• The 'write-a-song-about-a-misunderstanding' challenge - Please join!
  • Started by Mar T.
  • Mar T.
  • Senior Site Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • Pay it forward! (watch that movie..)

• Today at 10:47:29
    • Duiven
  • more
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 23:51:14 by Mar T. »
Hi everybody!!

Here's the assignment for our last challenge of 2018, the 'write-a-song-about-a-misunderstanding' challenge!

The assignment: (quoted from @MichaelA 's interpretation of a @LePlongeur idea):
'Write a song about 'misunderstandings'. When you are trying to say one thing, but then the other person reads it completely differently. And then you have said the wrong thing completely, but entirely by accident!'
( see discussion here for more hints: https://www.songwriter-forum-kitchen.com/forum/challenges/18/so-whats-the-last-challenge-of-2018-to-be/4891/ )

Requirements:
Of course we have some requirements:
-You MUST use a few sounds from the free kitchen sounds VSTi given to us by our beloved member @budhabuilding .
 ( the plugin can be found here: https://www.songwriter-forum-kitchen.com/forum/songwriting-ingredients/26/kitchen-percussioninstrument-vst-created-esp-for-the-kitchen-and-for-free/4782/ ). If you need help installing it just shout.
-That's it! No more requirements.

The rules:
-All provided links to entries should be working when voting starts as well. If we don't have a working link when voting starts, the song will be disqualified.
-Every participant MUST vote, and self-voting is not allowed. I'm programming the forum software to improve detecting violations. Our @DishWasher will help you when he's notified of violations. He's not a nice guy with all his negative karma...  ;)

How much time do I have left to submit my entry? :
The challenge has been started officially starting NOW, and will close 31-12-2018 8:00pm forum time.

Wanna join? :
So now who's in? Please let us know, we'll reserve the next post to collect the names of the participants. I'll collect your data in the second post of this thread.

Cheers and have fun!
Mar T.
:mart:

• Mar T.
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• Duiven
  • more
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 02:41:24 by Mar T. »
Participants so far:

1. @MichaelA (once he finishes bathing in the glory of having won the last songwriting challenge)
2. @Mar T.
3. @Dutchbeat
4. @robertkc
5. @oorlab and @Pleudoniem  (collab)
6. @Timothy Smith

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 09:20:44
  • more
okay  :ok: great @Mar T.  :thumbsup:

anyone else wants to join this new songwriting challenge that ends at new years day?

me, myself, and Pie

I want to do it but I can't really think of any misunderstandings. Not enough personal experience, maybe?
Is there some more general way to go about it?
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• more
hi @Bill from November Sound ,  making up a misunderstanding is part of the fun i think....  there are also various websites with famous misunderstandings in history that may  be used as inspiration?

• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• January 15, 2019, 00:07:52
    • Somewhere near Liverpool, UK
    • HTTPS//:soundcloud.com/Michael-a-duffy
  • more
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 22:26:36 by MichaelA »
Hi @Bill from November Sound , and anyone else who is interested, well I think this Challenge can be taken to include a wide range of possibilities.Of course, we have already got the example from @LePlongeur and @Dutchbeat's website idea, so there is a lot of potential to make a song - one that could be sad or serious, on the one hand, or light-hearted or funny on the other.

EDIT: took out my earlier ideas, sorry, overkill maybe from me!

I haven't decided yet myself whether to go for funny or serious on this challenge ;D
If you like novels with a musical theme, why not try 'Sixth Beatle - When Music Changed The World', easily found on Amazon and Google. It is amazing, although as the author I may be biased!

• LePlongeur
  • Chef de Partie
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Today at 10:04:28
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
I must admit it, already it IS a misunderstanding. A kaleidoscope of misunderstandings.
I also must admit that there has been some grinning too. On my part that is, maybe I am the only one who sees the humor in it.
But I would begin to feel guilty (yes, a tiny bit of a pussy too) if I were to keep silent.

I suggested FAWM as a joint effort.  No challenge, but one album to be presented as a whole to Kitchen radio.

Somehow @MichaelA dug up the yellow roses, @Mar T.  Decided that I would enter into a challenge if the idea was mine. And (maybe Mar T. too?) thought it was a good idea to make me download something for percussion. I record on a museum worthy recorder, which has no connection to internet. Sometimes I wonder if it has a connection with me. So, I canít comply.

Alors, I hope you wonít mind striking me off the list. Iíll check on the progress and individual entries without me participating.

Lots of fun everyone!
And sorry for the misunderstanding. Both to Michael and to M. of course.
Meanwhile my taalmaatje (someone who wants to learn Dutch and is a refugee) is a 19 year old Japanese woman whoís lived in Japan and Indonesia. Fully alert to further misunderstandings. As she speaks only these languages. The last one only spoke Russian and Cypriotic.

Enough misunderstandings to last a lifetime.
Kind regards, Gus

• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• January 15, 2019, 00:07:52
    • Somewhere near Liverpool, UK
    • HTTPS//:soundcloud.com/Michael-a-duffy
  • more
Sorry @LePlongeur that you have opted out. But I will look forward to seeing you on the forum and listening to your usual output of imaginative songs that are not part of a Kitchen Challenge!  :ok:

• LePlongeur
  • Chef de Partie
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Today at 10:04:28
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Don't you be sorry about a thing @MichaelA ,  and don't you worry.
Love your music, love your humor and I'm OK about misunderstandings.
And with this challenge. One about misunderstandings that starts with one.  It doesn't get any better, does it?
Kind regards, Gus

Somehow it is all funny. Funny but somehow tragic in a way.

I mean the contest about misunderstandings, based upon a previous misunderstanding is all one complete misunderstanding.

• oorlab
  • Chef de Partie
  • savoir vivre

• Yesterday at 22:59:28
    • netherlands
    • https://twitter.com/oorlab https://soundcloud.com/oorlab
  • more
Count me in too - maybe @Pleudoniem likes to join and we could make it a collaborative effort?
recommending https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Music_Works "How music works", book by David Byrne.

My favourite topic :)
Pleudoniem: composer; bass guitarist; guitarist; singer; drummer; tap-guitarist - o, and yes... erm- a bit of keys. Open for collabs.
SoundCloud Page: https://soundcloud.com/pleudoniem

• Mar T.
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• Duiven
  • more
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 01:44:30 by Mar T. »
So you're in (in collab with @oorlab ) @Pleudoniem;)

Kitcheners, we need at least 5 more participants!! Come on in, it's fun!! Leave a reply here when you've decided to join, so we can add you to the list of contestants!
Cheers!
Mar T.
:mart:

OK I'm in.

I'm not sure what I'm into but I'm in.

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• more
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D @Timothy Smith , that is the spirit!
and don't worry, it is just meant to get some songwriting going and it is very ok to not end up with a song, that happens... :P :P :P ;D ;D

i haven't even started on anything for thi, i don't even have a beginning of an idea, not a hint even  ;D ;D ;D. for this songwriting challenge  ::) :-[ :-[ :P :P :-X :-X :-X