• Select your best soundcloud track to be on the kitchen's SoundCloud page!
  • Started by Mar T.
  • Mar T.
  • Senior Site Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • Pay it forward! (watch that movie..)

• Yesterday at 18:48:53
    • Duiven
  • more
Sorry for my late response @iiviivix , it's hell at work atm, all my colleagues are on vacation so I have to do EVERYTHING myself haha.
This was a pretty old thread, in the meantime we publish the top 5 of the running competitions on the kitchen SC page, and in between the competitions our staff selects a 'Chef's recommendation'.

But.. maybe it's a nice idea to restart this initiative. Is anyone interested in having their best song published on the kitchen SC page? Might help to showcase yourself, and attract extra members for our forum?
Let me know (and of course if you're interested, please provide a link to your best recent track)..
Cheers,
:mart:
I'm proud of this track, check it out! https://soundcloud.com/martimedia/dreams

• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• August 31, 2019, 23:25:43
    • Somewhere near Liverpool, UK
    • HTTPS//:soundcloud.com/Michael-a-duffy
  • more
Hey @Mar T. , c'mon you know you can handle the pressure (at work)! You can handle the heat in the kitchen, after all! ;D

The thing about the current formula for doing the SC page is that it is a bit of a narrow criteria. The competition songs are only about say 25% of the songs that get posted in here. Then with only one Chef's Rec every six weeks or so, the showcase is quite limited.

One suggestion for adding to the current formula could be this. Every month one of the moderators looks at all the 'song for review' threads and say the Top 10 - or even Top 5 - that have had the most replies for the month, or a combination of replies and views, become the Monthly Chart. The songs that are the best (or interesting) tend to get the most comments and interactions anyway. Just looking at July for example there were over 60 songs submitted, and the competition submissions were only about one quarter of this.

You might have some data already to hand in your admin website stats - say if you have 'most viewed' topic analytics. Or could you export the data into Excel for easy sorting? If it could be exported you could multiply views x replies to give a total score easily enough.

The science behind it is not exactly perfect, but it might be another way of boosting interest in the site amongst the existing membership, and encourage more to come on board. It is definitely a bit quieter on here this week, for example. Maybe it's the holiday period, not sure?

It's better, anyway, than just letting random songs go on the page, as the popularity of the threads are at least are some indication of quality - and indeed how much a member is prepared to contribute to the forum in terms of discussion participation and generation. Maybe you can take this idea into consideration at your next kitchen summit? I know I did mention the chart idea once before, but without an easy way of determining the chart positions.

Cheers  ::thumb::
If you like novels with a musical theme, why not try 'Sixth Beatle - When Music Changed The World', easily found on Amazon and Google. It is amazing, although as the author I may be biased!

thanks for that valuable input MichaelA  ::thumb:: I agree with you, just putting up the winners of the contests seems quite limited, and the winners are quite often the same people,
through no fault of their own of course  ::smiley:: I know it takes a lot of organizing to do something a little different, but it might, as MichealA points out, encourage more member
activity.  ::Suzy::

• Mar T.
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• Duiven
  • more
Hey @MichaelA , thanks for sharing your idea! I agree we should showcase the 75% other songs better.
I think the algorithm you're suggesting is a clever one, but it will have implications (assuming that everybody likes to have their song showcased on the Kitchen SC page).
Personally I encourage everyone to share the development of a song in the kitchen (from scratch to result), so we can all learn from the progress. But I know not everybody likes to share the process, resulting in threads with less replies, which would then be less eligible for a spot in the playlist.

So maybe we need another component in the algorithm that helps seperating that out.
For example we could also look at how active a member is (as in: replying a lot to other threads (positive weight) only to his/her own threads (negative weight)).
I think I can manage to write a database query that can periodically publish such a list. Maybe the staff has to review the list the first few times, and dial in the weight of 'the algorithm' components, but I believe that in time we can get great lists out of that algorithm, that 'showcase' the ones we want to showcase.
Is that an idea?
Karma for your involvement my friend!

• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• more
Cool @Mar T. , you can write database queries! That makes it  whole lot easier!  ;D

Example 1

OK, so I posted a song a few weeks back called 'Beautiful & Brave', which I am most proud of as a kitchen offering. That's because it was a bit raw and flat when I posted it - but after lots of Kitchener input I ended up rebalancing the sound mix as well as getting @Zedd joining in with fab female backing vocals.

This song got 313 views. Say the algorithm gives you one point for every 10 views, that means views were worth 31 'quality points'.

But we have to make sure people just don't click on their own thread to get in the charts so replies from other members should be worth far more than simple views. I suggest the replies from others should be worth say four times the quality score of views seen above.

OK, so my song got 28 replies over the course of time. But 9 of these were me saying thanks and then discussing my song a bit more with whoever had commented. So I had 19 interactions (replies) from others. So if your query could strip out the post starter, then multiply the number of other member replies by say 4 - in my case I would have a quality score of 76 for replies. (4 x 19)

31 views 'quality points' + 76 replies 'quality points', gives that song 107 quality points in total.

Example 2

Another song that got a lot of traction on here recently, but was not a competition song, was 'Hold On' by @Nic .

This song got 408 views, so a views quality score of 40.

The song generated 25 replies, but Nic only came back 4 times for the replies to keep flowing in, so her other member replies totalled 21. Multiply by 4 and that is 84 quality points.

40 (views) + 84 (replies) = 124 quality points in total.

So even tho' my song was fab (107 points) ::thumb:: then @Nic 's was even fabber (124 points)  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: Which is just about right in my eyes. But I will get her one day, damn her!  ::)

So in the monthly chart  she would beat me here, but I would have been in there somewhere probably with that score, so all's well!  ;D

I think the chart should be all about the quality of the song, so not sure a member's contribution to other threads should particularly count here, for instance. But that's just my view - and I am sure there will be other views! Cheers for now,

Michael  ::OSMAN::

• Mar T.
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• Duiven
  • more
Hey @MichaelA thanks for you detailled response!
Things I still struggle with:
Imo the number of replies don't tell anything about the song quality. It certainly is an indicator for how much attention a post gets, but a lot of attention certainly doesn't mean the song is of high quality. Maybe the poster is very active or popular, or the poster started the thread to develop the song.
Imo when we want to 'judge' the quality of the songs we'd need a 'jury'.
But I doubt if we want to publish the highest quality songs on the Kitchen SC page, I think we should publish the songs from the most active community minded kitcheners. But again, still struggling. Any more opinions?
So I guess the first question to be answerred is: which songs do we want to be showcased on the Kitchen SC page?
1. Most HQ songs
2. Songs from members highly involved in our community
3. Other..

Everybody, let us know, we need more different perspectives on this subject!
Cheers,

• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• more
OK. @Mar T. , I understand your reservations.

Well maybe a compromise would be the algorithm idea is used to pull out the top 15 (or even top 10) songs for the month. These are then listed in a thread.

Then a public vote, just like the competition voting thread, can determine the top 5 for the Monthly Chart. The top 5 then go on the SC page.

At least then the algorithm idea gives people a manageable amount of songs to listen to each month.

So that nobody gets upset, you could do a 'beta' run on this, which would also determine how much the ranking of the algorithm reflects the ranking of the voters.

OK I'm all done on this now. Over to others, if there is interest...

Why not have one person(a different person every month...maybe one of the winners) pick their 10 to 5 fav songs per month, and then have the forum vote for their best 5-3 songs ::Suzy::

• Mark Luto
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • Enthusiastic Dilettante

• August 22, 2019, 12:00:19
    • Zurich, Switzerland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MarkLutoMusic/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2oOby1sRdVp60eBi8msivQ https://soundcloud.com/markluto
  • more
Good idea of resurrecting the "best of the kitchen" SoundCloud playlist. But I think the methods you're suggesting are way to mathematic @MichaelA and @Mar T. ! ::)
I'm closer to @CrystalSuzy 's proposal. Or even simpler (if technically possible), just add a "like" button to every thread in the "songs for review" section. And then put the 5 songs with the most likes on the list...

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Yesterday at 23:19:28
    • Terra Firma
  • more
I'm closer to @CrystalSuzy 's proposal. Or even simpler (if technically possible), just add a "like" button to every thread in the "songs for review" section. And then put the 5 songs with the most likes on the list...

That sure does seem simpler.........
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• Mar T.
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• Duiven
  • more
Ok keep the ideas coming, @Dutchbeat and I will discuss it in our upcoming summit (in the 2nd half of September, somewhere close to (or in) Holland)!
Cheers!

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Yesterday at 22:16:38
  • more
me, myself, and Pie

• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• more
Posted by: Dutchbeat
« on: Today at 12:02:59 »
Insert Quote

if soundcloud still exists by then..... :( :( :( :( :( :-[ :-[ :-[

see the thread @MrBouzouki started:

Well there will be other Cloud services that will be happy to take its place. So I am sure the kitchen will always have a showcase somewhere! Chill maaaan  ::thumb::

• Mar T.
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• Duiven
  • more

• Rachel_D
  • Chef de Partie
  • Music is what feelings sound like

• September 13, 2019, 06:52:06
    • Malta
    • http://twitter.com/Poem_Songs http://www.facebook.com/Rachel-Debattista-songwriter-642125792519786 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu_8BnQ3qqk https://soundcloud.com/rachel_debattista
  • more
Hey - I agree with the idea of having the kitchen play list once again :) Having a 'chart' concept is also interesting. I guess that algorithms as you are describing could be a good way to narrow down the list of songs to a managenable number (esp. as the kitchen gets bigger) but then I agree that say the top 5 are selected by kitcheners themselves (manually) -through a voting system say during the last week of each month. Post popularity could be a fair parameter if coupled with a voting system. And there could be a method which determines wether each kitchen artist is eligible/not. Say for example you need to review x number of songs during that particular month in order to qualify.
Rachel  ::Rachel::
https://.com/rachel_debattista

xx
thé soundcloud page where you can follow this fab kitchen collab

Started by Dutchbeat on Collaborations

2 Replies
Last post August 13, 2017, 20:54:43
by MrBouzouki
xx
Songwriters in the Kitchen on SoundCloud

Started by Mar T. on The kitchen café

13 Replies