an interesting challenge! It won't have been in vain though, at least the verse melody will reappear in another song soon I'm sure when I get my act together!!

• Mar T.
  • Senior Site Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • Pay it forward! (watch that movie..)

• Yesterday at 23:24:29
    • Duiven
  • more
Reply #19 on: November 08, 2018, 00:12:19
But you ARE going to post the results @Zedd , don't you? Curious! Great to read how actually trying different methods of songwriting (in this case 'immutable' lyrics) had impact on the process. And that that process yielded some nice side-effects like reusable song parts..
Like that way of looking at you own process. Cool!

• Zedd
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef

• more
Reply #20 on: November 08, 2018, 23:00:42
But you ARE going to post the results @Zedd , don't you? Curious! Great to read how actually trying different methods of songwriting (in this case 'immutable' lyrics) had impact on the process. And that that process yielded some nice side-effects like reusable song parts..
Like that way of looking at you own process. Cool!

Yes, if I ever get it finished :) ... progress is slow, mojo is low.... I'll get there eventually I expect @Mar T.

• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• Yesterday at 03:40:54
    • Somewhere near Liverpool, UK
    • HTTPS//:soundcloud.com/Michael-a-duffy
  • more
Reply #21 on: November 08, 2018, 23:29:59
Hey Karen, @Zedd, enough of 'mojo is low' nonsense! We want to hear your song, and your music in general. Don't let that beautiful spark go out!!!

Even if you post it privately, I'd love to hear what you made of these lyrics.

However...if you seriously do need a break, well when you come back I am sure it will be worth waiting for!

All the best.

M
If you like novels with a musical theme, why not try 'Sixth Beatle - When Music Changed The World', easily found on Amazon and Google. It is amazing, although as the author I may be biased!

• Zedd
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef

• more
Reply #22 on: November 08, 2018, 23:39:27
Hey Karen, @Zedd, enough of 'mojo is low' nonsense! We want to hear your song, and your music in general. Don't let that beautiful spark go out!!!

Even if you post it privately, I'd love to hear what you made of these lyrics.

However...if you seriously do need a break, well when you come back I am sure it will be worth waiting for!

All the best.

M

Hey @MichaelA - and all... thank you for your kind words.. Sorry, I don't mean to be dramatic... I will definitely get there eventually and will surely post my results too, as I always do.. I'm just very slooooooooowwwwww with my home-produced stuff at the moment ... busy irl stuff etc.. although there is an Ashes for Dreams number  on its way soon...  :)

Michael - I'll give you a shout..

K

• Mar T.
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• Duiven
  • more
Reply #23 on: November 09, 2018, 01:49:37
..That voting system you got there is well cool. Very quick and efficient, saved me having to type out all the names and the corresponding votes...

..Very nicely organised voting system - thank you @Mar T...
Cheers @eric craptone  and @robertkc ! In the beginning we voted by PM to our staff, and we only presented the winner. With this system everybody is able to express more detail (add subjective 'weight' to their votes) and I'm convinced in this way we get more honest and fair results.  We'll always publish the top-5 ranking, and everybody who's not in the top 5 is welcome to request their scores to our administrators/global mods by PM.

In the past we had lots of discussions about the voting system, and the current system is the result, based on these discussions. We run this way of voting for a few years now, and most of us seem to be happy with it!

Apart from the voting system I had a wonderful time this evening listening to all entries for this 'same lyrics' challenge. Amazing to hear all songs are so unique and different, while they're all based on the same lyrics! Thank you all for sharing your work!
Congrats again @MichaelA for being able to deliver 'THE lyrics' for this comp, wonderful and inspiring words!

In the meantime I've voted as well!
Cheers everybody!
Mar T.
:mart:

Cool to read responsed like yours..

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Yesterday at 23:48:20
  • more
Reply #24 on: November 09, 2018, 18:08:08
thanks  :thumbsup: @Mar T. for great fully automated  voting system.... ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: the system may saver than most voting computers used in natioal elections, and we had no hack in years (last one was from @seriousfun  :blackgrin: :blackgrin: :blackgrin:)

and thanks to everyone who voted already  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: keep those votes coming,
if you didn't enter a song for this challenge, listening to the entries and giving your vote a well is very much appreciated  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

:pompom: :pompom: :pompom: :pompom: :pompom: :pompom: :pompom: :pompom: :pompom: :pompom: :pompom: :pompom: :pompom: :pompom: :pompom: :pompom: :pompom: :pompom: :pompom: :nopompom: :pompom: :pompom: :pompom: :pompom: :pompom:

me, myself, and Pie

Reply #25 on: November 11, 2018, 14:16:00
Voted!  :)

Good show everyone!  :thumbsup:

---- I've said this before ..... the distribution of points by the voter is kind of strange .... here in this challenge with 12 participants  then 6 points should be the max points allowed for a single entry. It would help the voter reward a clear winner.
This 3 point max and 22 total points .....wow ... anything could happen, really.
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

• Mar T.
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• Duiven
  • more
Reply #26 on: November 11, 2018, 17:41:18
Hey @Bill from November Sound , that's a matter of taste of course..

But maybe we could come up with a magic formula that we use in the future.

eg we could do:

Max points (in total) = number of entries x 1.8 (in this case: 12 entries, so max approx 22 points)
Max points (per option) = max points total / 5 (in this case: 22 / 5 = approx 4)

In this case 1.8 and 5 are the variables that we can play with.
I guess you're suggesting to tweak the '5' to '4' or '3'.

Everybody plz let us know what values we should use next time, maybe that gives us some consensus..

Cheers!
Mar T.
:mart:

Reply #27 on: November 11, 2018, 18:00:51
I voted.  :thumbsup:

Reply #28 on: November 11, 2018, 22:51:10
I have voted!

• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• Yesterday at 03:40:54
    • Somewhere near Liverpool, UK
    • HTTPS//:soundcloud.com/Michael-a-duffy
  • more
Reply #29 on: November 12, 2018, 12:12:08
Hey @Bill from November Sound and @Mar T. , yes the small range of scoring is currently a bit of a problem. In practice it means it's hard not to give the same score to quite a few of the songs, even if they are not all of equal merit ( well to my ears anyway)

Why not just multiply the number of contestants by 3 points, then have a max score of 6, as Bill suggests for top score. In the case of this challenge, with 12 entries, that would mean 36 points available. A contestant could only vote for 11, but the following range of scores might have been given by him/her as an example

6 points x 1 song = 6
5 points x 1 song = 5
4  x 4 songs.          = 16
3 x 1 songs.          = 3
2 x 2 songs.          = 4
1 x 2 songs.          = 2
                               = 36

Which does help to stretch out the field, and more easily identifies the voters clear favourites.

Cheers

M

xx
Help us choose an assignment for the next competition! - Voting closed!

Started by Mar T. on Challenges

52 Replies
Last post November 12, 2017, 20:55:42
by Leonard Scaper
xx
The Kitchen Cover Challenge - 3rd edition - Closed!

89 Replies
Last post August 25, 2018, 02:52:26
by Mar T.
xx
New Kitchen 'lyrics' Challenge - VOTE to select the lyrics for this challenge!

Started by Dutchbeat on Challenges

73 Replies
Last post October 03, 2018, 11:26:45
by LePlongeur
xx
Hometown Comp - VOTING Thread- RESULTS are IN!

137 Replies
Last post June 28, 2018, 00:47:31
by Mark Luto
question
The Beatles Competition VOTING thread!!-Results are IN!

134 Replies
Last post May 19, 2017, 12:22:12
by MichaelA