• Music of the World
  • Started by Bill from November Sound
Re: Music of the World
Reply #15 on: January 05, 2019, 15:20:39
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 15:40:02 by Bill from November Sound »
Maybe @LePlongeur can make some sense of this. I think it is Portuguese and Flemish maybe? (Is Flemish a language?) It is Dutch maybe? 

This song has always spoken to me. I found it on a putomayo compilation CD years ago and I just listened to this over and over.  :)

My friend (a drummer who also studied music and took a few world music and ethnomusicology with one of the same professors I had)  would always joke that the yuppies would put on a putomayo CD and then think that they were experts in world music. They were trendy, cool and enlightened people once they put in that world music compilation CD.  :)   

I'm not sure if "yuppie" translates well.

Anyway, I found this on a CD and I like it.

When you study music of the world, history and culture you quickly realize that what we do is a mere drop in the bucket. It amazes me the people that dedicate their lives to studying, collecting and preserving the music of indigenous peoples Ö...for me just a couple semesters and I felt pretty small.
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

• LePlongeur
  • Chef de Partie
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Today at 10:04:28
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #16 on: January 05, 2019, 19:56:55
 I donít think that I am better than anyone else where languages are concerned.
Perhaps I have more fun with linguistics and things you have fun with are handled a bit easier.

The proof of what I say has been given by yourself. You are absolutely right about the song being sung in Flemish and Portuguese. So kudos to you and your linguistic skills.

Flemish is a dialect and as such, a result of Belgium being a part of De Nederlanden (the Lowlands) untill 1830.
Then there was an uproar/freedom fight  (Belgium history books) and they became a country of their own. According to Dutch books there was a revolution which had to be suppressed, a thing we didnít do bloody enough.
In Belgium uproar is not an act that is persecutable and punishable, since the existence of belgium is a consequence of an uproar.

When Carlos Puigdemont, mayor of Barcelona, was in trouble, he looked for a country in which uproar is no problem. So it was not a big surprise he went to Belgium.

Languages spoken in Belgium are Flemish, French, German (there is a small but fanatical where talk and billboards etc are in German. There are a lot of Italian families as well, specially in the mining areas.

In my earlier post I hinted at the question how you wanted to define world music. By country or region, as it is usually done, or by the way the language and topics are handled. If you do that, the blues is the blues, no matter what language is used.

I like this thread a lot. You are a master of inventing questions that make me think again.
And questions, even if we donít have all the answers, are fun and very important. Very very important, I mean.
Kind regards, Gus

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 09:20:44
  • more
Reply #17 on: January 05, 2019, 20:25:23
WOW what a find! @Bill from November Sound
and @LePlongeur

yes, it is Flemish, right? i am trying to hear the lyrics
what a nice track  ::headphone:: ::headphone:: ::headphone::
me, myself, and Pie

Reply #18 on: January 06, 2019, 17:07:22
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 17:09:30 by Bill from November Sound »
Today is the 12th Day of Christmas. El Dia de los Tres Reyes ( Three Kings Day, The Epiphany)

I grew up and spent most of my life in a community where this day was a big part of the holiday season. For Puerto Ricans ( and others ) this is a main celebration of Christmas.  I really love this musical style called Aguinaldo that happens only this time of year. Maybe you'll like it as well? Even if you don't celebrate the religious aspect Ö.. To me it just has such a cool rhythm.