• Oh no, my favorate cheap headphones Sennheiser HD201 broke.. alternatives?
  • Started by Mar T.
  • Mar T.
  • Senior Site Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • Pay it forward! (watch that movie..)

• Today at 03:02:32
    • Duiven
  • more
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 02:01:06 by Mar T. »
Hi everybody,

Help! Haha.. my favorate cheap headphones set Sennheiser HD201 broke.. Physically.. I stepped on them.. Damn.. They still produce sound, but mechanically the left side broke loose. Still able to fit the 'left can' into the 'other 75% of what's leftover', but I'm afraid I need a new pair. The only place to get 'them' is on market places, they're not for sale at mainstream retailers anymore. The HD206 successor (never tried that set) is also 'end of life'.
So I set a few buy orders at market places where 'new in box' sets of this type are offered.

I love(d) the sound of the HD201.. have been working with them for more than 15 years. They're kind of 'flat' and 'rich' in their response both at the same time. Unfortunately they only costed something like $30, so this is no pro range (if a pro range is successful I guess that model will never enter EOL phase, at least not in a lifetime). I've been using these cups as a reference for so long, wrote many replies to 'Songs for review' in our kitchen 'trusting' the sound I got from the Sennheiser set. Also mixed/produced all of my work so far using this set as my 'main' reference monitor.

Notice I DO have a more expensive AKG set of cups (AKG K702), I'm using that set since 2 years, just to 'build' another 'reference' monitor.
Btw, I know I 'should' but I don't use nearfield monitor speakers. I tend to work when everybody's asleep (or enjoying quiet hours), so that's  not an option.
I also use my HIFI set at home, my mono phone sound and car stereo to get different 'references'/'perspectives' I trust; but these are secondary. As in 'to evaluate my work when I'm not actively working on my projects'.

2 questions:
-How do you all manage 'reference' equipment? Do you have favorite listening 'hardware' that help you 'judge' if your work sounds how it was intended?
-Is there anyone with experience with Sennheiser's HD201 or HD206 headphones who can add some alternative headphone brand/models with the same characteristics?

Cheers!!
Mar T.
:mart:

Hi @Mar T.    So where you live there are none of those available? Here I'm seeing some that say "available in store" but it probably costs double the price to ship them to you, I'd guess.
I think you'll be able to get some even if it ends being a ebay kind of thing.

Have you ever tried Audio Technica headphones? I kind of like them. Melissa likes the AKG's.
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 10:32:17
    • Terra Firma
  • more
I think it's great that you have built your mixes using those bargain price cans @Mar T.  as your mixes are full and wonderfully balanced. I am one who has always mixed on headphones but I have also always spent a ton of money on them. My current go to set is Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro.

I also reference on a less costly set of Sony 7509.

Here is a Sennheiser 201 frequency graph
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD201.pdf

And Sony 7509 for comparison
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SonyMDR7509HD.pdf

They are similar but those Sennheisers look pretty smooth in the mid range.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• Mar T.
  • Senior Site Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • Pay it forward! (watch that movie..)

• Today at 03:02:32
    • Duiven
  • more
Hi @Mar T.    So where you live there are none of those available? Here I'm seeing some that say "available in store" but it probably costs double the price to ship them to you, I'd guess.
I think you'll be able to get some even if it ends being a ebay kind of thing.

Have you ever tried Audio Technica headphones? I kind of like them. Melissa likes the AKG's.

Hey @Bill from November Sound thanx for your reply! Fortunately I found some on a dutch eBay-ish site. I ordered 2 pairs.. (just to be sure haha)
Heard of Audio Technica but never used them. I'll try a pair of them when I have the opportunity, curious. The AKG's are great, fantastic quality. Does Melissa also have the AKG-K702? They have a very flat frequency response and sound very well.. flat.. I don't like the flat sound of them, but to me they're fantastic for a neutral reference.

I think it's great that you have built your mixes using those bargain price cans @Mar T.  as your mixes are full and wonderfully balanced. I am one who has always mixed on headphones but I have also always spent a ton of money on them. My current go to set is Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro.

I also reference on a less costly set of Sony 7509.

Here is a Sennheiser 201 frequency graph
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD201.pdf

And Sony 7509 for comparison
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SonyMDR7509HD.pdf

They are similar but those Sennheisers look pretty smooth in the mid range.

Cheers @Leonard Scaper , yeah they're really cheap, but I always loved the sound of them, can't help it.. When I hear a song through those sennheisers I'm able to 'judge' if I like what I hear. Another pair (cheap or not) would have been a nightmare for me to get used to.. The Sony you recommend looks like a great alternative, thank you! Aahh the Beyerdynamics.. they sound wonderful!! Listened through a pair of them at Roel's (you know him haha).

Cheers guys and thanks for thinking along!
Mar T.
:mart:

Oh you already got some @Mar T.  ? ..... we were ready to get on a plane and bring some to you!  :)
There's a direct flight from Hartford to Amsterdam now.   :D

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 11:44:13
  • more
hi @Mar T. ....rule number one about headphone maintainance is ...

not to step on them... ;D ;D ;D ;D

but i see you already bought new headphones....anyway... ;D ;D ;D my first hunch would have been, as you know: use ductape  ;D ;D ;D ;D

i use senheiser HD 215 headphones at the moment, they probably are even cheaper that the HD201 and the HD206 that you mention,i don't know,  but i think they are great

me, myself, and Pie

xx
cheap gear

Started by Dutchbeat on Life

0 Replies
Last post November 07, 2015, 17:35:41
by Dutchbeat
xx
Want Cheap Acoustic Treatment? DIY!

Started by ImKeN on Songwriting Ingredients

7 Replies
Last post April 28, 2017, 02:39:36