• Black Friday
  • Started by Vince
  • Vince
  • Chef de Partie

• Yesterday at 13:55:18
  • more
Black Friday
on: November 23, 2018, 16:43:26
Black Friday is the day after the American Thanksgiving holiday. It's called that because it starts the Christmas  shopping season and the stores move from red ink (loss) to black ink (profit) and lets them know they can survive another year.

I was reading that this "black Friday" shopping thing (and all the madness that goes with it) is starting to move across the world. Since members are all over the world, maybe they could write if this be true? If it is God help you  ;D

Vince

• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• May 12, 2019, 15:15:09
    • Somewhere near Liverpool, UK
    • HTTPS//:soundcloud.com/Michael-a-duffy
  • more
Re: Black Friday
Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 21:26:56
Hi @Vince , yep we have Black Friday in the UK. It has been here for about 8 years, although it seems to be less frantic this year.

So Liverpool sent North America The Beatles. And this is what you sent us back!  Cheers!  ;D  ::thumb::
If you like novels with a musical theme, why not try 'Sixth Beatle - When Music Changed The World', easily found on Amazon and Google. It is amazing, although as the author I may be biased!

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 20:36:23
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 12:20:57
So Liverpool sent North America The Beatles. And this is what you sent us back!  Cheers!  ;D  ::thumb::

HA!!!

I love Black Friday!!!!

At my house shopping is sometimes considered a competition sport so Black Friday is like the Super Bowl and the World Cup rolled together. That meant that yesterday I had the house completely to myself from dawn to dusk......serious studio time for Lenny.

:) :) :)
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 13:33:59
Black Friday ..?.. I try to sleep through it. :)
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

• Vince
  • Chef de Partie

• more
Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 15:49:39
@MichaelA  @Bill from November Sound  @Leonard Scaper   Yes, when it comes to competition  shopping us Americans are the best (I haven't read about anybody getting trampled this year, only more than a few fist fights).

I'm hoping to hear from other parts of the world to see if it was true that this is spreading to other parts like the article said. It's getting so you can 't believe what you read anymore, and believe only half of what you see (although I've seen some things in my time I still can't believe)

Maybe we can hear from the Dutch if this is going on there?  The best way to tell is with the words "Door Buster" and an advertised price of something like a TV really low . The store will have like 3 of them at that price and maybe a thousand people trying to get one at the same time. Real Fun.

@MichaelA   we also sent the Grey Squirrel to England because the English thought they were cute when they're really just rats with bushy tails. 

• LePlongeur
  • Chef de Partie
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Today at 17:52:42
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 19:47:10
Black Friday is slowly but surely creeping in. It is something like the kilo’s you gather after your 50th birthday: they love you and no way that they are going to leave you.
It’s here a relatively short time, but yes I really think that I won’t see the end of it.

And it glorifies greed and all that, so I’m not sure if it’s one of my favs.
It is expressly forbidden to first raise the prices and then grant a Black Friday discount, but the retailers are as crazy as the clients, so they disregard the law.

I think we have Black Friday since three or four years. What surprises me is that it is perfectly OK to call it Black Friday, when ordering a black coffee (especially in the UK) was frowned upon.

Well, as long as people make money, I guess nobody give a shit.
So far so good and an update from Amsterdam.
Kind regards, Gus

• Vince
  • Chef de Partie

• more
Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 22:30:31
Thank you Gus @LePlongeur  , it can take the civil out of civilized. I didn't realize it was frowned upon in some countries to ask for black coffee, talk about cultural misunderstandings.

Funny enough even here in America, for example, if you ask for a regular coffee in New York City, they put milk in it. In Chicago , they just give you a coffee instead of a fancy blend (what I've seen called Coffee Americano in Europe) .

I would like to see the flower market in Amsterdam someday, which is suppose to be the biggest in the world.  So, I guess the article is true about the spread of Black Friday. I'm really surprised

Vince

• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• May 12, 2019, 15:15:09
    • Somewhere near Liverpool, UK
    • HTTPS//:soundcloud.com/Michael-a-duffy
  • more
Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 13:25:51
Hey @Vince, yeah I am being plagued by two grey squirrels at the moment. They keep digging up the lawn, burying their winter food stash. If I catch them I will send them over to you!  ;)

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• Yesterday at 02:33:31
    • Sheffield, UK
    • https://www.facebook.com/Mr.Bouzouki.Music/ https://www.youtube.com/user/MisterBouzouki https://soundcloud.com/mrbouzouki
  • more
Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 19:13:04
Hey @Vince

we also sent the Grey Squirrel to England because the English thought they were cute when they're really just rats with bushy tails. 

... he...he... that's what I'm always telling my other half  ::thumb::

I have taken advantage ?? of VST instrument price reductions to purchase something. Also a new laptop for Mrs B. so she's not complaining.
"Love and Life is all about connections"

• Layerson
  • Poissonier
  • Karma Hunter

• Today at 08:32:11
    • Sweden
  • more
Reply #9 on: November 28, 2018, 12:49:14
Yup, Black Friday and Cyber Monday exists here in Sweden too.

IMO, the hype isn't that big yet as this hasn't been around for that many years yet,  but it's getting bigger with each year.

Here it's more of a marketing thing, not many "dirt cheap" offers and there are already established "counter-movements" that argue the negative climate effects  coming from overconsumption...
Layerson (a.k.a. Mikael Lagersson)

• Vince
  • Chef de Partie

• more
Reply #10 on: November 28, 2018, 15:05:46
@Layerson  @MrBouzouki   I really couldn't believe the article , but it seems to be true. 10 years ago I lived in Hannover Germany and it hadn't reached there then, but now my mother in law, who lives in Stuttgart,  says it's in Germany now too.

Like I wrote before, our Thanksgiving Holiday is always on a Thursday and Friday starts the Christmas shopping season and there are some good bargains, but there are fist fights, gun fights, etc which imo is not what Christmas is all about and these things are usually in the stores in the parts of town I never go in (unless I get lost). Also I should mention fights for parking spaces.

We also now have Cyber Monday, which I like much better because it is online shopping. Now the big thing is people go around stealing the packages off the porches when they are delivered. 

Anyway, thanks. I really don't start enjoying the season until we visit my wife's family and I go to the Christmas Market and get a few Schnapps in me.

Vince

xx
"The Addiction Formula" Black Friday Deals

Started by Friedemann on The kitchen café

2 Replies
Last post November 27, 2015, 11:31:29
by Friedemann
xx
Black and White

Started by Lane on Songs for review

15 Replies
Last post November 28, 2018, 11:13:29