Author Topic: Memories of gigs that went wrong  (Read 109 times)

Offline MichaelA

• Rotisseur
  • Karma Hunter
Memories of gigs that went wrong
« on: December 03, 2017, 22:12:28 »
Hi all, well I thought it might be entertaining to have a thread where we can share any memories we might have of gigs from the past that went wrong – but can now be looked back at and the funny side of the experience appreciated.

With a broad spectrum community like the Kitchen, surely it can’t just be me with a memory full of dodgy gig experiences!

Well I will kick off with this one: 

So going back to my youth I used to play in this particular ‘new wave’ punky style band. It was tough to get gigs round our little town as most venue owners thought punks were trouble makers. So sometimes we would actually  lie a little to get a gig, just the odd white lie – saying we were a Country band, for example.

Now this particular venue owner was looking for a band to compliment their ‘Saturday Night Fever’ tribute night, where punters were encouraged to dress up as John Travolta and cast. Could we do any Bee Gees numbers? asked the promoter. “Course we can, we just love the Bee Gees!” our drummer had apparently replied on the phone…well the gig was worth a couple of hundred quid, which was a lot back then.

So we set about rehearsing a punk version of ‘Stayin’ Alive’. I remember it did have the lyrics in it:

“Ah, ha, ha, ha, you’re not alive, you’re not alive,” all accompanied by a guitar thrash through fuzzbox.

When we were introduced on the night by the DJ a lot of the crowd eagerly approached the stage at the front of the dance floor to listen in and practice their finest disco moves. But within about thirty seconds they had all literally retreated as far away from us as they could, all huddled around the bar, horrified by our punk rock primitive wall of noise.

About two minutes later a somewhat aggressive lady venue owner came running towards us across the otherwise empty dance floor. Mouth foaming etc…
“Group! Group! Get off!” she yelled. But we carried on playing even more frantically and me – as lead singer – kept on singing.” I noticed she had £200 in notes in her hand and was manically waving this at me from the foot of the stage, but she was too fat and unfit apparently to climb onto the stage to manhandle me.

Anyhow, we carried on playing as the punters boos rang out, only having to dodge maybe two beer bottles now being hurled our way. Amateurs! Have you ever seen Barry Gibb lookalikes  throw a beer bottle properly?!

Anyway the gig owner then sneakily appeared backstage, and approached our power bank where she abruptly unplugged our master socket – and wham, we were silenced, apart from the drummer, but even he had lost his punch with no PA amplification. There was only one thing for me to do. I fell to the floor writhing around.

“You’ve electrocuted me! You’ve electrocuted me!” I cried.

“I’m calling the police!” yelled the now very distressed gig owner.

“So are we!” my fellow band members retorted. “And an ambulance!” I continued to writhe on the stage floor in apparent agony

…Well the police did finally arrive.  But a very nice young British police officer advised the gig owner to pay us, and we in turn agreed to waive charges on the ‘electrocution’ offence.

With two hundred quid in our mitts we then went and blew most of it in a local Pizzeria, treating our band and a few of our more ardent followers. Not a bad night’s pay day for a three minute set – that classic, single rendition of ‘Your Not Alive’!

Punk falsetto at its best!

Anyway, any more memories anyone?
If you like novels with a musical theme, why not try 'Sixth Beatle - When Music Changed The World', easily found on Amazon and Google. It is amazing, although as the author I may be biased!

Offline Leonard Scaper

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • Guest Chef
Re: Memories of gigs that went wrong
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 23:26:44 »
That is a FANTASTIC story! I can't help but be reminded of that similar scene in the Blues Brothers movie.....beer bottles flying. I love it! VERY punk!

I can only recount the gig when as a three piece acoustic group doing covers of Jackson Browne, James Taylor and The Eagles we got a gig at a restaurant called Friar Tuck's....good pay. The friar met us at the door in full friar attire and informed us that we were to go from table to table playing. It was....bad. Folks looked up at us and just shook their heads.

A few months later there was a fire in the Friar's place.......guess he was not doing very well.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/returntomountain

Offline MichaelA

• Rotisseur
  • Karma Hunter
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 23:45:44 »

A few months later there was a fire in the Friar's place.......guess he was not doing very well.

Haha! Did you sing Come On Baby Light My Fire as you went round those tables, by any chance?  ;D

Offline Leonard Scaper

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • Guest Chef
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 01:11:41 »
HA!!!

No...but we did sing "We Gotta Get Out Of This Place"

;D

Offline Knate

• Poissonier
  • Musical Polygamist
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 01:22:28 »
@MichaelA That story is ridiculous but completely awesome!  You guys were swinging around some serious cajones for pulling that stunt!  Haha

I don't have a story that hold a candle to that  ::headphone::

Offline MichaelA

• Rotisseur
  • Karma Hunter
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 23:13:23 »
Thanks @Knate, well oddly at the time we didn't consider it a stunt. Even though people had turned up for a classic disco evening we sincerely thought that as soon as they heard us play they would be won over to our unique version of  thrash punk....delusional? Yes, guilty!  ;D

xx
The funny gigs thread!!

Started by Mar T. on Life

2 Replies
Last post January 27, 2017, 20:58:46
by Mar T.
xx
How do you score gigs/floor spots?

Started by siennalittle on Life

2 Replies
Last post January 05, 2015, 17:47:30
by Dutchbeat