• A Dorian Metal Improvisation \m/
  • Started by Kajetan Zduniak
A Dorian Metal Improvisation \m/
on: January 15, 2019, 01:15:55
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 22:37:33 by Kajetan Zduniak »
i want to post my trial of improvising in metal style hah
my metal guitar heroes are Dave Mustaine, Zakk Wylde and Dimebag Darrell
i want to mix emotional phrasing with brutal shred guys its my priority in metal improvising
i have been playing for 5 years and i am interested in improvisation for about 1,5 half year !
i need your feedback guys :) negative or possitive comments both are accepted

• Marcus Nalgaber

Re: A Dorian Metal Improvisation \m/
Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 01:31:08
I think you're starting the house by the roof  :no:
From my humble opinion I think you should start playing simpler and musical things and certainly without distortion
I understand that that is the music of your idols  ::e-guitar3:: and that you admire them, but those sounds are unpleasant and that in the long run can make you end up hating the guitar  :farewell:
You have to know that one thing is music and another thing is noise
Look for music and beauty through your guitar and you'll see how you appreciate it with time  ::thumb::

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Today at 03:58:49
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 10:42:23
Under my still to install avatar, thereís a text that says: in tartiflette we trust.
Tartiflette is a French dish that is made from potatoes and cheese, largely.

If youíd ask me what I like best for  dinner, itís tartiflette. Would I like tartiflette everyday?

Itís no different with music.
I like (or liked) dimebag too, buckethead etc. too.
But I like to listen too different things, so thereís more than enough time for some wilder things like you do. Specially the slower things you play I listened again.

Letís hear it for the noise!
Kind regards, Gus

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 10:29:46
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 13:09:05
I like a bit of noise at times and I definitely appreciate the skill involved in shredding it up like that. These old ears can't handle too much of that, though.  :no:

I also strongly agree with @Marcus Nalgaber about developing your playing skills independently of your need for distortion. The problem with all that distortion is that it really feels good when you are playing it and it is coursing through your whole body....but when you record you really need to back off on it because it usually doesn't record well and it can come across as very brittle to your listeners.

Don't stop, though. If this is your music, stay connected to it. Just listen to what some of us old guys are saying and maybe try some other approaches as well.

8)
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 12:39:50
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 13:09:34 by Kajetan Zduniak »
I like a bit of noise at times and I definitely appreciate the skill involved in shredding it up like that. These old ears can't handle too much of that, though.  :no:

I also strongly agree with @Marcus Nalgaber about developing your playing skills independently of your need for distortion. The problem with all that distortion is that it really feels good when you are playing it and it is coursing through your whole body....but when you record you really need to back off on it because it usually doesn't record well and it can come across as very brittle to your listeners.

Don't stop, though. If this is your music, stay connected to it. Just listen to what some of us old guys are saying and maybe try some other approaches as well.

8)
@Leonard Scaper Thank you very much ! of course i know that recording quality isnt on the highest level and that 6 minutest of it can be too much haha
of course i am interested in blues too i dont limit myself to playing metal only .
i am sure that the most important thing in playing like this is a balance between slower phrasing and shred!
i know that i have to practice more with rhythm and i am maybe an average player but u have to understand that phrasing in metal isnt really gentle and even slower parts will be played in a melancholy way :)
Kind regards, Kajetan

Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 13:01:31
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 13:09:55 by Kajetan Zduniak »
I think you're starting the house by the roof  :no:
From my humble opinion I think you should start playing simpler and musical things and certainly without distortion
I understand that that is the music of your idols  ::e-guitar3:: and that you admire them, but those sounds are unpleasant and that in the long run can make you end up hating the guitar  :farewell:
You have to know that one thing is music and another thing is noise
Look for music and beauty through your guitar and you'll see how you appreciate it with time  ::thumb::
Thank you @Marcus Nalgaber !
Firstly, in my opinion u are the person who doesnt really like metal haha
u have right that playing without distortion is really important because its hiding our playing mistakes
when i am playing guitar for 2 hours half of that time i am spending time for practicing with metronome without plugging guitar into amp :)
i dont limit myself to playing metal too if u want u can hear my jazz blues song on soundcloud and i think that u will like it more:
https://soundcloud.com/kajetan-zduniak/lavazza
u have to understand Marcus that metal phrasing will always be much different than your exotic jazzy style
it can be melancholic and noisy :) no matter how much u guys dont like metal i will never change my approach to playing metal because i am convinced that the most important thing in metal improvisation is having a balance between slower phrasing and brutal shred :)
Of course i see my mistakes in rhythm because thats the feature of a high level player playing with rhyth and having fun i hope that in the future i will reach that skill. Furthermore i know that distortion recorded on a phone when speakers are playing a backing track doesnt sound really nice it was one of films done by me for me because i think that its the best way to notice my own mistakes and to improve my techinc :)
Kind of regards,Kajetan

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 10:29:46
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 14:36:30
i dont limit myself to playing metal too if u want u can hear my jazz blues song on soundcloud and i think that u will like it more:
https://soundcloud.com/kajetan-zduniak/lavazza

I like this.....I'm glad you posted it.

Reply #7 on: January 19, 2019, 03:08:13
Nice work @Kajetan Zduniak !
I've said this before, I know, but I think you should start putting your videos public and build up your YouTube channel. I believe  you could gain an audience and new opportunities would become available to you.
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

Reply #8 on: January 19, 2019, 09:26:33
Nice work @Kajetan Zduniak !
I've said this before, I know, but I think you should start putting your videos public and build up your YouTube channel. I believe  you could gain an audience and new opportunities would become available to you.
@Bill from November Sound  thank you very much!
I dont think that soiloing without talking and having more intresting content would work well :)
At the moment i am the most into improvisation i have to practice beimg more melodic and building tense up :)
I would love to hear more tips about improvising because there  is so much
knowledge i want to have

• Marcus Nalgaber

Reply #9 on: January 19, 2019, 15:02:19
u have to understand Marcus that metal phrasing will always be much different than your exotic jazzy style

I think it was a big mistake on my part
The make some kind of criticism to your way of playing and use the distortion
I hope that from now on you never make any kind of case to the old guitarists like me
Regards and apologize for my comments  :lol:

Reply #10 on: January 19, 2019, 21:38:19

@Marcus Nalgaber  i always appreciate people with bigger experience than me and i am open for a criticism.i just wanted to explain that there is a difference between those two styles jazzy and metal.I am improvising in blues style too so i am impressed by your emotional phrasing !
Kind regards,Kajetan

xx
A minor metal improvisation on a guitar :)

Started by Kajetan Zduniak on Live performances

3 Replies
Last post October 08, 2018, 09:15:04
by LePlongeur
xx
A minor improvisation "Metal"

Started by Kajetan Zduniak on Live performances

2 Replies
Last post October 07, 2018, 15:24:50
by Kajetan Zduniak
xx
A Minor Blues Improvisation