Author Topic: The kitchen-all-around-the-globe relay race!  (Read 1081 times)

Offline Mar T.

• Senior Site Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • Pay it forward! (watch that movie..)
Re: The kitchen-all-around-the-globe relay race!
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2017, 22:43:51 »
OK, so the global trotting red baton now goes on its travels once again. This time to Canada, the home of long-time forum member, the amazing @CrystalSuzy.

Our Suzy has been here in the kitchen since September 2013, practically before some newbies could even play their instruments (!), and in that time has contributed almost 1300 posts. I’ve noticed she’s commented right across the whole spectrum of the forum, so is a true all round contributor and stalwart member of the kitchen community.

Sadly, in recent months, she has been quite ill. She somehow even feels guilty about not being here as much as she would have liked. But we all forgive her of course, and wish her all the best with a speedy recovery! Get well soon, from all of us, C.Suzy.

Now, Suzy has got a rich heritage by way of musical background. Her parents were both very musical and played in a community band. She tells me that her dad used to play classical records, which were piped throughout the house, for the family to hear. He'd also play his trumpet along with Al Hirt tapes. On weekends, Suzy would  wake up to her mom playing beautiful music on the piano, clarinet or French Horn. Amazing upbringing for a songwriter/musician!

On her rich musical background, in her own words, she says:

“I bought my 1st guitar in my teens and started playing and singing with friends around a campfire. I even travelled to Europe with it. Since then I've acquired 3 more guitars, a mandolin, a tenor uke, a saxophone, a pink trombone, a flute, various drums and percussion instruments, a couple of keyboards, a duduk flute and of course a trumpet(which was my dad’s). I play the trombone and the trumpet in our band.”

Suzy is also lucky, in that her partner Cris is also a musician, and so they’ve had a great time together playing in various bands over the years, dabbling in a multitude of genres – Funk,  Latin, African, Middle Eastern, Ska, Reggae, Gypsy. A woman of many talents and a great embracer of music of so many types. Maybe that’s why she can comment with authority on so many different types of song here in the kitchen.
All pretty cool!   ;D

Recently I was really struck by Crystal Suzy’s crazy and imaginative song, ‘Cell Phone Junkies’. https://soundcloud.com/crystalsuzy/cell-phone-junkie It’s a haphazard and unruly comedic social commentary on mobile phone addiction that has so much going on in it my brain almost exploded on first hearing it! Who was the wildly imaginative person behind this creation, I thought? So that’s why I wanted to introduce her here in our relay race.

Since then I have been searching out her other tracks. And in keeping with her diverse heritage, we see she writes in all kinds of genres and styles – she is just immersed in music really as a creative songwriter and performer! Citing her influences as wide, but including Leonard Cohen and Joni Mitchell, it is unsurprising that despite the genre, Suzy always has a lot to say in her songs. They are often deep social and political commentaries. Take https://soundcloud.com/crystalsuzy/in-the-name-of-god-1, which decries all the atrocities Man commits in the name of religion – such dense lyrics and a very powerful message.

Then she can surprise us with beautiful melodic numbers like ‘I’m Fragile’ – which is quite self explanatory in its title, but I guess is the way a lot of artistic people can feel. https://soundcloud.com/crystalsuzy/im-fragile. So very worth a listen!

I’ve been astounded how she can switch effortlessly between styles and moods and genres, and always make a quality contribution to whatever she is presenting. Very versatile artist at work!

Suzy is quite self-deprecating when talking about her songs, saying she just messes around in Garageband and is still learning and developing. She says she enjoys this place, as it helps her get pointers for her own songs, as well as learn from others in how they are approaching this dark art of songwriting. Well, I’m with you on that one! I admire her modesty, but she probably doesn't realise how interesting and absorbing she is an artist - and I for one would like to see her own confidence in her creations grow and blossom!

Well the Kitchen would be a far less rich place without our own Crystal Suzy, and her ongoing support and creative musicianship. It's been a pleasure to be the one to find out more about her, and certainly to hear more of her output, So here’s to our Canadian Queen of the Kitchen, and long may we all hear your music on here for years to come!  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

Wow @MichaelA that's a lovely re-introduction, well done!! Thanks for joining the relay race!!

And look at the miles!

RED
@Mar T. -> @Mark Luto -> @Jambrains -> @Zedd -> @Leonard Scaper -> @MichaelA -> @CrystalSuzy -> ?

GREEN
@Mar T. -> @M57 -> @Nic -> @Olbigead -> @marcus_jb -> ?

BLUE (sorry, suffered from some turbulence..  ;) )
@Mark Luto -> @junemay  -> @Rachel_D -> @acoustic-alice  -> @Mar T. -> @Jurgen -> @Dutchbeat -> ?

(click to enLARGE  ;) )

@CrystalSuzy the RED baton is in your hands, make sure to PM the kitchener you want to introduce!

Cheers!
:mart:
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 22:47:28 by Mar T. »

Online Dutchbeat

• MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2017, 13:39:14 »
Great description of @CrystalSuzy  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: @MichaelA  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

For team Blue.....I like to hand the blue baton to Mr. Bouzouki.

Mr. Bouzouki joined the kitchen forum quite recently (in june this year), but has already placed more than 170 posts on the forum. So after joining the kitchen he dove right in, and became a very respected and great kitcheneer in a short time. He is one of those members, who takes time to listen to, and comment on, other people’s songs, and he initiates all kinds of new topics  8) 8) 8) 8). His new threads can be about music theory, mixing tips, the best songs from the past decades, Soundcloud, and anything in between. He also joined the new songwriting challenge on the forum (see: https://www.songwriter-forum-kitchen.com/forum/competitions/18/the-2nd-inspirational-input-competition-looking-for-contestants/3361/msg37826#msg37826

When asked about his enormous input to the forum, Mr. Bouzouki commented: “I try to be as helpful as I can. It is part of my nature, research defines me really, and I love passing information on”.  In real life Mr. Bouzouki was a researcher before he retired, and before he joined the kitchen, Mr. Bouzouki also already had a long career in songwriting behind him.

When asked, he remembers the first song he wrote…..he wrote his first song back in 1978…. The song however was “very cheesy” according to Mr. Bouzouki himself, and was called: Excaliber. (he remembers almost all of the lyrics by heart.....nothing cheesy about these lyrics in my opinion, and believe me, i know about cheeses   ;D ;D ;D ;D). Mr. Bouzouki is one of those songwriters who believes a song chooses the songwriter, rather than the other way around. So he has always been armed with a notebook and a pen in case inspiration strikes.

He owns quite a collection of guitars / sting instruments  ::e-guitar:: ::e-guitar:: ::e-guitar::, ranging from old beaten up (but very dear) guitars to his Lionheart flat-back Bouzouki (hence his nickname)  ::OSMAN::. Acquiring his collection of instruments has not been easy since he is left-handed. In the last years he has been making much progress in recording with a DAW (Cubase) and in mixing, using midi, and starting to have more fun and confidence in singing and recording his vocals as well. For a while now he has been working on what will be his master piece….. “It is a 16.5 minutes prog rock monster”  ::e-guitar3:: as he describes it.

I am looking forward to hearing that beast! Thanks for joining the kitchen, Mr. Bouzouki! @MrBouzouki . I am confident that you will pass on the baton to another great kitchenaut and add further mileage for team Blue!!!!  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 13:41:50 by Dutchbeat »
I lost it...ages ago

Online Leonard Scaper

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • Guest Chef
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2017, 13:38:10 »
I am looking forward to hearing that beast!

Me too!

Also looking forward to hearing that bouzouki.  ;)
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/leonardscaper

https://soundcloud.com/returntomountain

Offline CrystalSuzy

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2017, 14:20:49 »
WOW, @MichaelA   :o I'm stunned, and also humbled to think that this amazing write-up, is actually about me  ::Note:: I think think you're are an amazing writer, not only because you express yourself so eloquently, but also because you've made me sound like a lot more of a musician, than I really am :-[   ::smiley:: I really appreciate the time you
put into getting to know me and my musical efforts a little better  ::trumpet::
I don't know what to say, other than, thank you from the bottom of my heart  ::heart:: This brought tears to my eyes, and gave me a real confidence boost, which I kind of
needed right now  ::thumb:: I hope that I'll be well enough in the near future, to start cooking in the Kitchen, full steam ahead, once again  ::Suzy::

Offline MichaelA

• Poissonier
  • Karma Hunter
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2017, 14:31:38 »
I hope that I'll be well enough in the near future, to start cooking in the Kitchen, full steam ahead, once again  ::Suzy::

Well we all hope that, so get well soon @CrystalSuzy. I am glad you enjoyed my write up and if was worth more than a whole pack of pills, then job done!  ::thumb:: As I mentioned. you are a person very much immersed in music, and an example to many of us in your sincere dedication to it.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 14:35:19 by MichaelA »
If you like novels with a musical theme, why not try 'Sixth Beatle - When Music Changed The World', easily found on Amazon and Google. It is amazing, although as the author I may be biased!

Offline MrBouzouki

• Poissonier
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2017, 19:23:37 »
Cheers for the write-up @Dutchbeat, I had no idea I was that prolific and verbose::)
Please tell me if I am posting too much. I can go on at times ;-)

I tend to put effort into things I think are of value so I guess this means the Kitchen has got a good feeling about it.  ::thumb::

On the bouzouki front @Leonard Scaper just go to my Soundcloud page for the first song I wrote on my Lionheart bouzouki entitled Bouzouki Stomp

https://soundcloud.com/mrbouzouki/bouzouki-stomp

If you want to hear more I do a bouzouki solo on another instrumental  of mine Travelling Song

https://soundcloud.com/mrbouzouki/travelling-song

Oh people can feel free to call me Pete if you want. When you exist as an avatar and moniker online it can get a bit impersonal at times.  ::OSMAN::

P.S. There have been some great write-ups on this thread about members, it makes you realise what a diverse group of people we are

« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 19:25:42 by MrBouzouki »
"Love and Life is all about connections"

Offline MrBouzouki

• Poissonier
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2017, 19:28:07 »
Ha, @Dutchbeat will be pleased to know that I already have another member who has agreed to having the blue baton passed onto them.

I will keep it under my hat for now  ::Hoss:: but I guess there will be a few more miles for the blue team. 

xx
right here...the kitchen...

Started by Dutchbeat on Songs for review

16 Replies
Last post April 25, 2014, 07:52:58
by CrystalSuzy
xx
WELCOME to the KITCHEN 2.0!!

Started by Mar T. on Forum News/Updates

68 Replies
Last post March 19, 2016, 17:03:17
by Rachel_D