• Started by habiTat
  • habiTat
  • Rotisseur

• November 15, 2018, 14:21:36
  • more
Pass The Dutchy - official comp thread
on: January 11, 2014, 10:04:43
Hello Kitchenistas!

Welcome to our brand new Kitchen round table. We are going to play 'Pass The Dutchy'. If everyone can grab a drink and take a seat I'll begin.

Step 1 - Write some lyrics (no rules here, whatever you like) once you've written something and are happy, say "done". (use this thread for this once we begin)

Once everyone has said "done" we move to step 2.

Step 2 - Pass your lyrics to the person sitting to your left (the seating plan will be posted soon) you will therefore simultaneously be given some lyrics by the person on your right.

Step 3 - With the lyrics you've just been given, compose and record a simple multitrack demo (to a click track) minimum two tracks (one vocal and one instrument). keep it dry and unproduced. Say "done" when you are done.

Step 4 - Pass that demo (as dry mp3 or wav files, plus any info eg. chords/bpm etc) to the person to your left, you will simultaneously receive a demo from the person to your right.

Step 5 - Do your best to produce your newly received demo, add whatever you like, instruments, harmonies, fx, backing vocals etc. You can speed it up, slow it down, add a dance beat, whatever you like. Once you've finished it, say "done"

Step 6 - Everybody post your finished productions.

This will begin on Feb 1st and will run for approx 2 months, no fixed deadline though. (There are too many deadlines in real life) The speed of the steps will depend on us all saying "done" so we can all move along the stages as a group.

The seating plan will be announced in an exciting launch video to be posted on Feb 1st, please, if you want to play and haven't yet said, please do so before Jan 25th.

So far we have these people interested...

DB
Michael
Kafla
habiTat
Binladeda???
Digger
Sienna little

It is for fun and to help us learn so don't worry if you are not that confident, at the Kitchen, we are all friends :)

Anyone else fancy this?

Re: Pass The Dutchy - official comp thread
Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 13:43:00
I would like to try this, but I'm a little concerned about the production category ::) do we have to do all 3??

• habiTat
  • Rotisseur

• more
Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 22:07:46
I would like to try this, but I'm a little concerned about the production category ::) do we have to do all 3??

I think we do really cos it's a circle thing where we all do a bit and then pass it on.

My production skills are pretty poor Suzy but I'm hoping to learn by working on someone else's song. Anyway from what I've heard from you, you don't need to worry, that 10 minute peacemaker thing was outstanding!

Go on, have a go, help and advice is allowed if you need it, I'm sure fellow kitchenites will be happy to assist :)

Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 01:32:08
I guess what my concern is...how do I add other instruments, like the bass, if I can't play them very well? If I can get someone to help with this if I need it, then count me in :) :)

Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 11:02:41

Hi Hab,

Sorry mate.....going to have to bow out of this one.  Just not going to have the time to do it justice ::)
  Plus, I've got my sister and her kids coming over from the States in March......and will probably be going
  travelling/visiting with her.

• digger72
  • Chef de Partie
  • The Comfortably Strange

• September 20, 2017, 10:11:34
  • more
Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 11:07:16
Suzy, you have one of the most original ways of putting songs together I've heard in a long time - i'm 100% sure you can do this.

Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 11:45:07
Suzy, my last demo was the first time properly using VST's, so right there with you ;)

S
Journalist by day, singer-songwriter at night

Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 13:01:06
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 13:03:52 by crystalsuzy »
thanks for the vote of confidence digger, but it's a pretty impressive group of people to be working with  :-[  I'm deep in the throws of the 2 chord song comp at the moment and things aren't looking that good  ::) so not sure about doing this as well :-\ when will this start?

production takes a long time to learn to do properly and I'm such a novice, but I guess we just keep chipping away at it sienna  :) :)

• habiTat
  • Rotisseur

• more
Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 14:19:50
This will start on Feb 1st, a video will be used to launch the comp and announce the random draw for the seating plan.

So far we have...

DB
Michael
Kafla
habiTat
Digger
Sienna little
Crystalsuzy

We need to make the launch video sometime before the 30th so please say soon if you want to be part of this..

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Yesterday at 23:59:04
  • more
Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 18:59:14
i like this idea of passing the project.....which is called the Dutchy even :-)

an idea from over here..yes, we still have time  ;D ;D ;D.....could we add an extra pass the Dutchy phase in this totally new Pass the Dutchy comp concept ....

the next one has to (try to) make a video of some sort for the song....

could just be stills...or a black square, or any visible artwork in any form will be good

but, i already know, suzy & Habitat, i I make (music)videos for the fun of it, i know Siennalittle makes great videos, i know that from the project for homeless dogs, and Paul, Kafla and Fisch also seem to know to handle a camera (a bit  ;D ;D ;D) Digger also loves the camera  ;D ;D ;D

me, myself, and Pie

• habiTat
  • Rotisseur

• more
Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 20:49:30
Well I'm happy to do a little vid  ;D

We don't want to put people off though, maybe it should be optional, after the songs are 'released' for all to hear ??

Or not?

I don't know, what does everyone think?

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Yesterday at 23:59:04
  • more
Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 21:50:04
the Kitcheneers that signed in can handle it
i think  ;D

all we need is Fischermans, Binladeda, Sciencebase, Sandman, Stylus, Seriousfun, MOSP, onemanband, benjo, jmacdon etc. etc. etc. to sign in

and stages we are not good at, i reckon others are allowed to help

right?  8) ???

because i am poor at all stages, but you all figured that out by now  ;D ;D ;D ;D

• habiTat
  • Rotisseur

• more
Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 22:05:41
Yes, I think help is allowed, but the songs must not be made public until they are all finished, so we all reveal our songs on the same day, (be that with a video we don't yet know  :-\ )

What I mean is, we can't post them as works in progress, if we need any help we must do it via PM or email.

Is that ok?

Is everyone ok with attempting to make a video as part of this? (even if it is very basic, like a slideshow or black screen  ;D )

DB is right, you are all very capable  ;D

Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 22:22:54
sounds like a great comp this one, not sure though to take part, i'm not feeling too grand about it haha! the production is a no go and writing lyrics takes me forever!!
fly away and find my peace of mind...
http://soundcloud.com/man-of-simple-pleasures

Reply #14 on: January 16, 2014, 22:51:09
Haha, all I did for the Pawprint vid was send in some footage of my dogs.
I'm afraid I don't know anything about making vids :p

S

xx
Comp idea - Pass The Dutchy

Started by habiTat on Challenges

14 Replies
Last post January 27, 2014, 13:01:57
by Dutchbeat
xx
pass the dutchy comp lyrics from me

Started by Dutchbeat on Lyrics

7 Replies