• LePlongeur
  • Chef de Partie
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Yesterday at 21:56:41
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Life from another planet
on: January 20, 2019, 03:28:28
To think, we run the risk of being visited by life forms from outer space. And that they discover not Annie, no of course not, Annie’s gone for centuries, but her implants aren’t.
And they (the life forms) dig up this:

How will they rate our civilization?

Kind (but worried) regards, Gus

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 10:34:23
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Re: Life from another planet
Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 10:35:14
I think there are worse bits of human history here on this planet that they could be subjected to, Gus.

I really enjoyed that. It brought me back to February of 1964 around a black and white TV watching the Ed Sullivan show here in the States. I got my first guitar after that and within a year had started my first band with some neighborhood kids.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• LePlongeur
  • Chef de Partie

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 14:54:03
 Yes of course, @Leonard Scaper, you have a point there.
It’s certainly not the bottom of the pan.
But please notice how you react like the human I’ve always thought you were.
I heard The Taste of Honey, how they screwed up Arthur Alexander’s Anna and I promised myself that my music would never ever be like the first LP by the Beatles.
Ringo was in the hospital. And in England there was no way to find a decent replacement? They came with someone who wasn’t musician enough to beat as sloppy as Ringo. So they did a playback gig.

This is not Beatles bashing. But an honest statement of things.

Now, each extra terrestrial knows that the Beatles were God’s own gift to mankind. If so, the extraterrestrials won’t go looking no further. They haven’t seen Paul doing Yesterday in black and white.
They would probably gladly accept that this is the best the earth had to offer.

At this moment in time, the Beatles had about t years of grueling playing every night together. And this is what they come up with?
I tried to get into the extraterrestrials shoes. And I was flabbergasted. 8 out of 10 things that  are played in the Kitchen exceeds what’s on offer here. They rehearsed all these years for a flat cover (pancake flat, not in terms of not on pitch) of twist and shout?

Excuse the rant and rave. I know that in the years that were to follow, they would come up with different material.
But this is what caused the revolution. Now try and be the extraterrestrial, Leonard!
And listen without prejudice. Smiley!!! Or at least without sentiments. As anyone would let feelings count. We’re only human, right?
Kind regards, Gus

Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 19:02:32
So to take your thoughts a step further @LePlongeur  .... let's say extraterrestrial archeologists come to dig up the remains of human civilization and miraculously musical recordings, sheet music, etc. Was found intact.    .... imagine having to catalog this human music in chronological order from most primitive to most highly evolved? I wonder how that would work ?

Also, If the human race could actually work together and explore space.... what would we take with us to submit to the extraterrestrials so that we could prove we are indeed intelligent life?
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

• LePlongeur
  • Chef de Partie

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 20:42:23
 You, @Bill from November Sound , expect them to go through centuries of musical history.? While our own children are mildly interested and have the attention span of a mosquito?
If or when they come here, they’ve taken in the ‘stories’ behind all out plodding and make a very fleeting choice. Or flimsy choice....

So, the train of thought will be like: OK, this is it? Based on a quick scan. maybe based on the cursed algorithms? I don’t know. I can only try to anticipate.

It wasn’t really that I put down the law; I looked at what plunged us into a British Invasion.
If you have doubts, Look up ‘shut up’  by the Beatles (1.50 or so) and ask yourself if john shouts shut up at Paul MCCartney, who’s really inanely blabbering away or (even worse) at the public.
I’m Dutch but I never dared to treat my public with this contempt.

My idea: they’ve rehearsed/gigged for some 5 years and they are still very very mediocre. It’s nothing short of a miracle that they pulled this one off.
Check out what music was made in 1963/1964, and be as amazed as me.

Whatever your thoughts, my thoughts are: what cause the British Invasion. Was it all that good. I have my doubts.
Kind regards, Gus

Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 21:20:48
No, not all of them @LePlongeur  .... just the archaeologist, anthropologist experts from their society.  :)  This thread is about life on other planets, isn't it?  Well, I'm far more interested in extraterrestrial life than I am the Beatles.  :)  .... though, maybe they are one in the same......

Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 21:04:27
Okay I just can't let this go. Maybe @MrBouzouki  can help. (with his "lighthouse keeper" project and all ... he must have thought of this.)

Would interstellar travelers even have ears? What would be the purpose. Hearing might just make them go crazy in the silence of space.

If they did have ears then what is to say that they'd even hear the same frequencies as us?
What if the can only hear below 20hz or something? I suppose they could then run our music through some type of multi octave transposition ...

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 21:45:10
@Bill from November Sound ....I think @LePlongeur actually started this thread as a referendum to the efficacy of the Beatles as proper representatives of human culture.....or at least of our taste in music. I believe that his use of aliens was possibly just a vehicle for that referendum.

Now....if the Beatles music HAD been run through some type of multi octave transposition..........

Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 18:58:30
You, @Bill from November Sound , expect them to go through centuries of musical history.? While our own children are mildly interested and have the attention span of a mosquito?
If or when they come here, they’ve taken in the ‘stories’ behind all out plodding and make a very fleeting choice. Or flimsy choice....

So, the train of thought will be like: OK, this is it? Based on a quick scan. maybe based on the cursed algorithms? I don’t know. I can only try to anticipate.

It wasn’t really that I put down the law; I looked at what plunged us into a British Invasion.
If you have doubts, Look up ‘shut up’  by the Beatles (1.50 or so) and ask yourself if john shouts shut up at Paul MCCartney, who’s really inanely blabbering away or (even worse) at the public.
I’m Dutch but I never dared to treat my public with this contempt.

My idea: they’ve rehearsed/gigged for some 5 years and they are still very very mediocre. It’s nothing short of a miracle that they pulled this one off.
Check out what music was made in 1963/1964, and be as amazed as me.

Whatever your thoughts, my thoughts are: what cause the British Invasion. Was it all that good. I have my doubts.
Kind regards, Gus

The whole subject of "aliens" is an interesting one. Isn't God an alien from the aspect that he isn't from here ?   ;D

I never fully understood the popularity of the Beatles. I mean, they weren't bad. I just don't think they were ultra wonderful enough to begin some kind of a cultural revolution. They share a common thread with Elvis in that they were helped to a great extent by the press and record companies who stood to make a profit on their sales. They primarily targeted teenage girls with love songs. Girls who were at the height of puberty. Lots of hormones there. They were successful.

An advanced species would have risen above the primal to the spiritual making the primal look like a low stage of evolution to them. We haven't changed since then.

• LePlongeur
  • Chef de Partie

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 08:10:52
I don’t know about God being an alien @Timothy Smith , I believe in God, but so far I haven’t met her or him.
The Beatles made Rain which after some three years won me over, but I didn’t think much of the tinny, one demensional beginning.

And is this the way to treat the people that queued for hours and paid to see you perform?

This threat is half joking about aliens and all. But it’s also half wondering what happened (what mechanism was working) that performances like this could lead to Beatlemania.

Kind regards, Gus

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 13:12:43
With regard to God and aliens and all that, I have been investigation things like externally reflected cosmopsychism and interstellar genetics.  ;)

But it’s also half wondering what happened (what mechanism was working) that performances like this could lead to Beatlemania.

With regard to The Beatles, Gus....I'd say that performances such as that one are exactly what led to Beatlemania. They were a heck of a lot more polished than my band (The Thirteenth Floor) was in 1967.   :)

8)

• LePlongeur
  • Chef de Partie

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 17:02:51
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 02:45:13 by LePlongeur »
I’ve started a joke which got more and more serious as the threat went along.
If you refer to the 13th floor elevator as a band, I have doubts if they are on the vynil double released by Elektra. And can’t check it at the moment. That Elektra release started the whole nugget thing and I am very glad that it did. I am sure that the band is on my 4CD box, since I have that on frequently in the car.

So, if I’m not mistaken the Beatles aren’t on it, not on the British 4CD too.

Not all’s lost if it’s not polished enough.

They had the good fortune to have an enormous amount of articles in the media. But the media are a fickle mistress.

I didn’t intend to annoy anyone. And I didn’t intend to do any Beatles bashing too.
I just thought that a different angle would be fun.
Kind regards, Gus

Repairing a typo....

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #12 on: January 24, 2019, 17:42:06
If you refer to the 13th floor elevator as a band, I have doubts if they are on the vynil double released by Elektra.

Interesting.....you, my friend, are a veritable encyclopedia of musical knowledge. We were not them......I was not even aware of them until years later. We actually sounded a bit like them but we were only doing the standard covers of the time....Louie Louie, Gloria. House of the Rising Sun....that kind of stuff. We did do a few odd things as well such as "Trouble Comin' Every Day" by The Mothers of Invention. I actually sang lead on that one.

Ah...what the heck......appropriate for these times as well, right, Gus?

Do you think Zappa might have been an alien?  ;)

• LePlongeur
  • Chef de Partie

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Re: Life from another plan
Reply #13 on: January 24, 2019, 19:19:21
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 02:39:47 by LePlongeur »
Exactly this is what I had in mind, @Leonard Scaper,  a loose exchange of weird, humorous things.
And funny to hear you stem from a cover oriented band at the same time I was in a band that did very few covers. High time baby, a B side by the Spencer Davis Group.

Come to think of it, if I did a cover, it was almost always a B side.

Our band was the first to be highlighted on France TV bouton rouge, a one hour special on french TV, when they had only two channels.

Recordings are lost I’m afraid.
Bouton rouge = red button by the way. Recorded live in a church in Amsterdam Osdorp. One of the roughest parts of Amsterdam at the time. And at the present time too.

With the bands income, we financed the way the Amsterdam professors/scientist of fame brought municipality  to their knees.
We paid them to write a small report on their prediction on how a certain industry would develop and have effect on the health of the Amsterdam population.
It came as a surprise to these noble men in the Genentech Raad, that (with mostly wind from the west) the toxic clouds would go all over Amsterdam before petering out. Now that wasn’t exactly higher rocket science if you allow a very dangerous industry in the western part of Amsterdam?

It takes some smart plotting to make Amsterdam, ‘pull back’ their granted permit to build. That has only happened once or twice.
Based on the same Progill report, the Progill company was refused in Belgium and France. But with hindsight, they will have gotten permission somewhere in Asia.
Pity, but at least the population wasn’t as dense there.

All right, i’ve Done it again, doing a rant and rave. The Band Morannon, was of little musical influence, but of large social influence. In 2005 and 2007 (almost 20 years later,) people graduated on ‘social significance’ and became doctor (master of science).

A very much wavering out kind of discussion (if that’s the right expression)...., sorry about that.

Frenkie de Jong is transferred from NL to Barcelona (a musicians dream, but it’s about football) for a mere € 75.000.000,00, while my nephew has been footballing with him since ‘birth’.

That’s how unpredictable it is. In music and in other fields.
The new Cruyff is born.

Like oil on the water, this post.
Kind regards, Gus

PS
Frenkie  is called Frenkie after Frankie goes to Hollywood.
This is where the guitars (?) meet the ball.

• LePlongeur
  • Chef de Partie

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #14 on: January 25, 2019, 03:00:41
And to answer your question, yes Zappa is definitely alien.

And a genius too, I thought at the time Freak out was released. He lost me after the third or so album. But that was not unique. Dylan lost me with Nashville Skyline.
In 1968 and 1969 I worked in a record store Rembrandtsplein in Amsterdam. And my long term memory is still intact.

Some Kinney (maybe you have already seen it)  about the beginnings of Zappa on TV.
What would aliens think of someone playing bike and gets a lot of pussy? Is that genius or what?
I like your suggestion a lot.
He must have been Dutch in former lifes/lives.

Enjoy!
Kind regards, Gus

xx
Life in Real Life

Started by TheMrHall on Songs for review

0 Replies
Last post September 11, 2015, 00:36:18
by TheMrHall
xx
In Another Life

Started by digger72 on Songs for review

5 Replies