• Senior Site Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • Pay it forward! (watch that movie..)

• Today at 19:13:11
    • Duiven
  • more
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 01:57:33 by Mar T. »
Hi dear kitcheners,

As you all may know, very soon the kitchen will celebrate it's 5th anniversary. The forum has grown last years and became a place where we meet our musical 'family'. We're kind, talented and we respect each other. I'm very proud of that.

Especially for this occasion , we thought it'd be great to give the kitchen a new, more modern 'look-and-feel'.
So behind the scenes, we've been developing and testing that new 'user interface' (thanks @Mark Luto , @Leonard Scaper and @Dutchbeat for your help!). We think we've found a perfect implementation,  still offering all functionality we're used to, but at the same time looking more appealing to new members (the current layout is moving towards the 'old skool' area).

Here's a sneak peek at the new User Interface:

Somewhere in the next weeks (when all testing is done and we're confident the new styling is ready to go) we'll go live.
At that time we hope you enjoy our new look and feel!
I'll open up a thread for feedback/suggestions at the same time, to collect opportunities for future improvements.

Just letting you all know in advance, so we don't freak out when the kitchen looks a bit different somewhere next days/weeks ;)

I'm proud we managed to keep building this community for 5 years already and we're steadily growing. Stay with us and have fun!!
Cheers everybody!!

Mar T.

:mart:
:bloodymarti:

• Mar T.
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• Duiven
  • more
Re: Kitchen 5ys anniversary - New kitchen forum style
Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 17:17:22
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 17:19:19 by Mar T. »
...Aaaand we're live with the new Theme! I hope you like it! If you have any compliments / experience issues let us know!
Let me know if you DON'T see the new theme (and if so: a few reports is enough ;-) )

Cheers!

PS: maybe you need to hard refresh the page to see the new layout (CTRL-F5 on windows, command+shift+R on Mac)

• Sal
  • Vegetable Chef

• January 28, 2019, 21:55:23
    • Netherlands
    • https://vimeo.com/salcocco https://soundcloud.com/salvatore-cocco
  • more
Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 21:56:55
Looks great! A nice professional touch!  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

This thread however, still has that old vintage look.  ;) For old times sake? :)

Greetz!
Sal

Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 23:17:57
Hi @Mar T. ,
It looks great! But, the avatars look bigger and thus blurry.....at least to me...... will we load up higher rsolution avatar pics in the future?

Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

• Mar T.
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• Duiven
  • more
Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 23:40:14
Looks great! A nice professional touch!  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

This thread however, still has that old vintage look.  ;) For old times sake? :)

Greetz!
Sal
Thx man! Mmm strange.. @Leonard Scaper reported that too.. You did refresh the page and cleared the browser's cache? Had that problem on my machine as well, and it just went away after a while (and closing and opening browsers).. Let me know is this keeps happening..
And the rest of the site works completely in the new style in your browser?

Hi @Mar T. ,
It looks great! But, the avatars look bigger and thus blurry.....at least to me...... will we load up higher rsolution avatar pics in the future?

Cheers @Bill from November Sound ! Yes the avatars are a bit bigger, so maybe we all have to upload a higer-rez avatar.. I cannot change the rez of course, I can change the size that's being shown, but I kind of like this size..

• Mark Luto
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • Enthusiastic Dilettante

• March 16, 2019, 18:56:00
    • Zurich, Switzerland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MarkLutoMusic/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2oOby1sRdVp60eBi8msivQ https://soundcloud.com/markluto
  • more
Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 00:23:52
Hi @Mar T. ,
Cheers @Bill from November Sound ! Yes the avatars are a bit bigger, so maybe we all have to upload a higer-rez avatar.. I cannot change the rez of course, I can change the size that's being shown, but I kind of like this size..

Hey @Mar T.

Looks great indeed. Good job! 8)

I just re-uploaded my avatar. But it's still blurry. Resolution of the original file is 800x800. And when I download it again in the browser, it's only 65x65. Is there a way to increase the resolution in which those images are stored?

• Mar T.
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• Duiven
  • more
Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 00:27:14
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 03:32:24 by Mar T. »
Ok @Mark Luto , I found the problem. The resizing from 65x65 to 130x130 makes the avatars blurry indeed. The problem is that I cannot upscale the resolution. So you found a good solution to reupload a bigger version of your avatar.
Unfortunately for one or the other reason I've concluded that avatar uploading has a bug in it (must have been there before the transition to the new Theme). I've added solving this point to my todo list.

A workaround here: if you really want to update anyway, the only path is to link to an external avatar (somewhere on a different website) first, by choosing:
'Specify avatar by URL' and enter the https link to your (just for the purpose, choose a link to a random image..) avatar. Click save (bottom of page).
If you then revisit that page and choose: 'Upload an avatar' and point to an avatar file on your machine, and click save (at the bottom of the page) it'll work. I tried this procedure as well and I now have a 130x130 avatar stored on our kitchen server.

I noticed not everybody was allowed to upload a custom avatar (had to do with space requirements on the server back then), I enabled it for everybody now.

Hope that procedure works for everybody, if not: let me know!

Cheers! Mar T.

Reply #7 on: August 27, 2018, 01:49:01
Thanks @Mar T.  - you're the best!

There are quite a few kitcheners that haven't been around in while - so maybe an email blast or something to get people to see the new look?

• Mar T.
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• Duiven
  • more
Reply #8 on: August 27, 2018, 01:52:38
Thanks @Mar T.  - you're the best!

There are quite a few kitcheners that haven't been around in while - so maybe an email blast or something to get people to see the new look?

Thanks!! We will @Bill from November Sound ! But first I'm off to Mallorca next week; maybe someone of the mids/mods can help create a newsletter..

@Mark Luto I edited the post above about the avatars. Found a workaround..

• Mar T.
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• Duiven
  • more
Reply #9 on: August 27, 2018, 02:02:18
Btw @Bill from November Sound , I think that works in our advance to wait a week before mailing everybody..
Since the active users will see the new look-and-feel this week, we can collect and solve issues before we mail the mass  ;) ;)
But great idea, we'll do that in one and a half week or so  ;) ;)

::thumb:: ::thumb::

Cheers!

Reply #10 on: August 27, 2018, 16:23:23
Wonderful, have to get used to it, but it looks great !  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::
also a goat understands a joke

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• Today at 11:47:39
    • Sheffield, UK
    • https://www.facebook.com/Mr.Bouzouki.Music/ https://www.youtube.com/user/MisterBouzouki https://soundcloud.com/mrbouzouki
  • more
Reply #11 on: August 27, 2018, 16:36:58
Just back from holiday and I'm liking the new look.

::OSMAN:: ::OSMAN:: ::OSMAN::

One idea @Mar T. might be having a pause option for the header animation as it might act as a distraction for people over time.

Having a toggle  button that can stop the animation if you want would be perfect I reckon. Only active for the session you login in with.
Maybe even a switch in your config if a member really doesn't like it that could turn if off for good if you just aren't keen.
"Love and Life is all about connections"

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 20:18:59
  • more
Reply #12 on: August 27, 2018, 17:27:59
psst...@Goatrelated
....your goat avantar turned into a cat....
me, myself, and Pie

• Mark Luto
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • Enthusiastic Dilettante

• March 16, 2019, 18:56:00
    • Zurich, Switzerland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MarkLutoMusic/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2oOby1sRdVp60eBi8msivQ https://soundcloud.com/markluto
  • more
Reply #13 on: August 27, 2018, 23:30:38
Ok @Mark Luto , I found the problem. The resizing from 65x65 to 130x130 makes the avatars blurry indeed. The problem is that I cannot upscale the resolution. So you found a good solution to reupload a bigger version of your avatar.
Unfortunately for one or the other reason I've concluded that avatar uploading has a bug in it (must have been there before the transition to the new Theme). I've added solving this point to my todo list.

A workaround here: if you really want to update anyway, the only path is to link to an external avatar (somewhere on a different website) first, by choosing:
'Specify avatar by URL' and enter the https link to your (just for the purpose, choose a link to a random image..) avatar. Click save (bottom of page).
If you then revisit that page and choose: 'Upload an avatar' and point to an avatar file on your machine, and click save (at the bottom of the page) it'll work. I tried this procedure as well and I now have a 130x130 avatar stored on our kitchen server.

I noticed not everybody was allowed to upload a custom avatar (had to do with space requirements on the server back then), I enabled it for everybody now.

Hope that procedure works for everybody, if not: let me know!

Cheers! Mar T.

Thanks @Mar T. , your trick works fine. Now Iím in the 130x130s club, too. ;D
But there is still a little shortcoming. If the uploaded image is rectangular, the larger side will be scaled down to 130 px. Goaties new cat, for example, measures 82 x 130 px. However, the upper and lower parts are cut off so that again only 82 x 82 px are visible. Pretty nitpicking, I know. But I like good quality in pictures... Sorry!  :)

Cheers,
Mark

• Mar T.
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• Duiven
  • more
Reply #14 on: August 28, 2018, 02:03:48
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 02:20:15 by Mar T. »
Just back from holiday and I'm liking the new look.

::OSMAN:: ::OSMAN:: ::OSMAN::

One idea @Mar T. might be having a pause option for the header animation as it might act as a distraction for people over time.

Having a toggle  button that can stop the animation if you want would be perfect I reckon. Only active for the session you login in with.
Maybe even a switch in your config if a member really doesn't like it that could turn if off for good if you just aren't keen.
Hey Pete ( @MrBouzouki  ) , I hope you enjoyed your holidays! The vision about the 'slides' is to be able to promote the kitchen interactively. We'll have to discuss internally how to utilize the 'power' we have using those slides. For now it's always the same slide (but I altered the text for each slide). In the future we could also change the image for each slide. So for now we'll keep this mechanism.
Having said that: maybe the height of the carousel is too much? Would it help to decrease the height a bit? Let us know!

Hey @Mark Luto , I'm afraid I can't solve that otherwise than providing instructions in the avatar upload screen that the avatar has to be a square image.. Added to my list.. I'll do that after my return from vacation. Glad my 'trick' seems to work. We'll encourage everyone to use it!  ;) ;)

Cheers!

xx
four candles for the kitchen Anniversary

Started by Dutchbeat on Life

11 Replies
Last post September 28, 2017, 22:34:30
by Zedd
xx
Pimping up the forum in pumpkin fall style?

Started by Dutchbeat on Life

9 Replies
Last post October 17, 2013, 20:41:34
by Goatrelated
xx
The Kitchen - some questions about the forum

Started by MrBouzouki on Life

12 Replies
Last post September 18, 2017, 00:38:20
by Mar T.
xx
Happy Birthday Kitchen Forum