• Reaper licence
  • Started by Katze Konigsberg
Reaper licence
on: February 09, 2017, 11:50:50
Hey Kitcheneers :D
I wanted to update you guys, that i finally made it. ::headphone:: I put some money in my hand, bought a nice microphone and an interface. Looks great and i finally started my first recording trials in Reaper! I am damn proud that i took this step (only took me about a week to set these things up)  ;D ;D ;D at this point, i want to say thank you to @Dutchbeat and @Mark Luto who encouraged me to start recording by myself and got me all the help and support and believe in myself i needed.

Now I started thinking about Reaper and I really like this programme. So I figured out, that you cannot import or export to mp3 (i guess) in the trial version. Do I need to buy it? I guess that would be ok. Where can i buy it, and how many licences do i get? The problem is now, I have a very old laptop, and I am asking myself, if this laptop is allright to use. Maybe some of you know, what a laptop needs to be good and ready for musicproduction.
Thanks guys!! glad to be here  ::) :D :D

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 13:04:15
  • more
Re: Reaper licence
Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 14:45:40
hi @Katze Königsberg , geat to hear form you again, and great to hear you made this big step.

You will not regret it

there are several people working with REAPER out here, and various other DAWS, that will be able to help you if you have questions

to begin with these questions:

Now I started thinking about Reaper and I really like this programme. So I figured out, that you cannot import or export to mp3 (i guess) in the trial version. 
(...)
The problem is now, I have a very old laptop, and I am asking myself, if this laptop is allright to use. Maybe some of you know, what a laptop needs to be good and ready for musicproduction.
Thanks guys!! glad to be here  ::) :D :D

yes you can import MP3 easily try: "import media file" and selct the mp-3 and it will be in your reaper DAW
and for exporting to MP-3 go to "render", and in that screen you can select "MP3" as being the file format you want to render your REAPER project to

and, an old (slow) computer may become a problem uif your projects are very big, so with very many tracks and very many effects on the tracks etc., but you will find that out. If your laptop is too slow, you will experience 'latency' or the sound dropping out at certain points, if that is the case, you do have a problem, because then you cannot time your new recordings on new tracks to the others the right way

but, probably you can record several tracks without problems??? Just try it  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

have fun! and don't forget to share your tracks and new song ideas on this kitchen  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
me, myself, and Pie

• Jim
  • Chef de Partie
  • Weirdy Beardy

• April 27, 2019, 01:33:24
    • Nottingham, GB
    • https://soundcloud.com/jim-clark-17
  • more
Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 16:52:03
Hi @Katze Königsberg, you can also drag media files from explorer into Reaper, that way you can choose where that track starts, I like to start the music just after the earliest position (a bar or two) so things don't get too cramped.  This technique works with MIDI files too, if you start down that route.  ;)

@Dutchbeat has already mentioned export, which is done via the "render" option, but for MP3 you'll need a file installed - you can get the files here - https://lame.buanzo.org/.  Mind you, you're probably better off exporting as WAV, if you're going to do stuff with it, even if that's uploading to SC, the quality is better.  8)

Hope that helps.   :)

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• more
Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 17:03:32
ha, @Katze Königsberg
yeah I forgot about that... @Jim is right.....for rendering mp3s you need to get something that is called the lame mp3 encoder installed.....

and yes you can always render to wav which is indeed better quality, but to be honest......I seem to be the only one out here that doesn't really hear the difference  :P :P :P :P :P :P

and you can also just render it to wav in Reaper, and then google one of the various free online site where you can convert WAVs to mp3 or other formats for free

good luck  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 17:16:39
Thanks @Jim and @Dutchbeat!! nice, i did not know all this!! still have a lot to learn!  ;D
so good for now! I think i will try my old laptop and go with the free version, as i am able to do a lot for the start.
and yeah, i will try out if there are latence difficulties. :)
Thanks!!!  ;)

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• more
Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 17:26:53
@Katze Königsberg

we all had to learn, so just feel free to ask anything
no really: anything

I refused to let go of my external 16 track hard disc recorder for years......did not dare to make that step and learn a DAW....but I did it like 5 years ago  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: but I was helped every step by @budhabuilding

it will give you (almost) infinite recording and mixing options
it saves amounts of time, and the songwriting fun just skyrockets...... 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
but....watch out.....you probably already know this.....but songwriting... and also the mixing part of it can be highly addictive.......

you can take the free test I made for checking your songwriting habits here  ;D ;D ;D:
https://www.songwriter-forum-kitchen.com/forum/life/do-you-have-some-moments-that-you-dislike-your-songwriting-hobby-addiction/

xx
First recording with Reaper

Started by Katze Konigsberg on Songs for review

15 Replies
Last post March 14, 2017, 00:01:14
by Mar T.
xx
Reaper in heaven?

Started by Dutchbeat on The kitchen café

5 Replies
Last post February 27, 2014, 18:17:52
by Dutchbeat