Author Topic: Your music goals  (Read 447 times)

Offline Vince

• Chef de Partie
  • Karma coins: 383
Your music goals
« on: February 11, 2018, 19:49:52 »
There are a lot of people from all over the world on this site writing and making music, I've been wondering how many of you do it professionally, or in other words try to make a living at it?

Do you play in a band, or a solo act. Do you just try to sell songs, or are you trying to make it as a singer-songwriter? I think in the olden days people use to tour to support record sales - how many people on this forum tour, or even play live?

Maybe even just a weekend warrior?

If you're just recording and selling songs for download - how do you go about it without playing live?

As for me I don't consider myself a "singer - songwriter" although I do wright and sing my own stuff, but I would never go out on my own (maybe in a band - but I don't think I'm quite good enough). My recordings are getting better, but still .... I hissss like a snake and a lot of other recording mistakes.

How does someone trying to make and sell a quality product and do serious art feel about people like me who crowd out the internet making it difficult for them to be heard over all the "noise"?

- if you have sold any songs to publishing companies has anyone recorded your song?

Thanks for any comments

Offline Leonard Scaper

• Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Karma coins: 901
  • Guest Chef
Re: Your music goals
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 20:44:59 »
I made a living at this....kind of....back in the 70's. I was in a three piece doing covers at the ski areas in northern Vermont. Those were good crowds too....always ready for more fun. I played my originals during the breaks.

Six years ago when I was between jobs and had a little money to burn I took my shot with Music XRay....pay to play with little real chance of success. I knew that going in but I took the shot anyway. I spent a couple hundred dollars submitting songs and got some good feedback, but the common thread was....you're stuff is just a bit too eccentric. I knew that going in as well.  8)

I write songs because I must. It keeps me sane.......well, almost. I have no real goals other than that.

:) :) :)
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

Offline MichaelA

• Chef de Partie
  • Karma coins: 273
  • Karma Hunter
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 21:25:27 »
you're stuff is just a bit too eccentric.

:) :) :)

Are you sure you are not British @Leonard Scaper;D Anyway, everyone knows you and @Nic are going to go Platinum this year!

As for me, I am a happy amateur. I have no plan or strategy about how I will become better known. I have no desire to play live anymore, like I did as a youngster - the only time I did earn any (modest) cash out of this. I just do this for fun nowadays and to challenge myself at getting better at a chosen skill. I leave my musical future to serendipity really. While I'm hoping some young, successful act will cover a song of mine sometime and make it popular, that will either happen or it won't - depending on the entirely accidental fall of the cards!  Whatever happens, I'm still having fun!  ;D
If you like novels with a musical theme, why not try 'Sixth Beatle - When Music Changed The World', easily found on Amazon and Google. It is amazing, although as the author I may be biased!

Offline Vince

• Chef de Partie
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 23:54:02 »
Well @Leonard Scaper  that would have been during the golden age of disco - did you guys have to play that stuff, and wear polyester??  Did you guys think about cutting demo's going into NYC?  I wouldn't even know where to begin, but I've never been fearless.

I think a lot of things happen by accident @MichaelA   I was reading that the Cranberries first album went absolutely nowhere, but some record executive saw them opening for another band MTV was just starting - the rest was history. But, if they didn't tour they would have never been seen ....

Me, I never really thought about doing this for a even a side job.   

Offline Mar T.

• Senior Site Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • Karma coins: 1600
  • Pay it forward! (watch that movie..)
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 01:08:41 »
Hey @Vince , thank you for this excellent post and those very good questions! They help us to understand each other's perspectives when it comes to motivation, and I'm a sucker for 'what drives us to do what we do'..

First of all I hope everybody creates music because it's so much fun/therapy to do.. It surely can help getting 'stuff' out of your system. Or to feel happy when you're in the mood to broadcast some good and happy vibes. Imo there is no 'quality' standard, as long as what you create is authentic. And I guess that's what identifies the more regular kitcheners around. They/we all create authentic material. Just because we love to create. Imo every creation is a form of art.
The fun thing is that from the listeners perspective there may be 'art' in my work, or in your work, or in any kitchener's work without the creater even 'knowing' that. 'Quality' is a very subjective 'thing' imo..
I reckon creators who found a way to broadcast authentic messages are understood best by the audience, no matter how. That's how it works for me, not generic truth for sure.

In the past my band played POP/ROCK covers live in the Dutch local scene (east of the Netherlands) and we had big fun. I quit some years ago.
I learned that encouraging music creation was one of my big drives, so apart from creating and sharing my own stuff I fell in love with the kitchen and I hope I contribute to organize this unique platform where likeminded people meet.

No way I have plans to earn a living from my creations. I just have fun creating them and share them with you now and then. Lately I've been creating more and more work as competition entries, because I love the fun. I have an album on Bandcamp however, containing some authentic songs.

I've never sent songs to the industry, just like you. I just love creating. And interacting with people who love creating as well.

Curious about other experiences, keep us posted kitcheners!!
Cheers!
:mart:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 01:25:07 by Mar T. »

Offline Leonard Scaper

• Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 01:43:08 »
Are you sure you are not British @Leonard Scaper ?

So.....I'm not British, that's true. There is, however, a healthy amount of Irish blood running in these veins.

Well @Leonard Scaper  that would have been during the golden age of disco - did you guys have to play that stuff, and wear polyester??

;D

Up there in the north country in the early 70's it was the golden age of James Taylor, Loggins and Messina and Pure Prairie League.  ;) I also occasionally sat in with a rocking blues band as the harp player. Those were glory days. Matches were lit.  8)

Offline Bill from November Sound

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 02:53:14 »
Hey @Vince ....and everyone! I want to add to this thread...but not too much ;)

Long story short: I worked a lot as a ringer ( sax..keys....wedding's, corporate, blues club, jazz club, dance club, etc... p/t in addition to my f/t job ...), Melissa did a lot, Will did a lot! Music going on all the time but not together.  :)   ???

Will got to high school and I realized that I'm missing his life. I ask why are we always doing all this separately?

We started playing together....just for fun at first.... eventually doing some little restaurants and stuff together. We do creatively arranged covers of modern music, classic jazz and if the right people are there to dance Melissa does a mean Madonna  :)

Now I love the original music, it seems to make some people happy and I don't really plan to ever make money with it. We sell a few CD's at gigs and I donate the money to whatever charity the event is affiliated with.  :)

Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

Offline redmando

• Poissonier
  • Karma coins: 85
  • It's the Bellmetal Banana Company
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 12:57:53 »
Why do I play music? - a question I have pondered occasionally but not answered in any way whatsoever. I have been playing mandolin for 45 years and guitar the same too I suppose (since I was 17). I began writing songs when I could play my first chords. None of this was done in public until my mid-thirties when I started playing in electric folk-rock bands - pub gigs at weekends. We got paid but that wasn't the aim - it was the rush of playing live and the joint creativity in putting together arrangements.

Now I still write songs, am learning the mountain dulcimer, teach and encourage others, record and produce. "Forward in all directions" is my motto - no specific goals, just a need to play, to learn and to create. Like all of you, I've got the music in me!
Working for the Bellmetal Banana Company

Online Dutchbeat

• MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • Karma coins: 1282
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 18:14:02 »
 ;D ;D ;D good questions @Vince
i am into this hobby, because i could never imagine a better hobby

i am amazed that not all people are songwriters or (re)mixers etc, because it is so much fun, and every songproject is different

it is just a great hobby, and in my opinion, much better than ...trying to run fast or long, or long and fast...with the aim of improving one's own time......or...spotting birds....with the aim of.....eeh....spotting birds.....
etc.
the results of this hobby, in my opinion, can be more surprising and interesting (for myself, that is) than in any other hobby
and, i find working on / with music tracks relaxing, it sort of makes me not think about other things when i am in a 'zone', i think that is the most rewarding thing of this hobby
I lost it...ages ago

Offline Vince

• Chef de Partie
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 22:08:44 »
I was hoping maybe to hear from someone who writes songs for a living..... with so many people I thought there might have been one or two.  Maybe it's like a restaurant owner feels when he hears of another restaurant opening across the street.

I guess that's why songs for review is kind of tricky.  There is two aspects it seems to me - the song itself and the performance. I'm not performance minded, but I do understand (maybe I'm wrong) that a song submitted to a music publisher has to be a pretty slick production in itself.

I've written very few songs within the accepted song structure - verse, chorus, M8 etc.... - but those without the accepted structure seem to be the ones I like best. When I vote in the competitions I try to pay more attention to the song itself, lyrics, structure, arrangement - does the melody fit? - even though I'm sure the performance affects my judgement. Or how else could a person who is not a singer or married to a great singer even stand a chance?

BTW @Dutchbeat   I've got the last verse for my song so I should be recording it while my wife (a total non-singer) is away on biz this week. You really have nothing to worry about from me - it's still yours to win or loose.

::phone::

Offline LePlongeur

• Rotisseur
  • Karma coins: 99
  • In Tartiflette we trust
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 09:11:31 »
A very interesting topic @Vince, thank you for dreaming it up and posting.

Iíve thought about it a couple of times, and this is what I come up with.

I make music since I was three years old. So frankly I canít remember what itís like not to do it.
Gradually more serious.
Somewhere in puberty I begun to write. Not very often though. Mostly for the band I was in.
We were told we were the first Dutch band on French TVís Button Rouge. They came with a lot of gear to an Amsterdam church (yes Mr. Joe Jackson eat your heart out, we were first) and recorded an hour long program.
Broadcasted it and erased the Ampex as was the usual way to treat the artist. And an indication of how expensive these tapes were.

Many of the songs I wrote were used by bands I was part of.

I stopped playing in bands when I was 23.
I started to write in ernest when I was 35 or so.
And did so with two or three people listening to a song now and then.
Untill I was 59 this was the situation. I kept writing, no matter if someone listened or not.
By then the kids were setting up a living of their own and I bought a hard disk recorder and switched from cassettes to digital.

Sometime later I joined a guitar forum and became part of MakeYourSongCount, a songwriters forum. Iíve published something like 30 songs and a couple of hundreds of lyrics.

So this is more or less how it came about. And this is the very indirect answer to the question of this topic.

I make music because I canít think of any other way of functioning.
I have several friends who write for a living. I think that as a rule they are more guarded about their writing. What I find remarkable is that they tend to get religious again if they write more than 40 songs in any given year. They go to church to thank for all this new found good fortune and I sometimes join them to thank for creativity in general.

I have no other reason for my writing other than to amuse myself.
And I donít need another reason. No one asks my friends who paint or hack away at stones why they do it.
Ballet? Can you think of a more grueling way to expression? I canít. And nobody ever asks about their motives.

Iím going to try and post an attachment for the first time here. In line with this topic. So if the whole thing explodes? Mea culpa.
Kind regards, Gus

« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 09:14:51 by LePlongeur »

Offline Vince

• Chef de Partie
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 16:15:02 »
Hi @LePlongeur    It's not so much as the why - that's been covered on this forum before and it's seems to boil down to we like it, it keeps us from going nuts (debatable  >:D) or we would explode.  I was hoping to get some insights from someone currently making a living at what it seems most of us do for a hobby.

These days even people like me for a couple of hundred American dollars can record a song and plaster it all over the internet. How does someone doing this to pay the rent feel about that? Trying to get heard over the billion of others every day? How do they even go about selling a song these days?

I've always been a fan of John Hyatt. Probably because he can't sing and uses the same 3 chords I do.  ;D The video does illustrate  that you have to be entertaining, going back to the days when troubadours would travel from town to town singing and bringing news. Even B. Dylan (if you find some stuff from the early '60s use to have some snappy patter and it even made sense.   

When I'm in Europe I love going to all the old churches. I light candles for parking spaces, my wife says I'm going to h*ll - but, at least I'll have a good parking space.

Vince

Offline Leonard Scaper

• Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 17:23:05 »
I make music because I canít think of any other way of functioning.

I'm right there with you, Gus.

And I'm very glad that you achieved a successful embedment as that was some VERY entertaining John Hyatt.

I've always been a fan of John Hyatt. Probably because he can't sing and uses the same 3 chords I do.

I think he threw a fourth chord in there, Vince....i'm going to have to try to learn that one.  ;)

Offline Lane

• Patissier
  • Karma coins: 35
  • Karma Hunter
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 21:26:54 »
Very interesting subject, lets you know a little bit about your neighbor here. Myself, I work a job where I`d see things I could never get out of my head. My middle daughter handed me a "puter and  taught me how to use it. started writing down all the little things I witnessed and it seemed to help. So I think I started to write lyric and play when I always had a little trouble, or a little joy. i guess thats a story that could fit most of Us ..heartache, heroes, hello there!....lol  no goals really, just like to write, and its all going to be around for my kids and theirs..
That I think is a common thought in most of Us too.   

Offline NoiseAlter

• Vegetable Chef
  • Karma coins: 32
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2018, 21:10:10 »
I've got a couple goals really I want to aim for:

Playing live at a venue is by far at top of my list
Eventually making a living doing what I love, although right now I think I'm taking baby steps.

xx
The Songs Of Angels --- Music by Jeff Falk, my newest music writer

Started by smajor on Songs for review

7 Replies
Last post April 29, 2018, 23:12:19
by smajor
xx
blending your music and kitchen gear together, let's make music in our kitchens!

Started by Dutchbeat on Life

1 Replies
Last post June 27, 2014, 20:28:23
by fischermans
xx
very bad timing...sorry, but i think music-less music videos can be funny

Started by Dutchbeat on Life

4 Replies
Last post June 19, 2016, 23:11:07
by Mark Luto
xx
Could this be the future of music?