• Senior Site Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • Pay it forward! (watch that movie..)

• Today at 06:31:07
    • Duiven
  • more
Laurel and Yanny
on: May 16, 2018, 19:56:38
This is fun! -> https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/05/16/upshot/audio-clip-yanny-laurel-debate.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytimes

Let me know what you guys hear, and we'll ask our sound engineers/producers on the board later why this is possible.

Cheers!
:mart:

• Mark Luto
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • Enthusiastic Dilettante

• Today at 01:37:58
    • Zurich, Switzerland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MarkLutoMusic/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2oOby1sRdVp60eBi8msivQ https://soundcloud.com/markluto
  • more
Re: Laurel and Yanny
Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 21:30:43
I hear neither of the names, but „yelly“... ???

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Yesterday at 22:45:02
  • more
Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 21:40:43
the right answer must be:
Hardy right?

;D ;D ;D but once i shifted the bar to the left....i kept hearing Yanny...
but what kind f name is that  ;D ;D ;D
and when i read @Mark Luto 's post.....it kept sounding like... Jerry  ::) :P :P

so....my answer is...

Laurel and Hardy

or.. ;D ;D ;D

Tom and Jerry!

and... everything in between  ;D ;D ;D
what did i win?
me, myself, and Pie

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 02:01:19
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 23:01:22
At first I could hear both but as it went on I was just hearing Laurel.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

• Mar T.
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• Duiven
  • more
Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 02:08:19
I hear neither of the names, but „yelly“... ???

+1 @Mark Luto  ! I heard both.. Now for the sound engineers/producers amongst us: try listening to the low frequencies (filter out the 'highs') and you should hear 'Laurel'.
On the contrary: if you cut out the low and low-mid frequencies (like listening on a low quality phone speaker without that much low-mid), you should hear 'Yanny', although I agree with @Mark Luto , it sounds more like 'Yelly' indeed!

@Leonard Scaper , great find!! It's a phenomenon so many people claim to hear only one of the names.. (of course that could be determined by the audio source (hi-fi speakers, or lo-fi phone speaker) you're listening to. But I think it also has something to do with 'subjective context' in the listeners mind.. Would be a nice experiment to try and find a 'panel' of 20 persons (who didn't hear the sample earlier before). Split them into 2 rooms, one room (room 1) with hi-fi speakers and one room (room 2) with a crappy cell-phone speaker (only producing high-mid frequencies and high frequencies) and then compare the results. There will still be no 100% guarantee (subjective context), but I'd bet a cradle of 'Bier mit wassergeschmak' that 75% of the people in room 1 hear 'Laurel' and 75% of the people in room 2 hear 'Yanny' (/'Yelly'). That's better than the 50-50 rate on twitter  ;) ;)
Simulate it, it's fun!

@Dutchbeat Unfortunately 'Tom and Jerry' was the wrong answer.. You owe me a box of Stormhoek wine..  :blackgrin: :blackgrin:

Cheers,

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• more
Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 20:46:26
ok...my serious answer is that i just hear Laurel @Mar T.

and only... Laurel... to be honest, it takes quite some shifting for me... to hear Yanny

and Ellen agrees ::) ::) ::)
but what about this second example she gives, with the lemons kind of thing... :o :o :o

i like that

but did it ever happen to you, that you changed your lyrics...because you heard something else in your mix / vocals

and thought.....WAIT!  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :o :o :o :o that is much cooler!

that happens... ::) ::) ::) right?

• Mar T.
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• Duiven
  • more
Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 03:26:09
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 03:41:54 by Mar T. »
@Dutchbeat That example of 'the juice of lemon makes fine punch' from 2'22'' (in the video) is another example of how brilliant our brain works (depending on the 'context')

hahaha +100 How many of you have husbands and you tell them to take the trash and dishes away
and than they hear 'Have a beer and take a nap..' That should be recognizable in most relationships... And these jokes were to be expected and soooo funny!! Haha

BUT.. (we dutch love 'BUT'..) who of our production/mixing/recording enthousiasts figured out what's the case here?  I mean in both Ellen's horror/lemon and 'Laurel'/'Yanny' cases: we can prove both can be heard...
But (see! 'but' again) how did 'they' record this 'coincidence' of two completely different words in one eh.. word.. (eh name..)

Let us know!!

Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 02:44:28
I definitely hear Laurel, but when I move it to the right, I start to hear yanny about 3 bars along. I was listening on my headphones, but when I heard it on news the other night,
I heard yanny coming through my TV, which has no speakers. So it definitively makes a difference what speakers you are listening through ::Rachel:: Also, some of us hear more low frequencies, which would be Laurel, and some more high, yanny   :) :) :)  An interesting study for sure  ::Suzy::

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• more
Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 17:53:57
what about this @Mar T. ? ...the McGurk effect, the longer you watch it, the weirder it gets....

try closing and opening your eyes while the man 'Fa'...that is weird, right?

• Mar T.
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• Duiven
  • more
Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 00:21:57
@Dutchbeat ow yes amazing how our minds can get tricked, and indeed when closing your eyes when viewing the 'Fa' parts it hits you hard how easy that 'tricking' hits..

Ellen should retry this expiriment with men: How many of you have husbands and you tell them to take the trash and dishes away
and than they hear 'Have a beer and take a nap..', would this solve that issue?  ;) ;)