• worldvision songcontest in the kitchen?
  • Started by Dutchbeat
  • Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Yesterday at 21:28:20
  • more
worldvision songcontest in the kitchen?
on: November 29, 2014, 12:24:18
I posted this in the "White Lady" thread started by Morten.....Maybe many of you didn't see it. Either that or no one else except for Zedd, Morten and I are interested  ;D ;D ;D, but i will give this songcontest idea a seperate thread now....who knows..

Hi Kitcheneers and kitchenettes,

that kitchen eurovision songcontest could be fun....we should make it a worldvision songcontest so that CrystalSuzy can enter  a song on behalf of Canada. We tried to start some other new competitions not with very much succes....but who is in for this???

so far Zedd, Morten and I are in, so i think Ireland, Norway and the Netherlands are competing  ;D ;D ;D ;D. Deadline the day before new years eve....perhaps we can have a sort fo 'live' voting via the forum, with each awarding twelve / douze / twolf point, ten / dix / zehn points and eight / huit / acht points to the top three....

i like the idea, make a typical eurovision songcontest song or a song that represents your country, with or without a video, it is allowed to not shave your beard and wear a dress, or you can go for the more classical ballad type of eurovision song....Songs should be around 3 minutes and 20 seconds maximum....

who would be in??? As for the many members of the UK.....i guess who says: Aye first can respresent your country  ;D ;D ;D, but i think we can take multiple contestants from one country or you could for a band  ;D ;D ;D ;D

come on, i know you all want a good old competition  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

[Unquote]
me, myself, and Pie

Re: worldvision songcontest in the kitchen?
Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 18:32:34
Ha!! I didn't expect this out of my mention on McGroth's post...

What I actually meant was that we collaborate on one song and see if we can actually enter them in our respective countries  - but it was a flippant suggestion and this is a much better one although as a writer of mostly dark songs, I'm not sure how I'd fare with the challenge of a Euro-friendly song.. An interesting and good challenge  I think.. When I tried HarmonicaJon's "dust" theme, I wrote a whole lyric which turned into a jokey song about a double-agent which I doubt will go anywhere  and I haven't put it to music yet - not normally the way I write either :) :) Not sure how that happened exactly...

Anyhoo.. some food for thought here..

Z

Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 11:59:02
Not sure what the eurovision song contest it all about...or a world-vision contest :-[ is there a theme that you write about or what?? what the idea of it ??? ??? sorry for Canadian ignorance  :-[

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• more
Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 15:08:05
aahh, how to explain the type of music that is typical for the Eurovision song contest....songwriters from Europe help me here, how to explain what that songcompetition is all about...to people who have been spared this annual european 'climax' in songwriting
the songs are usually a bit overboard, and so are the artists, ballads are too sweet, everything is often a bit over the top (too many dansers, fireworks, light effects etc.) , it is often kitsch, and as the voters (the people at home and a jury) have to be persuaded to vote everyone tries to have a hook / chorus that after listening to it one time sticks to the mind like glue....or these use a gimmick, something visual so that they are remembered at least (as about 30 countries compete the whole thing is you need to do something to stick out, use an uncommon instrument, or dress weird etc). It can be pretty bad  ;D ;D ;D ;D. To give an example, last year a man with a beard in a dress won called Conchita Wurst (from Austria), which is no problem, but it just gives an idea:

and here is compilation of some of the weirdest acts

well, some of the winners also have been very good (e.g., from ireland), but a lot of the entries are overboard as you can see...

well, come to think of it...perhaps this probably is not a good idea for starting a songwriting competition on our kitchen forum  ;D ;D ;D

Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 01:36:52
:) :) :) So in other words, Europe's songwriters gay parade  :) :) :) LOL! Thanks for sharing those videos DB...they were a hoot, but good God!

I don't think I could come up with anything close to any of those songs, let a lone music videos  :o :o :o

worldvision songcontest in the kitchen?
Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 21:37:22
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 23:33:12 by Zedd »
Ha! You're not wrong CS! Or would you really want to more to the point!

The Irish nation once voted through a Turkey puppet as our contestant much to the organisers' annoyance at the irreverence of such a gesture...  It's certainly an unusual phenomenon - when I was a child many moons ago EVERYONE used to watch it.. There's still great competition amongst kids who get very attached to their favourites... But now only among the VERY young kids.. Not sure if you're familiar with Riverdance, but it was born out of Eurovision - it was the interval act one of the last times it was held in Ireland... Too much information?

Anyways I think you & DB are right - mad idea!!

Z

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• more
Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 17:51:36
ha @ Suzy again....i just realised i could ask our own Dr. Stylus, he who helps us understand all things that are beyond our abilities, to explain to what a typical eurovison songcontest song who be and what the competition is all about....i will see whether he is prepared to share his infinite wisdom again in his Dr. Stylus thread.....

• AdamH
  • Apprentice
  • Karma hunter

• December 12, 2014, 07:39:32
  • more
Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 11:52:58
Hi guys, thanks for the invite. Just don't have the time at the moment, sorry. But ill try to keep an eye of progress and maybe next time. Fun Idea. In fact this year I've written my first two collaborations (someone else's tune, and then someone else's words). Both friends but neither were directly involved. Very good experience. Happy Christmas song lovers ...