• Michelin Starred Chef
  • Pay it forward! (watch that movie..)

• Today at 19:13:11
    • Duiven
  • more
Gentle reminder: give and take on our forum
on: April 21, 2017, 04:46:40
Hi all,

Interaction is going up these days in our kitchen. Just to make sure we'll give the interaction a major lift off: please let me gently stress that if we all give a little bit more than we take the interaction will explode. And that's what we want!

So if you have any spare time, please respond to posts of your fellow kitcheners. Whether it's posts in the 'Life' section, in the 'Me' section, in 'Songs for review', 'Live performance'... whatever section/post that catches your interest.

Because every interaction will result in more interaction! I'm sure we certainly don't want this community to become a showcase of people only sharing their stuff. Get involved, be one of us!

Here's our guidelines again where we explain the culture in our kitchen for everybody searching for behavioral directions: https://www.songwriter-forum-kitchen.com/forum/forum-newsupdates/17/guidelines-for-new-members/2238/

Cheers dear fellows!
:mart:

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 20:35:43
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Re: Gentle reminder: give and take on our forum
Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 12:22:42
If I might add to that @Mar T. ......

There is an amazingly eclectic mix of music being posted here in "Songs For Review" and I invite folks to boldly cross over from their comfort zone and give everything a listen. I, for instance, have been developing a new odd affinity (;)) toward EDM and synth based music from listening to the music of folks like @IsleofSkye @ImKeN @SilverBeat @Mutrins and, of course, the Master of the Dutch Beat, @Dutchbeat .

Also......I love it when someone tells me about something that they did not like about my song. As songwriters, we can really benefit from hearing that kind of stuff in a family atmosphere like this. So...be honest, but be kind.  8)
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• ImKeN
  • Poissonier
  • Don't forget to have fun while you're at it!

• May 13, 2018, 11:25:53
    • Japan
    • https://soundcloud.com/imken-2
  • more
Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 13:44:02
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 13:46:16 by ImKeN »
Roger that, @Mar T. & @Leonard Scaper !

Should I critique back those who critique me, even if I don't really know their genre? 'Cause some of the guys who critique my stuff have music that I don't know much about, or, they sound so good that I can't say much about it. So I can't really offer them much. But if it's okay to just say something simple like, "It's sounding great," or, "Beautiful stuff," then I think I can reply to a whole lot more material. I sometimes get a couple of words with an emoji and I still appreciate that kind of feedback. But is this acceptable, behavior?

One thing I try to do to keep the balance in the kitchen, in my own little way, is to reply to posts that have the least replies. It's very tempting to post something on a great song that has 20 or more replies, already. But this is also flawed because then I'm judging by numbers and not by the quality of the critiques/feedbacks. But saying, "I like your song," or, "good production quality," or, " ::headphone:: ::dj:: ::thumb::," isn't that also GOOD feedback? If I had to choose between that or nothing at all, I would prefer something rather than nothing because nothing is already a negative by default.

I'm pretty sure others have mentioned this a thousand times before so I'll take a look at the guidelines again. Just wanted to vent a little. Haha.

Thanks!

Ken
"Is it stable, or, unstable? Wax on, wax off." ~ Pat Pattison

https://soundcloud.com/imken-2

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 14:12:50
But saying, "I like your song," or, "good production quality," or, " ::headphone:: ::dj:: ::thumb::," isn't that also GOOD feedback?

I think anything is good, really, Ken. Just knowing that folks are listening to our songs can be enough to push us to further ourselves. @Goatie never says much but I love seeing that emogi. Sometimes just the emogi is better than piling on praise because you feel as if you should.  8)

It doesn't have to be a critique. I have found that there is something in most every song that I like and can comment on.

• ImKeN
  • Poissonier

• Japan
  • more
Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 15:33:00
I think anything is good, really, Ken. Just knowing that folks are listening to our songs can be enough to push us to further ourselves.
It doesn't have to be a critique. I have found that there is something in most every song that I like and can comment on.

Thanks Leonard (@Leonard Scaper), I feel the same and so I will do the same. Cheers!

• Mar T.
  • Senior Site Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• Duiven
  • more
Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 16:18:40
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 16:21:27 by Mar T. »
Excellent discussion here @Leonard Scaper and @ImKeN ! There's no good/bad or right/wrong to reply to posts.. Any reply can be used by the poster and will be appreciated..

We had some discussion in the past about feedback here: https://www.songwriter-forum-kitchen.com/forum/life/3/how-do-we-provide-helpful-feedback-to-each-other/1540/
So this are examples showing how we can add useful feedback to others. You see there's no single truth (although reading the different perspectives of others in that thread provides a kind of common sense).
Feel free to continue the discussion in the mentioned thread btw...

It's perfectly fine to quickly respond to songs, and I perfectly agree with @Leonard Scaper that any reply is better than no reply.

Look! The kitchen activity meter shows 'Kitchen insanity'! That's what we want  ;) ;)

• ImKeN
  • Poissonier

• Japan
  • more
Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 17:29:16
Thanks for the thread @Mar T.  I will take note of it and work on my feedback strategy. Haha.

Thanks for the talk, guys!

• oorlab
  • Chef de Partie
  • savoir vivre

• March 19, 2019, 00:09:14
    • netherlands
    • https://twitter.com/oorlab https://soundcloud.com/oorlab
  • more
Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 22:42:17
 ::thumb::
the original poster of a new song culd state what kdin of feedback he / she is seeking, like - I have some pretty chords but I can't nail the beat properly - any ideas?

all in all - the interaction on this forum is brilliant! Can't complain.
recommending https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Music_Works "How music works", book by David Byrne.

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 23:12:58
the original poster of a new song culd state what kdin of feedback he / she is seeking, like - I have some pretty chords but I can't nail the beat properly - any ideas?

I agree...and I think most folks who are looking for constructive crits are pretty good about that.

I also agree that, all in all, this is the most interactive forum of this kind I have ever seen. 

Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 01:01:03

all in all - the interaction on this forum is brilliant! Can't complain.

Agree that by stating at the outset what feedback you're seeking and/ or even in the thread title (for ex - [song title] mixing advice needed), you'll focus the feedback.

We've talked about forms etc before but I think the track preamble can seek advice in free form.. helps the songwriter and the reviewers...

K

• Mar T.
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• Duiven
  • more
Reply #10 on: May 29, 2017, 00:04:51
Bump again, plz everybody read the opening post..
Cheers!

Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 02:12:04
with utmost respect to you all..... I have asked for feedback about specific things or help with specific musical items and I got very little that was of any use.

I asked for help with panning of the strings yet I was told to get a different singer (that would be my wife.....not the best idea). I was told to get a real drummer  (I do have one....my son.....probably shouldn't fire him). I was told that I should get a better guitar player ( I was fortunate enough to get a SC friend from Scotland to do it.....). 

I put a song in for the New Years contest where I was told to listen to one of the member's straight ahead jazz pieces to learn how to create room ambiance for the drum-set. Does "Spencer Street" really sound like straight ahead jazz to you all? There isn't even a drum-set as it is only cajon, piano and voice. 

Anyway, I have met some excellent friends here and a number of them have stopped do anything in the kitchen for this exact reason.

Maybe it is wrong to post this here. I won't be offended if the moderators want to delete this or move this.

Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

• Mar T.
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• Duiven
  • more
Reply #12 on: June 27, 2017, 02:19:54
Hey @Bill from November Sound I'm sorry you feel this way. As you know we (staff) are doing anything in our power to provide a nice kitchen experience in a positive ambience. I've just been on vacation for three weeks, so I was not as active as usual, mostly following as much as I can on my mobile.
To me the feel here is quite positive, can you tell me what happened?

Reply #13 on: June 27, 2017, 04:15:19
Well I pretty much said it in that post.
Before your bump post others were suggesting to ask for specific feedback so I'm in essence replying to that.

This thread is about "give and take" and sadly from my 800+ SoundCloud friends the "kitchen" subgroup  (with the exception of you and about three others) is all "take and no give".

There are also threads about advertising the kitchen which I would have been happy to do. I don't know how specific you want me to be but some of the musicians that I am greatly inspired by have been driven away from this forum. The kitchen doesn't just need people to join. The kitchen needs people to join and stay.

• Mar T.
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• Duiven
  • more
Reply #14 on: June 27, 2017, 10:03:21
Hey @Bill from November Sound sorry man, I don't 'get' what you're aiming at. So maybe I have a huge blindspot, or maybe I'm not quite as sensitive as you.

Seems to me you're talking about events that happened half a year ago. When I read through the 'Spencer Street' thread I read very constructive and supportive feedback.
The reference to a jazzy track from one of our members is supposed to illustrate an example of the reverb that can be used for your track, thus meant to be helpful. I don't see anyone being disrespectful.
We've got to realize that (although we try to connect as much as possible) not everybody who's responding exactly 'knows' you. So if someone has said to find another drummer or singer, then that person was most probably not aware that November Love is a family formation (btw I searched, but I cannot find those comments, can you PM me links to those comments please?).

Furtermore: this thread is about how to manage to get more focussed feedback. I completely agree with the above that being more specific about what type of feedback you're looking for will help raising the chance that you receive more focussed feedback, but of course that's no guarantee, it's not like our staff controls what people say.
Should someone say something that feels disrespectful, you're always free to PM that member to ask for more information, or report that kind of behaviour to our staff.

Of course we want everybody to enjoy the kitchen, have fun, collaborate, provide respectful feedback and share our passion for creating music.
I'm not sure which kitcheners are in your 'kitchen subgroup' on SoundCloud, but I see there was at least 10 different members replied (respectfully) to Spencer Street.
Frankly I believe that our active members core gives and takes, we bump this thread now and then to make sure the newer members are aware that we need a little bit more 'giving' than 'taking'.

So let me ask publicly:
1. Do we all have the feeling the general common sense here is that we take more than we give?
2. Does anybody else have the feeling there's negativity here that's driving members away?

Cheers,

xx
capo d'astro ... a reminder of it's usefulness

Started by MrBouzouki on Songwriting Ingredients

7 Replies
Last post November 10, 2017, 00:59:08
by MrBouzouki
xx
Reminder: giving and taking in the Kitchen...

Started by Mar T. on Forum News/Updates

2 Replies
Last post May 27, 2018, 03:38:50
by Mar T.
xx
Hello. Please be gentle.

Started by Nic on Songs for review

21 Replies
Last post November 20, 2016, 06:12:08
by BrettySpaghetti
xx
Be gentle with me...