• Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 20:37:04
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Re: Gentle reminder: give and take on our forum
Reply #15 on: June 27, 2017, 10:42:57
@Bill from November Sound .......I hear you on this. This is the biggest challenge for a forum such as this.....to establish the give with the take. I have been active in other similar "neighborhoods" and have seen this everywhere. I have also seen that most folks who are active in a pure songwriting forum like ours are here mostly to have a place to showcase their songs and are not very good at "workshopping" with others, even when asked. Because of that, sometimes you are going to hear preconceived notions about what that person would have done if it were their song rather than an objective and specifically helpful critique.

All of the said, I find The Kitchen to be the best I have seen with regard to cooperative spirit. I have only been here for six months or so but in that time I have seen some very helpful critiques and not so many of the other kind......my songs have improved from the help I have been given, even in that short time. I applaud the work of @Mar T. in his constant gentle guidance toward a more balanced posting dialog and I think it will just get better and better in time.

I hate to hear that folks have stayed away from here and I invite them all to come back for another look.

For what it's worth, I have never had the opportunity to review one of your tunes as I joined just after you posted your New Year contest song. I went back and read through that thread....and listened to the song. I definitely would not be looking for another singer.  8)
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• Today at 11:47:39
    • Sheffield, UK
    • https://www.facebook.com/Mr.Bouzouki.Music/ https://www.youtube.com/user/MisterBouzouki https://soundcloud.com/mrbouzouki
  • more
Reply #16 on: June 27, 2017, 11:53:37
I respond to this as a complete newbie to The Kitchen so I can only give my take on what I think of my personal experience so far.

In the past I've been a moderator on a few online forums so 'Hats Off' to the Admins and Mods on here, I know from experience it's not always an easy job.  ::thumb::

I joined this community to expand my musical circles and not feel so totally isolated in my studio garret. Modern musical creation can be a very solo activity and time, situation, energy and age can all play a part in not allowing easy access to other musicians and songwriters. This forum 'feels welcoming' to me so that's a good start.

I wanted a place to get feedback on my create endeavours that was more than a SoundCloud 'like'. I haven't posted any of my songs for comment yet as I've taken onboard the idea of paying ahead for this service.

I like sharing things so I've tried to post up bits and pieces I have discovered (my job before I retired was in science research). I've already absorbed some ideas, styles, sounds others have created and it's all gone into the melting pot in my mind. To me this proves it's already been worth joining.

I don't know, but I suspect, that members are all at different levels of experience in their musical journey, be it due to age, ability, their understanding of technology etc.  This for me is the big thing about making critical comment and the real issue with asking for specifics. On one hand, people would like to make a helpful comment on a song, but on the other, they may not have the capacity to say much beyond their subjective liking / not liking of the submitted piece. Songwriters can be sensitive souls too so with this in mind people can think twice about putting somebody off with too critical a comment.

All online communities have a tendency to ebb and flow. All you can do is set out your stall, try and maintain your principles and keep your beacon shinning. The chances of making everybody happy is zero, but for some at least it will be a better than Facebook, better than SoundCloud, better than <insert other platform here>. In a short-attention span, advert driven, shoot from the hip world, there is much to be said for places like this.  :-)

"Love and Life is all about connections"

• Mar T.
  • Senior Site Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • Pay it forward! (watch that movie..)

• Today at 19:13:11
    • Duiven
  • more
Reply #17 on: June 28, 2017, 03:35:45
..I wanted a place to get feedback on my create endeavours that was more than a SoundCloud 'like'. I haven't posted any of my songs for comment yet as I've taken onboard the idea of paying ahead for this service..
@MrBouzouki you came to the right place. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences and POV.
Absolutely no need to 'pay ahead' for being part of the kitchen service Pete..
Listening to 'Picnic in The Park' while I'm typing, that sounds beautiful..
Promise you'll post that one as your first song in 'Songs for Review'?  ;)
(Oh and I love that acoustic guitar solo in 'Summer Song'..)
Common treat us!
:mart:

• Mar T.
  • Senior Site Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • Pay it forward! (watch that movie..)

• Today at 19:13:11
    • Duiven
  • more
Reply #18 on: August 14, 2017, 01:22:09
Gentle bump, please read the opening post everybody  ;) ;)
:mart:

xx
capo d'astro ... a reminder of it's usefulness

Started by MrBouzouki on Songwriting Ingredients

7 Replies
Last post November 10, 2017, 00:59:08
by MrBouzouki
xx
Reminder: giving and taking in the Kitchen...

Started by Mar T. on Forum News/Updates

2 Replies
Last post May 27, 2018, 03:38:50
by Mar T.
xx
Hello. Please be gentle.

Started by Nic on Songs for review

21 Replies
Last post November 20, 2016, 06:12:08
by BrettySpaghetti
xx
Be gentle with me...