• the questions you never dared to ask....feel free to place those in this thread
  • Started by Dutchbeat
  • Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 13:34:49
  • more
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 21:58:33 by Dutchbeat »
ok....i will go first

with a question i never dared to ask

about songwriting

here it goes;

what is all that about ...and mentioning, referring to....Nashville about  :o

almost one.. out of.....10... or 20  ;D ;D ;D Soundcloud users... in their profile description

like to refer to having been or being connected to Nashville in some way

no really, they went there, moved there, want to move there, recorded there once, or been picked up there in some form, or have an uncle out there...have been produced out there

i am still talking about Nashville....

and...it all sounds...a bit the same..the tracks that have that label, or connection, in some way: Nashville, you know....are like
they have been produced in Nashville...and you can hear it...no surprises, or anything

what is it with this magic place?  ::) ??? :P
(serious question)

I lost it...ages ago

« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 23:10:24 by Bluedusksun »
I have an idea to the why, but no in depth specifics (which I am sure it goes back a long way history wise). Nashville was pretty much the country music mecca. There is a huge music industry there, recording studios, concert venues, etc. I think it goes back to elvis and even further, Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson. Back in the day you went to Nashville if you wanted to be a star/famous musician.

Thing of it is now with the pop song country music that is getting churned out regularly, there is no real feel to it. Nashville is notorious for owning the rights to songs, they just buy them from artists and composers, have literally libraries of songs. When your a decent singer, say a voice tv show star, they take you down there, show you ten songs and tell you to pick three. Then they record you, debut you, give you a cigar, and hope for some reason you will stand out amongst a million same.

I know a girl that was an excellent singer and contestant of one of those shows and that is exactly what happened to her. She has a lovely voice, but her manager pigeon holed her into country music cause its the only genres that really is still selling.

So with the regards, I'm sure it is used by people to show some sort of badge that they are serious musicians cause they took a pilgrimage to the Nashville mecca. Just my two cents on the why, sure someone can give us both a history lesson on origins and such. Long nights

~Rich
We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;ó
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 09:58:51
    • Terra Firma
  • more
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

• Mar T.
  • Senior Site Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • Pay it forward! (watch that movie..)

• Today at 14:08:15
    • Duiven
    • http://twitter.com/MartiMediaSC http://www.facebook.com/MartiMedia http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEBmQkchurQ https://soundcloud.com/martimedia
  • more
I have an idea to the why, but no in depth specifics (which I am sure it goes back a long way history wise). Nashville was pretty much the country music mecca. There is a huge music industry there, recording studios, concert venues, etc. I think it goes back to elvis and even further, Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson. Back in the day you went to Nashville if you wanted to be a star/famous musician.

Thing of it is now with the pop song country music that is getting churned out regularly, there is no real feel to it. Nashville is notorious for owning the rights to songs, they just buy them from artists and composers, have literally libraries of songs. When your a decent singer, say a voice tv show star, they take you down there, show you ten songs and tell you to pick three. Then they record you, debut you, give you a cigar, and hope for some reason you will stand out amongst a million same.

I know a girl that was an excellent singer and contestant of one of those shows and that is exactly what happened to her. She has a lovely voice, but her manager pigeon holed her into country music cause its the only genres that really is still selling.

So with the regards, I'm sure it is used by people to show some sort of badge that they are serious musicians cause they took a pilgrimage to the Nashville mecca. Just my two cents on the why, sure someone can give us both a history lesson on origins and such. Long nights

~Rich

This.
Glad we're all free to create our own music these days using DAW's on our attics..  ;) ;) We're all important/we all matter!  ;) ;)

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 13:34:49
  • more
 ;D ;D ;D ;D great guys....and @Leonard Scaper ...listening carefully to the (lyrics on the) track from the Lovin Spoonful

really did answer my question

amazing....i didn't expect to get an answer

so who goes next  :o :o :o
to ask that one question...

about songwriting, you never dared to ask

and remember, you only get to ask one question  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Hey @Dutchbeat .... I have nothing to say about Nashville .... I mean @Bluedusksun and @Leonard Scaper really said it all. Furthermore I am so with @Mar T. about how "we are all important" that it's not even funny.
But this, this is similar and it is kind of funny: A friend who is a drummer.... well he and I both started out doing gigs at a young age. And all the time there would be these old timers who would see young musicians and they'd think [ robot voice here: ] "Young people alert, initiate intimidation sequence now" ....The would speak [ regular voice of a braggart] ".....blah, blah, this and that, I know this person and that person and even played with Tower of Power."
My buddy says, "Wow!!!!" while they nod in approval .... then he says "That really sucks!!!! You did all that and now you're stuck playing here, with us?!?!"   :D ;D  Ha,ha!!

okay here's my question:

What's the deal with mastering?

Why is it considered some kind of magical process? It's as though it is done by some mystical elves in an underground laboratory or something. :) It can only be done by professionals with special equipment?! Why?

There's even a youtube video saying something like "Master at Home? Don't do it!" .... And then the guy spends 20 minutes explaining to you why only professionals can do it...... heck I should make a video saying "Play guitar on your own tracks? Don't do it! Hire a pro!"  or "Sing on your own tracks? Don't do it!!!" ... the list goes on and on......

Why do people say this? We do everything else at this point? right?

Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
What's the deal with mastering?

I have always thought of mastering as the process of making your songs all work together on an album. Back in "the day" that is how songs were presented to the public and somebody had to take some time to make sure each song transitioned artistically into the next and that all of the songs were sonically similar. So....the mix engineer would make each song sound excellent on its own and then the mastering engineer would make them all into a cohesive album.

These days a mastering engineer is looked to for that final touch of "fairy dust" because he or she has "golden ears", an unbelievably perfect sounding room and incredibly expensive gear. I think the role of the mastering engineer has changed. Mastering in the 21st century is now more about making an individual song musically loud....loud enough to compete with other single songs. These days most of us are mixing in our computers with software plug-ins rather that hardware processors. Plug-ins are not considered by many to be the best way to get a song loud enough to compete on the radio without sounding a bit brittle.

A good ME, one who is truly and honestly invested in his or her craft, will take a good mix and run it through some very expensive gear in a very expensive room polish it using their very experienced ears. When you get the song back it will still sound like your song....only better.

I have never had a good mastering experience. The few times I have sent a song out it has come back sounding different and a lot louder. My personal philosophy....for home recordists like us....is to learn to mix very well. Learn about gain staging and make your songs loud enough slowly and carefully. Mix your song until it sounds excellent when compared to other songs you like and then release it as a demo. When the record label calls you.......they can send the song to their professional ME before they release it. If that ME is worth anything and you did your job well mixing, he or she may well say......I didn't have to do anything.

I master my own songs. But then I also cut my own hair.

8)

I've never been sure of mastering except that it seems to make the track a bit louder and maybe a little clearer. I've been using Landr to master my tracks for free - if you post directly to SoundCloud.

I think from one song to another, the sound level varies - on one song I have to turn up the volume only to be blasted out on the next one, so to me I think it smooths the sound from one song to another. I think if you were to self release an album or EP you would want that. Personally, I wouldn't spend money on it - there are so many out there who have found a way to make money on music without actuality making music.  ;D 

• Zedd
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef

• Today at 00:33:35
    • https://soundcloud.com/monnodb
  • more

I master my own songs. But then I also cut my own hair.

8)

That made me laugh... ;D ;D  Nice hair!  ;)

I am completely crap at what I perceive as mastering... And my tracks are NEVER loud enough.... well they're not as loud as others'...

K

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
;D ;D  Nice hair!  ;)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I do a lot better at mastering.....because I have more to work with.

8)

:D :D :D ha,ha!!!!! 

• monty_lameer
  • Patissier
  • Can't even boil an egg!

• August 07, 2018, 16:38:04
    • Surfers Paradise, Australia
    • http://twitter.com/hairburger
  • more
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 07:46:31 by monty_lameer »
HA! I LOVE IT!

(I cut my own hair too)  ::OSMAN::

"But never have I been a blue calm sea...I have always been a storm" - Stevie Nicks

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever. 😽

• LePlongeur
  • Chef de Partie
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Today at 14:20:30
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Am I witnessing a barbershop revival?
I brush my own teeth (except 4 times a year).
I guess you believe me without proof? Thatís nice.
Kind regards, Gus

• monty_lameer
  • Patissier
  • Can't even boil an egg!

• August 07, 2018, 16:38:04
    • Surfers Paradise, Australia
    • http://twitter.com/hairburger
  • more
Hey! Congratulations on brushing your own teeth! I do that too! Once a week! lol

• MrBouzouki
  • Chef de Partie
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• Yesterday at 21:15:49
    • Sheffield, UK
    • https://www.facebook.com/Mr.Bouzouki.Music/ https://www.youtube.com/user/MisterBouzouki https://soundcloud.com/mrbouzouki
  • more
Great thread @Dutchbeat  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

Well I think I have the ultimate songwriting topic ... and it has to do with "The Muse"  aka the one who gives us ideas for our songwriting.

The Muses, the inspirational goddesses of literature, science, and the arts in Greek mythology

When does "The Muse" strike for you ? Is it always somewhere awkward like in the middle of a date, or in the bath, or in a boring meeting at work ?
Does "The Muse" ever come to you when you sit down and want to write a song or is it, as I suspect, when you are doing something else and are most open to outside influences ?
How many times have you experienced "The one that got away moment" because you had no way to capture that killer idea ?

As a follow up question do you not believe in "The Muse", which is almost akin to not believing in Santa, but instead can just produce something on demand without any real inspiration needed ? 

"Love and Life is all about connections"

xx
Please place your golden oldies on here again..feel free!

Started by Dutchbeat on Life

1 Replies
Last post September 18, 2017, 00:30:28
by Bill from November Sound
xx
feel free to burn this to the ground

Started by Dutchbeat on Songs for review

10 Replies
Last post November 09, 2017, 12:41:02
by Roberto Cianchetta
xx
feel free to share your (best) Christmas Songwriting here