• Collaborations - the bad!
  • Started by Bill from November Sound
Collaborations - the bad!
on: November 13, 2020, 03:13:14
Have you had bad experiences with collaborations?
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

• LePlongeur
  • Executive Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Today at 10:47:59
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Re: Collaborations - the bad!
Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 07:35:58
I am too shallow for depression or long lasting foul moods.
So I have no horror stories to offer here @Bill from November Sound

But my search continues untill I find a rotten collaboration.
I promise.

But have you had any bad collabs?
Kind regards, Gus

Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 22:24:12
Wait @LePlongeur am I to understand you are trying to get involved in a lousy collaboration?  ;D :lol:

Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 14:40:38
For purposes of conversation I'm also including studio work (paid or unpaid) as "collaboration" .
  ::trumpet::    ::e-guitar:: ::Dutch::

• Mo
  • Rotisseur

• Today at 09:56:37
  • more
Reply #4 on: November 15, 2020, 14:42:46

Hi,  this quote I cut off from my statement in "Collaborations - the good!"
and put it here into the right thread.

But i have to state that often the personal attitudes are what a collab to me does maybe difficult..  Often there are misunderstandings and a lack of communication to synchronize with another. What i really don't like if a collab goes silent and got never finished or minimum bring it to an end, don't need to end in a 'hit' The way is the aim but bring to end was once was started and don't leave the other behind by cover it with silent......maybe a personal thing by my own to like to have this as kind of minimum  work wise standart though. ::)

Reply #5 on: November 15, 2020, 20:01:57
I've that happen @Mo  you do all this work and then ..... nothing.  :-\

• oorlab
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • savoir vivre

• Yesterday at 18:59:13
    • netherlands
    • https://twitter.com/oorlab https://soundcloud.com/oorlab
  • more
Reply #6 on: November 18, 2020, 22:59:31
Bad experiences with collaborations - not really. Some 8 years ago i was in an online group of collaborators. we managed to finish 10 songs in a year, around the theme of the sea. After that it became a bit predictable, so we put what we had in 1 album and went our online separate ways. Still good friends online though. I guess if we would have lived nearby, it would have led to live perfomances one way or the other.
new guitar 4-6-2020 https://soundcloud.com/oorlab/12string-demo1 12string Cort.

Reply #7 on: November 20, 2020, 03:06:59
I did some studio work for someone.
I got him not one but two professional saxophonists to record a horn section for him. No sheet music mind you, I created the parts and harmonies for him.
Special microphones, all kinds of sound checks for mic placement so he could hear the "clicks of the keys" and the "sound of the air" in the recording.  .... :-\
And yet .... when it was all done ...... hours of work......  the horns were so far back in the mix, so quiet ....  you wouldn't even know they were there.  :-[ 
So much for a "pro" studio.    >:(

Reply #8 on: November 21, 2020, 18:26:27
What I learned from this is to always be respectful of people who I ask to record parts for me.

Always give them a featured part or solo of some sort.

Always put them forward in the mix!
If you can't turn them up then use subtractive EQ on the other tracks so they get their own space in the mix.

Some people may disagree with this. This is just what I do because I know how I feel when people don't.

• LePlongeur
  • Executive Chef

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #9 on: November 22, 2020, 07:55:59
Wait @LePlongeur am I to understand you are trying to get involved in a lousy collaboration?  ;D :lol:

Yes, well to be honest @Bill from November Sound of course Iíve had some less fortunate things along the way.

I recorded a song. The person insisted he needed the individual tracks of all the parts.
I have spend three evenings to take a song apart, master the ten parts, make 5 cdís of the parts, send them by WeTransfer. And a forth evening to put the song back together again. Only to meet with a total silence, a total absence of reaction.

If it was a rotten song or totally not to the taste of the other person? Soit! I can live with that. But no reaction to all this work? I could have written 5 songs in that space of time.

But I prefer not to think about the collabs that went sour. I will no longer take my equipment beyond the possibilities of its design and guard my frontiers better.
Better for my health and for my fun as well.
And keep good collars in mind. Yours with @Mylene, @Zedd with whatís his name and my own with Chris. To name a few.
Kind regards, Gus

Reply #10 on: November 22, 2020, 13:06:37
Ha! I got a bit of a fright when I got a notification that I was named in this thread!!!!! Relieved to hear itís a positive mention. Iíll pass your mention on to JB..... Weíre still collaborating a lot - I donít post them in the Kitchen (or my solo stuff) as I donít have the time to engage here as much as Iíd need to be to feel I can post. Iíve always been a firm believer in give and take when it comes to posting and reviewing.

@LePlongeur  Thanks for the mention - and lovely to Ďseeí you, Gus!!!  Iíll take this opportunity to check out your recent material... take care!!

For my part, Iíve only collaborated with a few people and theyíve all been positive experiences...

K

• LePlongeur
  • Executive Chef

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #11 on: November 22, 2020, 16:35:42
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 16:59:12 by LePlongeur »
Yes, JB now I remember Jambrains. I couldnít @Jambrains him because I couldnít get past whathisname.
You know how much I love your music so donít be scared again if I mention you.
@Zedd
Kind regards, Gus

xx
My Kitchen Collaborations

Started by Jurgen on Collaborations

4 Replies
Last post October 30, 2016, 08:38:42
by Jurgen
xx
Collaborations - the good!

Started by Bill from November Sound on Collaborations

8 Replies
Last post November 15, 2020, 20:00:57
by Bill from November Sound
xx
How to find partners for collaborations

Started by fischermans on The kitchen cafť

5 Replies
Last post January 25, 2014, 15:48:08
by Dutchbeat
xx
Zen in a Nightclub - 'The Four Winds' - Collaborations now open!

Started by Monty Cash Music on Collaborations

28 Replies
Last post May 06, 2020, 04:15:02
by Monty Cash Music
xx
Bad Choices -

Started by eblossman on Songs for review

6 Replies
Last post October 09, 2020, 19:30:41
by Tolo