Author Topic: The kitchen-all-around-the-globe relay race!  (Read 1821 times)

Online Mar T.

• Senior Site Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • Pay it forward! (watch that movie..)
Re: The kitchen-all-around-the-globe relay race!
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2017, 22:43:51 »
OK, so the global trotting red baton now goes on its travels once again. This time to Canada, the home of long-time forum member, the amazing @CrystalSuzy.

Our Suzy has been here in the kitchen since September 2013, practically before some newbies could even play their instruments (!), and in that time has contributed almost 1300 posts. I’ve noticed she’s commented right across the whole spectrum of the forum, so is a true all round contributor and stalwart member of the kitchen community.

Sadly, in recent months, she has been quite ill. She somehow even feels guilty about not being here as much as she would have liked. But we all forgive her of course, and wish her all the best with a speedy recovery! Get well soon, from all of us, C.Suzy.

Now, Suzy has got a rich heritage by way of musical background. Her parents were both very musical and played in a community band. She tells me that her dad used to play classical records, which were piped throughout the house, for the family to hear. He'd also play his trumpet along with Al Hirt tapes. On weekends, Suzy would  wake up to her mom playing beautiful music on the piano, clarinet or French Horn. Amazing upbringing for a songwriter/musician!

On her rich musical background, in her own words, she says:

“I bought my 1st guitar in my teens and started playing and singing with friends around a campfire. I even travelled to Europe with it. Since then I've acquired 3 more guitars, a mandolin, a tenor uke, a saxophone, a pink trombone, a flute, various drums and percussion instruments, a couple of keyboards, a duduk flute and of course a trumpet(which was my dad’s). I play the trombone and the trumpet in our band.”

Suzy is also lucky, in that her partner Cris is also a musician, and so they’ve had a great time together playing in various bands over the years, dabbling in a multitude of genres – Funk,  Latin, African, Middle Eastern, Ska, Reggae, Gypsy. A woman of many talents and a great embracer of music of so many types. Maybe that’s why she can comment with authority on so many different types of song here in the kitchen.
All pretty cool!   ;D

Recently I was really struck by Crystal Suzy’s crazy and imaginative song, ‘Cell Phone Junkies’. https://soundcloud.com/crystalsuzy/cell-phone-junkie It’s a haphazard and unruly comedic social commentary on mobile phone addiction that has so much going on in it my brain almost exploded on first hearing it! Who was the wildly imaginative person behind this creation, I thought? So that’s why I wanted to introduce her here in our relay race.

Since then I have been searching out her other tracks. And in keeping with her diverse heritage, we see she writes in all kinds of genres and styles – she is just immersed in music really as a creative songwriter and performer! Citing her influences as wide, but including Leonard Cohen and Joni Mitchell, it is unsurprising that despite the genre, Suzy always has a lot to say in her songs. They are often deep social and political commentaries. Take https://soundcloud.com/crystalsuzy/in-the-name-of-god-1, which decries all the atrocities Man commits in the name of religion – such dense lyrics and a very powerful message.

Then she can surprise us with beautiful melodic numbers like ‘I’m Fragile’ – which is quite self explanatory in its title, but I guess is the way a lot of artistic people can feel. https://soundcloud.com/crystalsuzy/im-fragile. So very worth a listen!

I’ve been astounded how she can switch effortlessly between styles and moods and genres, and always make a quality contribution to whatever she is presenting. Very versatile artist at work!

Suzy is quite self-deprecating when talking about her songs, saying she just messes around in Garageband and is still learning and developing. She says she enjoys this place, as it helps her get pointers for her own songs, as well as learn from others in how they are approaching this dark art of songwriting. Well, I’m with you on that one! I admire her modesty, but she probably doesn't realise how interesting and absorbing she is an artist - and I for one would like to see her own confidence in her creations grow and blossom!

Well the Kitchen would be a far less rich place without our own Crystal Suzy, and her ongoing support and creative musicianship. It's been a pleasure to be the one to find out more about her, and certainly to hear more of her output, So here’s to our Canadian Queen of the Kitchen, and long may we all hear your music on here for years to come!  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

Wow @MichaelA that's a lovely re-introduction, well done!! Thanks for joining the relay race!!

And look at the miles!

RED
@Mar T. -> @Mark Luto -> @Jambrains -> @Zedd -> @Leonard Scaper -> @MichaelA -> @CrystalSuzy -> ?

GREEN
@Mar T. -> @M57 -> @Nic -> @Olbigead -> @marcus_jb -> ?

BLUE (sorry, suffered from some turbulence..  ;) )
@Mark Luto -> @junemay  -> @Rachel_D -> @acoustic-alice  -> @Mar T. -> @Jurgen -> @Dutchbeat -> ?

(click to enLARGE  ;) )

@CrystalSuzy the RED baton is in your hands, make sure to PM the kitchener you want to introduce!

Cheers!
:mart:
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 22:47:28 by Mar T. »

Offline Dutchbeat

• MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2017, 13:39:14 »
Great description of @CrystalSuzy  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: @MichaelA  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

For team Blue.....I like to hand the blue baton to Mr. Bouzouki.

Mr. Bouzouki joined the kitchen forum quite recently (in june this year), but has already placed more than 170 posts on the forum. So after joining the kitchen he dove right in, and became a very respected and great kitcheneer in a short time. He is one of those members, who takes time to listen to, and comment on, other people’s songs, and he initiates all kinds of new topics  8) 8) 8) 8). His new threads can be about music theory, mixing tips, the best songs from the past decades, Soundcloud, and anything in between. He also joined the new songwriting challenge on the forum (see: https://www.songwriter-forum-kitchen.com/forum/competitions/18/the-2nd-inspirational-input-competition-looking-for-contestants/3361/msg37826#msg37826

When asked about his enormous input to the forum, Mr. Bouzouki commented: “I try to be as helpful as I can. It is part of my nature, research defines me really, and I love passing information on”.  In real life Mr. Bouzouki was a researcher before he retired, and before he joined the kitchen, Mr. Bouzouki also already had a long career in songwriting behind him.

When asked, he remembers the first song he wrote…..he wrote his first song back in 1978…. The song however was “very cheesy” according to Mr. Bouzouki himself, and was called: Excaliber. (he remembers almost all of the lyrics by heart.....nothing cheesy about these lyrics in my opinion, and believe me, i know about cheeses   ;D ;D ;D ;D). Mr. Bouzouki is one of those songwriters who believes a song chooses the songwriter, rather than the other way around. So he has always been armed with a notebook and a pen in case inspiration strikes.

He owns quite a collection of guitars / sting instruments  ::e-guitar:: ::e-guitar:: ::e-guitar::, ranging from old beaten up (but very dear) guitars to his Lionheart flat-back Bouzouki (hence his nickname)  ::OSMAN::. Acquiring his collection of instruments has not been easy since he is left-handed. In the last years he has been making much progress in recording with a DAW (Cubase) and in mixing, using midi, and starting to have more fun and confidence in singing and recording his vocals as well. For a while now he has been working on what will be his master piece….. “It is a 16.5 minutes prog rock monster”  ::e-guitar3:: as he describes it.

I am looking forward to hearing that beast! Thanks for joining the kitchen, Mr. Bouzouki! @MrBouzouki . I am confident that you will pass on the baton to another great kitchenaut and add further mileage for team Blue!!!!  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 13:41:50 by Dutchbeat »
I lost it...ages ago

Offline Leonard Scaper

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • Guest Chef
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2017, 13:38:10 »
I am looking forward to hearing that beast!

Me too!

Also looking forward to hearing that bouzouki.  ;)
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

https://soundcloud.com/leonardscaper

https://soundcloud.com/returntomountain

Offline CrystalSuzy

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2017, 14:20:49 »
WOW, @MichaelA   :o I'm stunned, and also humbled to think that this amazing write-up, is actually about me  ::Note:: I think think you're are an amazing writer, not only because you express yourself so eloquently, but also because you've made me sound like a lot more of a musician, than I really am :-[   ::smiley:: I really appreciate the time you
put into getting to know me and my musical efforts a little better  ::trumpet::
I don't know what to say, other than, thank you from the bottom of my heart  ::heart:: This brought tears to my eyes, and gave me a real confidence boost, which I kind of
needed right now  ::thumb:: I hope that I'll be well enough in the near future, to start cooking in the Kitchen, full steam ahead, once again  ::Suzy::

Offline MichaelA

• Rotisseur
  • Karma Hunter
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2017, 14:31:38 »
I hope that I'll be well enough in the near future, to start cooking in the Kitchen, full steam ahead, once again  ::Suzy::

Well we all hope that, so get well soon @CrystalSuzy. I am glad you enjoyed my write up and if was worth more than a whole pack of pills, then job done!  ::thumb:: As I mentioned. you are a person very much immersed in music, and an example to many of us in your sincere dedication to it.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 14:35:19 by MichaelA »
If you like novels with a musical theme, why not try 'Sixth Beatle - When Music Changed The World', easily found on Amazon and Google. It is amazing, although as the author I may be biased!

Offline MrBouzouki

• Rotisseur
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2017, 19:23:37 »
Cheers for the write-up @Dutchbeat, I had no idea I was that prolific and verbose::)
Please tell me if I am posting too much. I can go on at times ;-)

I tend to put effort into things I think are of value so I guess this means the Kitchen has got a good feeling about it.  ::thumb::

On the bouzouki front @Leonard Scaper just go to my Soundcloud page for the first song I wrote on my Lionheart bouzouki entitled Bouzouki Stomp

https://soundcloud.com/mrbouzouki/bouzouki-stomp

If you want to hear more I do a bouzouki solo on another instrumental  of mine Travelling Song

https://soundcloud.com/mrbouzouki/travelling-song

Oh people can feel free to call me Pete if you want. When you exist as an avatar and moniker online it can get a bit impersonal at times.  ::OSMAN::

P.S. There have been some great write-ups on this thread about members, it makes you realise what a diverse group of people we are

« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 19:25:42 by MrBouzouki »
"Love and Life is all about connections"

Offline MrBouzouki

• Rotisseur
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2017, 19:28:07 »
Ha, @Dutchbeat will be pleased to know that I already have another member who has agreed to having the blue baton passed onto them.

I will keep it under my hat for now  ::Hoss:: but I guess there will be a few more miles for the blue team. 

Offline Dutchbeat

• MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2017, 18:54:38 »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

@Mr. Bouzouki....i know you passed the blue baton a while ago... ::thumb::
but team blue has been stuck for some time now, any chance you can ask him or her to pass the baton again?

or did you pass it to @DishWasher;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline MrBouzouki

• Rotisseur
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2017, 19:26:26 »
@Dutchbeat - just being generally shambolic- I got info from a fellow Kitchen member a while ago.  ::)

Offline Dutchbeat

• MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2017, 19:54:41 »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ah i like that....you are talking in riddles too...

shambolic...

i get it!  ::) ::) ::) ::) @MrBouzouki

(ok..i don't, what does shambolic mean  ??? ::) ::) i know: symbolic, alcoholic and shampoo...putting does three things together makes:

Shambolic)
right?  ;D ;D ;D ;D i am on to something....right  ::) :P :P :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-\ :-\ :-[ :-[ :-[

Offline MrBouzouki

• Rotisseur
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2017, 20:09:04 »
Definition of shambolic
chiefly British
:obviously disorganized or confused
First Known Use: 1970

Sorry @Dutchbeat - it's looks like it's not a universal term.

I was so shambolic I couldn't even find a good word to describe my chaos :-(

Offline Dutchbeat

• MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2017, 19:38:15 »
 ;D ;D ;D ah thanks for explaining that term @MrBouzouki , in that case i am often very shambolic too   :P :P ::) ::) ::)

shamelessly shambolic even  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline MrBouzouki

• Rotisseur
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2017, 00:11:24 »
Right - to stop @Dutchbeat thinking I am completely shambolic (see earlier) I would like to present some facts I was graciously supplied from @Bill from November Sound. (quite a while ago now  ::) ::) ::) )
I must admit that when I had to pass on the Blue Baton (Go Team Blue), I was intrigued by the obvious skill level of Bill, the fact he played gigs with his wife and son and his Jazz Roots.

Anyway, here are the questions I posed to Bill and his responses (slightly edited for brevity) to my questions.

1) I get the feeling from your Internet presence that you personally, and as a family, enjoy creating and performing music for the sheer pleasure of doing it. Is there one thing that makes music special for you ?
I was playing out a lot ... for money for over 20 years. So my son gets to high school and I realize that I'm missing his life. He plays in the school drum-line at the football games on Friday nights, he plays pit in the musicals and so forth. I'm leaving my wife and son alone and they are both talented ....really talented. So I decide to stop ( or at least cut way back) and if I'm going to do gigs I'll do gigs with them.

Melissa, Will and I would play for fun when family and friends came over. Someone who was booking a local restaurant came to see us once and said we were really good. "Oh, we are?" We hadn't ever considered the possibility. So the rest is history. We love music. The money part is over-rated :) The good thing is we can practice at any time. The bad thing is, well, we can practice at any time.

2) Can you tell me a bit more about your time at Hartt? I think it might be interesting to Kitchen members.
Melissa and I are both graduates from the Hartt School of Music. William also spent much of his childhood there with 9 years in the Connecticut Children's Choir. I was around very, very, very talented people and I had to work really hard to do well there. Saxophone was my primary instrument there. Students at Hartt need to audition for ensemble placement each and every semester, pass "jurys" and perform a recital. I always did very well but feel as though I needed to work extra hard to succeed. For my Music Education degree I needed to pass tests on all woodwind, brass and percussion instruments as well as orchestral strings. I needed to sing in the choir, pass "sophomore evaluations" for sight reading, piano proficiency, ear training and voice as well as complete a semester of student teaching.

3) Which do you enjoy the most and why - playing live or recording stuff in the studio ?
Writing and recording is my new love. Playing live has lost some of its glamour at this point....so I try to only do it when it is something that I really want to do.

4) Do you think of yourself as a natural songwriter or is it something you have to work at ?
I don't know....I guess it's kind of easy. (I can kind of create songs right on the spot about anything but they often sound stupid.) I found these songs that I had written way back. They were on random scraps of paper, in notebooks, stuffed in a bag in the back of the closet. I asked Melissa if she wanted to sing one ( Dark Eyes) and that started it all. I then realized that I needed to write songs with a more "feminine" perspective as the words need to make sense for Melissa to sing. So, that is how I started "You Only Love You" and our Mythology album. She is my voice.

5) Do you have a jazz background ? If so is that a result of your time at Hartt ?
I study Jazz all the time. But, I studied classical/contemporary at Hartt. I love jazz but my playing is more commercial. (People usually hire me to play the  R&B Saturday Night Live style saxophone.)

6) Are there any genres you really love or really hate ? Alternatively,  is all music cool for you ?
I love all music!!!! I love music of the world. I love music history and culture. I went to school in a very diverse community and it was the Puerto Rican musicians that actually got me started in music by way of the Merengue band horn sections. By the age of 16 I was playing in the Spanish night clubs in nearby cities. To this day I still play with groups that perform Finnish folk/contemporary music. I also play with musicians that work in the West African drumming traditions.

7) As a multi-instrumentalist do you think one instrument defines you musically ?
I tried to quit saxophone.  ;)

8) Do you consider yourself a singer, or do you always leave it to your better half ;-)
I love to sing. But no one else wants to hear me.... :) Actually William and I do background vocals. You can hear us in some of the songs. (choir part at the end of Strong Love) Melissa gives me a voice that I wouldn't have ever had. The words and melodies in my mind can become something beautiful with her singing them. Also, William is my right hand man. With his help my melodic and rhythmic ideas can become an actual song.

So poor old @Bill from November Sound had to endure the full-on Mr Bouzouki spotlight , so hats off to him for being so open with his answers. As you can see this talented multi-instrumentalist is basically 'immersed in music' with his family. What a great situation to be in.

What poor Bill doesn't realise is that now the Blue Baton has gone from the UK across to the USA it is his job to find another mark willing volunteer to engage in the same generous way that he has.

Good Luck mate !

Offline Dutchbeat

• MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2017, 17:38:33 »
Ha, team Blue is way ahead of the rest!!!!! Yoehoe!!!! :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

and @Mar T. even will have to expand the map to fit where the blue batton already has gone.....

Very nice to learn more about how the November sound comes about  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: and: @Bill from November Sound , you have quite a history in making music with a lot of experience performing live too  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::
thanks for sharing this @MrBouzouki and @Bill from November Sound .....and.....i can't wait to see where you are going to send the blue batton to next Bill...

Online Bill from November Sound

« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2017, 22:30:19 »
Thank you @MrBouzouki and @Dutchbeat ! It is truly an honor and I am indeed very fortunate.

I'm working on the baton pass right now  ;) 
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

xx
Kitchen

Started by D Rebal on Me

6 Replies
Last post June 10, 2016, 15:05:30
by D Rebal
xx
The Kitchen

Started by Kafla on Forum News/Updates

0 Replies