• Stage Names, Artist Names, Noms de Plume.......
  • Started by Leonard Scaper
  • Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 20:36:23
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Stage Names, Artist Names, Noms de Plume.......
on: October 28, 2018, 20:32:33
Perhaps we have discussed this already.....if so, I have forgotten.  I am getting old. Either way, we have lots of new kitcheneers and I'd love to hear the story of your stage name, band name, or writing name.

@Pleudoniem and I were discussing our artist names and we got to wondering about everybody else.  As many of you already know, I began writing many years ago as a landscaper and thought it would be cool to have a nom de plume.....hence Len Scaper. My real life name is Steve Gleason.

:)

Anybody else care to share? Even a good story about an old band name that you may have been part of would be cool.

8)
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

Re: Stage Names, Artist Names, Noms de Plume.......
Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 20:44:44
So that makes it obvious that I will be the first person to add to this. Well, this is what I wrote to @Leonard Scaper half an hour ago:

The name Pleudoniem has a special background to it. I am a linguist, and I teach English for a living. When I was still a student, I had to write a research paper on dyslexic behaviour in language production. The professor who taught the course told me that you can make ordinary people slightly dyslexic by letting them read up complicated words in a tempo that is slightly too quick for them. So, I devised a long list with words containing very mean consonant clusters, to tease the mistakes out. One of them was 'pseudoniem', which - you may have guessed - is 'pseudonym' in English. In Dutch, you have to pronounce the p AND the s, unlike in English psychologist, where the 'p' is omitted. But such a combination is quite error prone, and some of my testees changed it to pLeudoniem'. I figured that would be a nice 'pseudonym' to use :)

I am curious about yours.
Pleudoniem: composer; bass guitarist; guitarist; singer; drummer; tap-guitarist - o, and yes... erm- a bit of keys. Open for collabs.
SoundCloud Page: https://soundcloud.com/pleudoniem

• LePlongeur
  • Chef de Partie
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Today at 17:52:42
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 08:58:22
I work my way to the bottom, as the room at the top has been taken.
- DuhSjaak, loosely translates to I'mFucked
- JiltedJohnny
- LePlongeur, the lowest in rank in a French Kitchen

I have a strange but uncontrollable dislike for the big ego's in musicland.

If we can't laugh about ourselves, somebody else will.
There's really nothing more to it.

Kind regards, Gus

Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 23:16:41
Nice one.
OK, eric craptone... what can I say?
As I'm primarily a guitarist I have to say Eric Clapton's adoption as a guitar god has always amazed me as he's complete crap.

Secondly I just love atrocious guitar sounds. It's what attracted me to electric guitar, the fact that you can mangle the sound and transform it into some horrendous f*cking wail from the kebab shops of Hades.

Thirdly, I could play  nice proper music like I used to, what peeps occasionally wanted to listen to. But everyone does that.
 In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections, the bad sounds, the bum notes.
That's where I plug my guitar in.

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 20:36:23
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 11:22:41
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 11:27:40 by Leonard Scaper »
In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections

I am right there with you, man!!! In fact, I'm appropriating that quote.  ;)

Let's re-humanize music!!!

8)

I think Clapton had his moments, btw.

Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 02:48:48
Not sure about this band name thing but I sure have a lot of birthdays to deal with this upcoming week!  ;) :shinyteeth:

I just have to say: You all look wonderful tonight -  ::e-guitar3:: meow, meow, meow, neow, neow, neow.  ::Note::    :yes:

Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 15:05:27
My stage name is Monty LaMeer. Monty is my cat's name and I wanted a name that kind of rolls off the tongue. I love Lana Del Rey's vibe but couldn't have anything too similar to her name. I also love the ocean (la mer) and meerkats (meer). So...yeah.

My OTHER more humorous stage name is Lady Baa Baa. I LOVE Lady Gaga and I've collected sheep toys and figurines since I was 15, soooo...Lady Baa Baa it is. I have that tattooed on my right side.
"But never have I been a blue calm sea...I have always been a storm." - Stevie Nicks

Followed by Lady Gaga on Twitter since 2009! ❤

Some of Monty's songs:
www.soundcloud.com/monty-la-meer

xx
Names of bands you have formed or played in

Started by Wicked Deeds on The kitchen café

5 Replies
Last post November 13, 2013, 22:12:35
by fischermans
xx
Loudness is achieved in the mixing stage, not the mastering stage!

Started by Mar T. on Songwriting Ingredients

4 Replies
Last post April 12, 2019, 02:06:25
by Mar T.
xx
The value for you as an artist, to have people around you listening

Started by Mar T. on The kitchen café

0 Replies
Last post February 17, 2019, 03:20:19
by Mar T.
wink
iiviivix : The 10 Paragraphs of the artist known as...

Started by iiviivix on Me

7 Replies
Last post August 07, 2017, 01:18:17
by iiviivix
xx
Hey guys I'm Cain White, New York solo Artist! Whats up??

Started by Cain White on Me

11 Replies
Last post April 25, 2016, 22:53:05
by Mark Luto