• What are they selling now?
  • Started by Bill from November Sound
What are they selling now?
on: August 13, 2018, 18:25:23
Hi everyone,

The home recording industry is a $ big money maker $ for some. You know: Waves, IK, M-Audio, Focusrite, The Recording Revolution, Produce Like a Pro, Production Advice ...... and all the others whether they copy or create their own niche.

I get a lot of the emails. You accidentally opt in because they are going to give you a free booklet that will change the way you make music forever  ::)

First it was plugins  - these plugins will make your music pro  :D

Next it was mixing - If you learn how to mix then you'll be successful. Plugins won't help. You need education!  8)

Then mastering - The magic happens in mastering. You need to send your music out .... no matter how bad it is....to this mastering engineer. Or, you can buy this step by step process to make your music sound phat!  :o

After that it was tracking -  Professional studios have it easy because their music sounds good while they record it. If you buy this tracking course all of your mixing woes will be over.  ;D

Now it's songwriting - If you post a song on social media and everyone ignores it that simply means your song sucks. If you buy this songwriting course then you will instantly make $$$ multi-million dollar $$$$ songs. So even if I live in the woods and have no friends a great song following this formula will somehow get me noticed?!? ???

And here's the new one that might be most interesting to kitcheners:

Now it's also community - They sell you access to a forum just like this. Well, first, they send you an email telling you how bad online music forums are ... you can't find any useful information, and egomaniacs are on forums just to cut others down a notch or two ... even if your music is good they'll pick it apart and say it is bad, you have to dig down real far to get any help or wisdom whatsoever.
So for the price of a cup of coffee each month you get access to a forum ... that looks remarkably like this one that we are on right here.  :o

I did the trial membership for a month.  :-\

Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 20:18:59
  • more
Re: What are they selling now?
Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 19:01:17
aaaah.....  @Bill from November Sound , they may try to make you very happy during the trial membership.....to get you on board for a longer subscription  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

let us know how the content and experience is  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

and please do stick around in the Kitchen!!!
(the only songwritersforum with a Michelin Star!) :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
me, myself, and Pie

Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 19:15:38
Oh no @Dutchbeat .... what I'm saying is I already tried it for a month and quit. I think the kitchen is better and I think they copy you.

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 20:37:04
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 19:47:34
Hey @Bill from November Sound .....for the price of a mere six pack of Budweiser a month I will personally review each and every song you post and tell you how amazingly good it is.  ;D ;D ;D

Seriously, though.....glad to hear we stack up well against that commercial venture.

8)
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 20:26:33
Actually if you want @Leonard Scaper .... I'll just bring you the Budweiser.  :D   I mean, what is it, a four hour drive or something? I can find it on sale at the grocery store. Totally worth it!  :D  ;D Ha,ha.

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• more
Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 20:12:03
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 21:22:07 by Dutchbeat »
 :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: hey @Mar T. ....  @wasser mit beer gesmack,  and @Jambrains ..... ;D ;D ;D ;D (where did @Wasser go?)

i want to report  C:-) C:-) C:-) that we apparently have  a member drinking..... Budweiser :o :o :o :o...among us  :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

@Leonard Scaper  :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

thank you @Bill from November Sound  ::thumb:: for bringing this to our attention

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 21:22:00
 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• more
Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 21:28:20
luckily it is not a Bud lite :P

and you seem to be very open about your problem...@Leonard Scaper ..but try to get a grip on it, ok?

Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 01:54:05
Gatoon!  :o  This thread is falling apart.  :)

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 14:25:10
My sincere apologies @Bill from November Sound for that derailment.

I, of course, blame @Dutchbeat

8)

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• more
Reply #10 on: August 15, 2018, 18:56:50
in my defense... @Leonard Scaper i think you brought up Budweiser....

but indeed....back on topic.... @Bill from November Sound , i was wondering whether there was some extra content and information on songwriting / mixing / recording or links or downloads that could explain why it was paid content? just curious....i mean, there may have been extras like being able to download sounds and samples, or other things?

anyway, i am glad you are still positive about the kitchen experience.....out here we have to make the content, usefulness and the kitchen experience together...but in fact.....trying to go out for sponsors.... like music software distributors... who would give kitchen members access to some downloads of sounds or fxs etc,  could be a future goal.....but i guess the forum needs to be really big (as in Huge even (the likes of which noone has seen before); to interest commercial parties  ::) ::) :P :P :P :P

and....Gatoon! back to you too  ;D ;D ;D

Reply #11 on: August 16, 2018, 04:50:45
So @Dutchbeat imagine someone who makes videos, sells classes, runs a blog teaching people how to record music.....this person has a massive email list and sends out an email saying, "online songwriting forums (like the kitchen?) SUCK! I have a good forum for you to join."
I tried it for a bit. It is basically a kitchen copy excerpt for 3 things they do better:
1. Profile page - click on person's name it goes to a photo, avatar, biography etc.
2. Live video/call in streaming sessions with professional producers once a month or something
3. Numbers = advertisers = prizes for song contests etc.  As people use up the free month numbers drop....

I'm also bothered by this new idea that writing a good song will get you noticed. Is this really true? So if you are unknown, have no friends, have no fans .... it just means your songs are terrible?   Good way to sell a songwriting course I guess.  :-\

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #12 on: August 16, 2018, 14:28:15
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 14:38:16 by Leonard Scaper »
I'm also bothered by this new idea that writing a good song will get you noticed. Is this really true? So if you are unknown, have no friends, have no fans .... it just means your songs are terrible?

I do agree...to a point...that if you are posting your material all over your social media and getting no positive responses then your material may be in need of improvement with regard to writing, performance and production. If our goal as songwriters is to gain recognition and "fame" then we do need to always be working on our skills in all of those areas because a well written song that is well performed and well produced will tend to grab folk's attention.

I have always said that to excel at anything you need three things:

Natural talent
Lots of practice
A good teacher

If any of those three are lacking you need to make up the difference with the others. In today's world there are a ton of regular people....like me, for instance...who are writing songs and putting out material that may well be less than stellar. A guy like say....me.....could likely benefit from some songwriting instruction if, once again, the goal is fame and recognition.

That creates a market for things like this.

Just sayin'......

EDIT:

Thinking further about what you said @Bill from November Sound ....I have put out songs that I knew were pretty well written and received lots of responses from my usual network. I have also put out songs that I knew were not so great but still had personal meaning to me (like my last effort, for instance) and those songs have received minimal attention. That does lend credence to the need to write good songs to get noticed.

Reply #13 on: August 17, 2018, 17:19:35
That's a really good point @Leonard Scaper !
It can be looked at from either direction, for sure ....kind of a chicken or an egg.

It's a heck of a way for the salesmen to prey on our insecurities as well. I might join .... but part of what they sell is a forum a lot like this......not sure if I can deal with multiple forums. I think I'd miss our conversations too much.  :) 

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• more
Reply #14 on: August 17, 2018, 18:23:39
 ;D ;D ;D ;D i am probably not the most objective person.....but i think it would be best  ;D ;D ;D ;D @Bill from November Sound that you focus on one songwriter forum....and i can highly recommend the Kitchen  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D