• Kitchen Summit Trump-et edition
  • Started by Mar T.
  • Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 06:37:08
  • more
Re: Kitchen Summit Trump-et edition
Reply #30 on: October 29, 2017, 17:52:37
Hey guys... i am BACK....

(finally recovered  ;D ;D ;D ;D from this interesting summit  ;D ;D ;D ;D)
me, myself, and Pie

• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• May 25, 2019, 23:43:29
    • Somewhere near Liverpool, UK
    • HTTPS//:soundcloud.com/Michael-a-duffy
  • more
Reply #31 on: November 02, 2017, 15:11:16
So @Mar T. and @Dutchbeat , plus of course @Goatie, I really enjoyed watching the crazy videos you did at your Kitchen Summit. And also gained new cocktail ideas, and then watched and heard you say you were going to make the kitchen great again. Well you definitely sounded confident in the video! Or was that too many Bloody Marti's talking?!  ;D

But I was now wondering if you would like to share anything of your masterplan with the rest of us? You don't have to, of course, if you don't want to. Or if you have now forgotten how to due to too many Bloody M's.

But if there is anything at all you can share, I am sure there are quite a few kitcheners that would like to hear about it.

All the best

Michael
If you like novels with a musical theme, why not try 'Sixth Beatle - When Music Changed The World', easily found on Amazon and Google. It is amazing, although as the author I may be biased!

Reply #32 on: November 02, 2017, 22:50:04
But I was now wondering if you would like to share anything of your masterplan with the rest of us? You don't have to, of course, if you don't want to. Or if you have now forgotten how to due to too many Bloody M's.

But if there is anything at all you can share, I am sure there are quite a few kitcheners that would like to hear about it.

+1  :)
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

• Mar T.
  • Senior Site Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • Pay it forward! (watch that movie..)

• Yesterday at 17:02:49
    • Duiven
  • more
Reply #33 on: November 03, 2017, 01:31:59
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 01:41:10 by Mar T. »
Ok, ok @MichaelA and @Bill from November Sound thanks for bringing this up! Sit down, this is going to be a lot of words...

First of all @MichaelA .. a masterplan?  ??? ??? Both @Dutchbeat and I went trough a challenging year in real life with a few of those 'milestone' events like losing a loved one, challenging 'job' situations etc. So we've been sitting and relaxing in the jaccuzzi all weekend having @Goatie mix us the one bloody Mar T. after the other!!  ;) ;) Ok.. I mixed @Goatie a dry Mar-T-ni as well..
Of course that last two remarks were just kidding. The rest is true. Both DB and I needed that break to relax.

The truth is that @Dutchbeat and I don't create plans. But what DO we do? I'll give you some insights.

DB and I share (almost) the same 'view' when looking at 'human' behaviour. And with a few hundred members right now (growing to a thousand members next year) we recognise patterns of behaviour that we also see in society in real-life. We have a great (and growing!) core membergroup. That's our members really checking out other members, starting virtual friendships, collaborating, chit-chatting, joining competitions, encouraging/caring about each other and having fun together. With a lot of members to track, we decided to shift our supply of positive and encouraging energy/attention to that core group.

In our vision for the next year we want to re-ignite the pay-forward effect by targeting our energy to the members who are most likely to pay-forward! Simple as that. We need THEM to keep that friendly and welcoming feel that's always been part of the kitchen culture. So we'll put extra energy in supporting the core membergroup and the new members (because they need some guidance when just landed in this awesome community).

As for helping each other improving our songwriting (well, that's what our community is about after all) our vision looks like this (might sound familiar Michael ;-) ):

We encourage to comment on as much Songs for Review as possible. That means a single comment 'great' is just as valuable as extensive (constructive) feedback, we need both.   
One important note to take into consideration is the subjectiveness of comments. If I find something to sound fantastic, that's no guarantee (at all) that others will 'see/hear' it this way as well. That's why collecting 'pointers' from different perspectives (as in 'reviews from a lot of different kitcheners') can be so helpful. Everybody will respect the writer/creator for which pointers he/she is actually going to use to change into (or stay heading towards) the direction he/she likes with their work. Bottom line: we're all unique, everybody's input is valuable. Nobody is an expert in all aspects of songwriting. Together though, by helping each other as a community members, we (as a community) ARE the expert!

Imo the value of all comments to the receiver, is the sum of all pointers, because they are written from so many different perspectives, they are of priceless value to re-evaluate our songs and listen to/learn from those aspects pointed out you'd never thought of yourself. And the receiver choses which to take into account to improve their own skills. I envision using all collective intelligence available like this:

Is that beautiful or not? ;) The swarm stands for the community swaying (common sense about all songwriting aspects alternating in time). And inbetween the swarm there's individual birds who are 'fed' by the swarm to ajust to the average 'common sense'. In our vision that's why we need high interaction in our community. No way we're going to sway like that swarm of birds, just because availability seperates all members from being online all at the same time. But when we would have limitless time to be online and being available to the community, this would probably be the effect.. Everybody updating their knowledge immediately by every message from any community member. And as a collective we would all be a group of respected experts. Wow.. I'm starting to sound like a dreamer or not?  ;) ;)

So that's it for the 'vision' part. If anyone has time to watch the movie 'Pay it forward', please go ahead! It symbolizes that important core-value we've seeded in our community in the last years. Although it's a bit cheesy, I know everybody can relate to it. And there's no better place to see that effect in practice than here in the kitchen.

So.. that's already a lot of words. And I didn't even talk about all individual comments to our request for input for the summit. We're processing the input though, and I'll get back to you with more results.

Finally we're starting a poll to choose a new assignment for the next competition. I think the 'Birds' swarm would be a great piece of inspirational input to write songs about. Songs we can use to spread our vision and encourage our members to get involved!

I hope this helps a bit, we'll be back with more insights soon.

Cheers!!

Mar T. and DB
:mart: :db:

Reply #34 on: November 03, 2017, 06:23:59
Hear hear @Mar T.
:goatie:
also a goat understands a joke

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• June 13, 2019, 10:48:36
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #35 on: November 03, 2017, 12:16:29
Excellent write-up @Mar T.

Love the birds....you are so right about that!
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• May 25, 2019, 23:43:29
    • Somewhere near Liverpool, UK
    • HTTPS//:soundcloud.com/Michael-a-duffy
  • more
Reply #36 on: November 03, 2017, 13:58:47
Hi @Mar T. , well I am sorry for prompting you to write an essay - especially as it was posted at a time you should probably have been sleeping! But I am very grateful to you for spending so much time on your reply.

I think everyone in the forum will be glad that you and @Dutchbeat (and @Goatie!) had a relaxing break away as you needed to escape from real life issues.

But from reading the above, I suppose you do have a sort of a plan, even though you say that DB and yourself 'don't do plans'. I buy into your focussing on a core element of the community, as people who are prepared to invest in others, and spend the most time here,  will also realise the most value for themselves. But it does mean that your growth does have to be kind of 'organic', as forum 'relationships' (although that sounds a bit too strong a word somehow) do take time to foster.

So trying to encourage one or two new members to join the core group is also part of your very good plan. See, it seems you do have a plan after all!  ;)

You say you will reach 1000 members in the next year. But probably only about 40 or so are currently active. Ex-members who have no intention of returning are just meaningless statistics at this point.   I would say that the Kitchen Relay Race flushed out all the most active and valued members, but the batons' progress have slowed right down now with only participation in the mid twenties. So we do need to see a bit of membership growth or membership reactivation to make the place more fun and more useful for the active group.

As you say, it does help, for example,  when your songs are being reviewed to be able to draw on a number of different perspectives. Plus new voices too, whose perspective you couldn't possibly predict. The review activity does seem on the slow side at the moment. I'm broadly happy enough with the number of comments I am getting, but sometimes some members don't get very much attention, so it is not surprising they 'churn' - ie come and go.

So I'd say never mind 1000 members, but if there was an active community of only around 100 song writers that would make the core membership thing a lot more interactive and would be self generating of more interactions. About twenty to thirty people regularly commenting on most songs, for example, would make a very powerful and useful body of opinion - and word would spread! The exchanges out of the review section would probably blossom too.

When you work through the 'inputs' to the summit, I am sure you will come up with a few more practical steps which will help you realise your excellent vision. So I look forward to reading more from you when you can get round to all of this, given the demands of your personal life (which is more important, after all).

The success of the kitchen is very largely down to it's unique and friendly vibe - which is mostly driven by the generous and sometimes quirky hearts of you two @Mar T. and @Dutchbeat . So thanks so much for all that you are doing, and good luck in achieving your vision in the future.  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

• Jim
  • Chef de Partie
  • Weirdy Beardy

• April 27, 2019, 01:33:24
    • Nottingham, GB
    • https://soundcloud.com/jim-clark-17
  • more
Reply #37 on: November 04, 2017, 13:20:46
Thanks for being so engaged and thoughtful about the kitchen @MichaelA, it's great to have you on board!  ;D

I agree it's not necessarily about "bums on seats", but about the participation from those who are here...but if we keep trying and encouraging the behaviours that we know help people want to be here then I think we will make this a truly excellent songwriter's forum.  :D That's one of the reasons why I was so pleased when @Mar T. announced that this was the approach he and @Dutchbeat had decided on.  :)

By the way, that's a great video Martijn, and I love what the phenomenon is called - murmuration.  ;D

• Mar T.
  • Senior Site Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • Pay it forward! (watch that movie..)

• Yesterday at 17:02:49
    • Duiven
  • more
Reply #38 on: November 07, 2017, 01:52:44
Hey @MichaelA, thanks for your involvement and detailed reply!
Speaking of growth there's a paradox imo.
On the one hand we 'feel' we want to get to know all of us (and the increasing core group 'does' imo),
on the other hand we 'need' fresh blood to add to the community 'knowledge' (so the birds swarm doesn't fly away out of the radar bacause we have no
reality check with 'the world' anymore). So if we agree 'we' as a community ARE the songwriting expert, we have to keep checking that we're acting based
on best-practice. And (on top of that) I'm sure new 'friends' sharing the same passions are always welcome.
That's two different dynamics. And (imo as always) we should accept both dynamics are happening at the same time. So yes, we should grow organically without
help from our recruitment department for sure. Completely agree with you.
But we'll recruit anyway. Just to draw in different people, with different skills, with different views.
From every kitchener we recruit just a small percentage will really stick to the core. And that's a good thing for now, we're not big enough yet as
a community to be autonomous (in keeping the fire burning and also inviting new members ourselves).
So yes, we do care about members count for now and we've seen 'sleeping' members 'waking up' when the monthly newsletter arrives, which always brings us
'hope'.
The reasons batons got stuck are probably different reasons. But as much as I'm sorry the chains stops at certain points, I know there's always stories
behind it. I'm sure both of us appreciate the positive side, that is those three relay chains unfolding and perpetually continuing. The whole thread is
meant to help the core group 'know' each other a bit better.
When we 'set' our goal for our community to have at least a 1000 members in 2018 we 'set' that expectation regarding these dynamics. And we 'think we know'
this would be the right 'amount' (statistically) to have enough 'critical mass' to start the domino effect (ehhh.. that's when @Dutchbeat and @Mar T. are
going to sit back and relax in our Jaccuzzi's, drinking DutchBeer and Bloody Mar T's).
So we'll ignore organic growth until we have enough critical mass to be confident it all 'will' actually grow organically.. for now. But that moment is
arriving. That moment we've all been working really hard for. That moment we're all waiting for. And it will happen! Deal?
We just want a place where we (as delicate creators) can share our passion for songwriting. And that 'safe' place will always exist right here. That's
our mission.

Hi @Jim,

Absolutely, we invite new blood because we need new views/skills/friends, so we got to give everybody a chance..
And for the core group, I'd be very happy id we all keep being connected and convey the kitchen culture to everyone. Paying-forward is the way to go.
It'll get back to you (everybody) in unexpected ways!

Cheers everybody!
One Bloody Mar T. please.. where's everybody?  8) 8) 8) 8) ;D ;D ;D ;D

:mart: :mhm:

xx
first kitchen summit filmclips!!!

Started by Dutchbeat on The kitchen café

4 Replies
Last post October 22, 2018, 17:57:25
by oorlab
xx
How about an Eastern US kitchen summit?

Started by Bill from November Sound on The kitchen café

22 Replies
Last post June 18, 2018, 18:11:01
by revivalchoir
xx
our own thread: for the European kitchen summit

55 Replies
Last post August 01, 2018, 21:58:05
by Rachel_D
xx
Dutch and Mar T. Kitchen Summit in a few weeks

Started by Mar T. on Forum News/Updates

13 Replies
Last post March 25, 2017, 03:18:12
by Goatrelated
xx
Congratulations Marti !!!!! (kitchen summit film)

9 Replies
Last post March 26, 2018, 08:34:39
by Goatrelated