Author Topic: competition ideas (now the write-a-song-about-your-hometown competition thread)  (Read 1482 times)

Offline Jambrains

• Chef de Partie
  • Karma coins: 350
  • You ain't seen nothing yet..
Re: New competition ideas
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2018, 21:01:55 »
but......can i challenge you....to join in....and put your karma coins where your mouth is  ;D ;D
that you are going to write a really-good-song about the Swedish place you came from??? ;D ;D ;D ;D would be really nice if you would join  ::thumb::
Sorry DB, been there, done that. Both Fade and 4th of July are about my home town and I think I'm done with that subject matter.
And that aside, writing a song based on some pre-conditions is just not for me. Did the comp thing once and to be frank I found it a wast of time. Fun for the moment but nothing that I can look back upon and feel proud of, could have used that time to write a 'proper' song instead.
Your mileage will vary of course, these kind of comps is just not my thing.
Let man's petty nations tear themselves apart
My land's only borders lie around my heart

Offline Mar T.

• Senior Site Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • Karma coins: 1609
  • Pay it forward! (watch that movie..)
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2018, 00:50:53 »
Hey @Dutchbeat and @Mar T.  ..... what if we change the voting this time? Everything the same except you can give your highest number of points to equal 50% of the contestants.

Say there are 16 contestants = max points of 8

What do you think?  :)

Hey @Bill from November Sound , yep there's never been a strict way of defining how many points will be available, we just chose a # of points for every voter to give away  ;) . It's a matter of ask/demand. When we hear (in general) 'we need more point to spend when voting' we raise the points, and if we hear 'man there were way too many points' we decrease it.

Are you proposing that if we have 10 entries, we should be able to give 5 points max to one entry? And how many points should we all have in this case in total to spread over the options?
To be clear there's 2 variables:
-Max nr of points per entry a voter can give
-Total points to be spread over all options.

In case of 10 entries (and with your proposal) we could say there's max 15 points to spread over all options and max 5 per option. Is that what you're suggesting?
And what do the others think? Would that work?

Let us know!
Cheers!
:mart:

Offline Bill from November Sound

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2018, 01:35:14 »
@Mar T.    @Dutchbeat
So 1.5x the number of entries for total points? ....and max .5x total number of contestants? Maybe that would be good.

You could also have the total number of points be equal to the total of contestants.
So: 10 contestants = 10 points spread out but max = 5 points for any one.
      16 contestants = 16 points spread out but max = 8 points for any one.

...... but what if there are only 5 contestants  ???     Just thinking out loud here....  :)

Maybe the formula needs to be a bit more complicated.

Any ideas from @MichaelA , @DanJames , @MrBouzouki, @CrystalSuzy , @Mark Luto , anybody..... ?

Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

Offline Mar T.

• Michelin Starred Chef
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2018, 01:40:23 »
Ok clear @Bill from November Sound , thanks for the clarification!! And indeed I'm curious about the opinions of the ones you mentioned and everybody else!

Btw, we're considering renaming 'Competitions' to 'Challenges', as existing members we got used to 'Competitions' but for our new kitcheners maybe a 'Challenge' might sound a bit more friendly.. We'll keep the 'competition' element though by voting together for the (commonly perceived as) 'best' entry (and only presenting the top-5 results in public).

Cheers!

Offline monty_lameer

• Patissier
  • Karma coins: 28
  • Can't even boil an egg!
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2018, 14:39:00 »
Oh, I definitely would join! If I could write a song at all. lol. Unfortunately, due to my technical issues, I cannot.

Hi @monty_lameer

i also like option 4 and option 9....but just wondering, would you also in for joining if we choose option 2???

option 2 is something like this:
(quote)
"'write-a song-about-your-hometown" songwriting competition

could be the place where you were born, the place where you grew up, or even the place where you live now

but go down in memory lane a bit.....dig up some warm nostalgic feelings / images, or more negative memories, everything is allowed"

would be nice if you would join that challenge too  ::thumb::, so far i think:

@Leonard Scaper
@Dakoda (who came up with the idea)
@Bill from November Sound
@CrystalSuzy
@Mar T.
and @myself

expressed interest in trying to write a song for this challenge. Are you also in?  ;D ;D ;D

"But never have I been a blue calm sea...I have always been a storm" - Stevie Nicks

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever. 😽

Offline Dutchbeat

• MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • Karma coins: 1283
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2018, 17:47:49 »
Oh, I definitely would join! If I could write a song at all. lol. Unfortunately, due to my technical issues, I cannot.

Hi @monty_lameer

i also like option 4 and option 9....but just wondering, would you also in for joining if we choose option 2???

(quote)

could be the place where you were born, the place where you grew up, or even the place where you live now

but go down in memory lane a bit.....dig up some warm nostalgic feelings / images, or more negative memories, everything is allowed"

@Leonard Scaper
@CrystalSuzy
@Mar T.
and @myself

expressed interest in trying to write a song for this challenge. Are you also in?  ;D ;D ;D

you can always try.... @monty_lameer ....... ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)

looking for brave kitcheneers and kitchenettes who are willing to try this songwriting challenge...

and @Dakoda we don't have an option to notify all members about this new songwriting challenge via an @all option....but we do send out songwriters in the kitchen newsletters once in a while......via e-mails.....i think it would be good to to announce this in a new newsletter

and also include a brief item in the newsletter about who won the last songwriting contest  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

i am extremely busy the next week with that think called "work"......perhaps we can set the deadline for this competition to the end of May?
i could use some more timemyeself this time

anyway......we are still looking for more contestants for this new songwriting challenge

Feel free to join!  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::
I lost it...ages ago

Offline CrystalSuzy

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • Karma coins: 535
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2018, 00:38:07 »
Hi @monty_lameer

(quote)

@Leonard Scaper
@CrystalSuzy
@Mar T.
and @myself

I'm kind of busy with some band gigs coming up, so I'm not totally committed to joining this comp right now :whistle:  but I will give it some thought  ::Suzy::
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 00:39:49 by CrystalSuzy »

Offline DanJames

• Poissonier
  • Karma coins: 85
  • Karma Hunter
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2018, 21:18:50 »
Evening all. @Dutchbeat Is this competition/challenge official yet? If so, could I write about my home country as opposed to my hometown? If I can, iím in. If not, Iím out! I definitely donít want to be penalised for rule-bending ....

Offline Leonard Scaper

• Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Karma coins: 978
  • Guest Chef
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2018, 21:50:37 »
Hey @DanJames ....I'm thinking that your home country is just a larger place wrapped around your home town. I'll be looking forward to hearing your song about it.

I think we're trying to be a bit more relaxed about this challenge. Looking for lots more folks to get in.

8)
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

Offline monty_lameer

• Patissier
  • Karma coins: 28
  • Can't even boil an egg!
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2018, 07:11:27 »
@Dutchbeat I would if I could! I literally have no sound from my computer! lol

Offline CrystalSuzy

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • Karma coins: 535
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2018, 07:36:44 »
Actually, I will have a song to enter after-all.  ::Note:: I got kind of inspired last night and almost have something finished  ::Suzy:: that's a first for me ;D ;D

Offline Dutchbeat

• MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • Karma coins: 1283
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2018, 19:17:44 »
that is great to hear @CrystalSuzy  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: i will add you to the list of contestants

and @DanJames , yes of course it is very ok to write a song about your country too...so i will also add you to the contestant list....

and yes, this songwriting challenge is now officialy running....the deadline is end of May

that gives @Marti and @Bill from November Sound  enough time to work out how we will vote for the winner, and set up the automated voting poll  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

and it gives more kitcheneers of kitchenettes the opportunity to join this songwriting challenge....

so far we now have the following list of songwriters who want try to write something for this....

"'write-a song-about-your-hometown" (or the place where you were born, or where you grew up, or the contry you live in....) songwriting competition

list of contestants so far:

@Leonard Scaper
@Dakoda  (who came up with the idea)
@CrystalSuzy
@Mar T.
@DanJames
@Dutchbeat

feel free to join in!

Offline Mar T.

• Michelin Starred Chef
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2018, 01:18:05 »
Good work @Dutchbeat , organizing this one! We-need-more-contestants!!! Feel welcome to join kitcheners!! There's room for at least 20 more of you!!   ::thumb:: ::thumb::  :whistle: :whistle: :blackgrin: :blackgrin:

Cheers!
:mart:

Online LePlongeur

• Rotisseur
  • Karma coins: 147
  • In Tartiflette we trust
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2018, 06:54:18 »
Hi @Dutchbeat
I've got a feeling that somebody's been cheating.
Yes. I'm afraid somebody from the management let out the rumour prematurely and it's been picked up rather quickley:

So, whatever the out come, I'll closely follow this challenge but I won't participate.
Plus that I'm travelling for the monts to come sooo.....

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE WITH THIS ONE. And @ all others: Look over your shoulder. There's serious game rigging going on (smiley!)

Kind regards, Gus

Online LePlongeur

• Rotisseur
  • Karma coins: 147
  • In Tartiflette we trust
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2018, 07:45:22 »
Who says a man canít be fickle? @Mar T.
OK, so:
Can I join the challenge after all, please?
Yesterday evening I wrote an Amsterdam song that is far enough from the Buck Owens thingy to make the corners of your mouth curl up. Which is exactly whatís needed in a contest about home towns.

If I can think up a melody and record it either today (King Willyís birthday) or tomorrow, can I post it already?

So
- if I can post already, will you put me on the list please?

Will you let me know the verdict please?
Thank you!
Kind regards, Gus

edit
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 09:05:29 by LePlongeur »

granny-blade