• Jurgen
  • Sous Chef
  • Just strumming away

• March 03, 2020, 21:01:03
    • Sydney, Australia
  • more
Dead Man's Shirt
on: December 30, 2019, 04:36:23
hi - I hope everyone had a really good Christmas.

It's Summer down here and pretty hot.

My band Driving South played a gig at a local bowling club (right on the coast by the sea) the Sunday afternoon before Christmas.

This is video of our first song - my wife video'd it but didn't get the start and was still trying to position the camera once we'd got started so I've put a still image and then tried to use iMovie to remove the camera shake etc.

cheers

Re: Dead Man's Shirt
Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 13:38:55
Great to see this @Jurgen . Bringing your music to the masses.  :)
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 14:51:47
Whoa @Jurgen  ... before I tell you how good it is I'll, of course, need to ask some questions.
Firstly, Christmas is in the summer?! So it's still called December .... but it's the summer?
So songs like Winter Wonderland, Let it Snow, White Christmas  .... all completely foreign to you?
Next, who plays the clarinet?
Is this the open mic at the bowling club like you were talking about? (Maybe that explains the clarinet)

Now, cool song. I think the "deadman's shirt" is a very interesting concept as it is a combination of words that can work different ways. Your singing is sounding really good.

-11 ::Note::

Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

• Mo
  • Rotisseur

• October 21, 2020, 14:03:01
  • more
Reply #3 on: January 01, 2020, 23:41:37
Always a pleasure to watch a live performance @Jurgen  . Good sounding stuff and the audience seemed to like it also! :)

I wonder if there is a special reason to do that microphones that high?

Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 17:40:40
Hi @Jurgen ,

I hope you had a good Christmas/ New Year, it must feel so different to experience them in summer! ...This week we've just started getting cold weather over here i.e. 9-13 (which may still not be considered cold for most... but I'm freezing x) )... and you're making me miss summer!

.... It's really cool that you're doing these open mics! :D ..I liked how it started and the fact that the camera is still being adjusted in the beginning makes the recording feel more casual and friendly...Well done on the performance, you look very confident while singing and playing :) Thanks for sharing your video with us! 

Rachel
Rachel  ::Rachel::
https://.com/rachel_debattista

• Jurgen
  • Sous Chef
  • Just strumming away

• Sydney, Australia
  • more
Reply #5 on: January 03, 2020, 01:43:27
Whoa @Jurgen  ... before I tell you how good it is I'll, of course, need to ask some questions.
Firstly, Christmas is in the summer?! So it's still called December .... but it's the summer?
So songs like Winter Wonderland, Let it Snow, White Christmas  .... all completely foreign to you?
Next, who plays the clarinet?
Is this the open mic at the bowling club like you were talking about? (Maybe that explains the clarinet)

Yes it's Summer here @Bill from November Sound and very hot. Not sure if it's on the news in USA but the country is burning right now - everywhere is very dry and we're having worst fires ever with worse to come.

It's still December or rather it's now January and yes we have Christmas in the heat. I grew up in UK so I'm used to a "proper" Christmas and still can't get used to a hot one even though I've  been here over 20 years.

We still have fake snow and Christmas trees (mainly fake as real ones don't grow well here) and Santas dressed up full winter gear sweating in 40c+ temperatures.

As so many people here are from UK background - the traditional lunch was often turkey etc. but these days most people have seafood and head to the beach for a swim etc.

The clarinet is played by the bass player - he plays it on a couple of songs. I'll post a video of one of them soon as he sounds really good. He had a break of 20+ years playing it  but just took it up again.

Thanks for watching and listening!

cheers

• Jurgen
  • Sous Chef
  • Just strumming away

• Sydney, Australia
  • more
Reply #6 on: January 03, 2020, 01:45:40
and thanks @Rachel_D and @Mo for watching and commenting.

Yes it's so weird having Christmas in the heat and weirder still to see northern hemisphere traditions still pervading down here.

I didn't realise the mic was so high Mo - to be honest I really don't know what I'm doing with a mic or mic stand so not too sure how to adjust it properly!  ;D

cheers

Reply #7 on: January 04, 2020, 21:36:12
Nice groove @Jurgen the band sounds well balanced and  good dynamics between parts. Love the title! “Dead Man’s Shirt” it’s the reason I just HAD to check this post out.

Lyrics please?

Yes... the fires in Australia look horribly fiendish. Us Southern Californians can relate... these last few years the fires have grown in size, frequency and intensity. Also... we can no longer rely on them occurring only during “Fire Season” any month is as dangerous as the next...

Stay safe and persevere...

Reply #8 on: January 06, 2020, 02:59:34
Yes @Jurgen   … the Australian wild fires started to show up in our news a few days ago. That must mean it is really bad.  :(

I got to see your new video where he is playing clarinet as well. That's pretty cool!  :thumbsup:

There are so many ways you could've answered the question about microphone placement. I feel as though you missed a great opportunity …..  You should see how tall the other band is. Giants down here in Australia. Stage manager is a kangaroo. Microphone stands tend to grow in the heat. etc..   ;D  :lol:   

• Jurgen
  • Sous Chef
  • Just strumming away

• Sydney, Australia
  • more
Reply #9 on: January 07, 2020, 03:14:52
Hi @1roomstudio and @Bill from November Sound and thanks for comments on fires. They are very bad indeed, seems to be no end in sight and more very hot weather coming.

And yes, Bill - good thinking re: mic being so high. I should have given my answer a bit more thought!  :D

and here are the lyrics to Dead Man's Shirt...

Verse
There's a time and a place
And a place in time
Where its a good idea
To mix whisky and wine

And that's where I was
That's where I've been
Knocking them back
And causing a scene

My heads a rattle
Something's come loose
Throat dry as dry
Tied by a noose

Walking a street
I don't think I've been
Where the hell am I
Its like a bad dream
I'm

Chorus
In a dead mans shirt
And lady trousers
Feet soaked through
Its been raining for hours

In a dead man's
And lady trousers
Lady trousers

verse
It's happened before
I'll happen again
Don't know where
But I think I know when

Now I'm back where i started
Not where i should be
Catch my reflection
And realise that's me

chorus
In a dead mans shirt
And lady trousers
Feet soaked through
Its been raining for hours

In a dead man's
And lady trousers
Lady trousers

cheers!

Reply #10 on: January 17, 2020, 04:11:49
"Lady Trousers" ?   hmm....   ???     but not  "lady's trousers"   

• Jurgen
  • Sous Chef
  • Just strumming away

• Sydney, Australia
  • more
Reply #11 on: January 19, 2020, 23:38:06
You are right @Bill from November Sound - it should be "lady's trousers" - the words came from a story a friend of mine told me about the clothes he was wearing.

He had on a dead man's shirt (slightly too large for him) and a pair of lady's trousers - that I thought were a little too shiny. Him and his wife have a friend who lost a lot of weight and was throwing out that pair of trousers. My friend thought they'd fit him - which they did actually.

When he told me the story he called then "lady trousers" and that actually sounded better in the song when I sang it - so it stuck.

There's a disadvantage with wearing layd('s) trousers apparently - but I'll save that for another day  ;D

cheers

Reply #12 on: January 20, 2020, 00:56:37
well @Jurgen    ... guess there's only one way to find out     :lol: 

• LePlongeur
  • Executive Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Yesterday at 17:08:54
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #13 on: January 20, 2020, 09:38:13
You may remember that I was enthusiastically writing about your earlier driving south adventures.
I listened to this song shortly after posting , and I was a bit disappointed.
No lyrics and (I thought at that time) apparently no interest to engage me to your music. Maybe a native speaker can Braille listen (yes figure of speech, or an attempt to) his way through your lyrics, but I certainly can’t.

If the  backing is kept very simple, it’s no rocket science that the emphasis is on the lyrics.

I can understand the lure a mic offers to sing too close if the noise of the backing is deafening.
But it’s not the case here in my opinion. It’s open, small scale, not fuzzed, so what’s keeping you from keeping a decent distance from your microphone?

It ups your connection with the public too.

May I suggest you read ‘proximity effect’ ?

https://www.songwriter-forum-kitchen.com/forum/songwriting-ingredients/26/proximity-effect/5062/

And may I suggest you post your lyrics earlier? For instance the same time as you post your song.
A very easy way to win back a fan.
(Smiley).
Kind regards, Gus

Reply #14 on: January 21, 2020, 22:53:36
Come on @LePlongeur  ... give the guy a break!  :) He battled sweltering Australian summer heat, massive wild fires raging all around him, tasmainian devils, kangaroos and other scary creatures roaming the streets  .... and still he somehow managed to post the lyrics within three days of being asked to!  :praise:
Just give him another chance!  :yes:

Probably a good reminder for all of us to post lyrics if at all possible as soon as possible. This is an international forum with many for whom English is a second or third language.  :)

xx
Dead Man Walking

Started by Dave Bradley on Songs for review

7 Replies
Last post May 03, 2014, 16:57:16
by Dave Bradley
xx
Nic is back with a new t-shirt

Started by Nic on The kitchen café

7 Replies
Last post March 09, 2017, 20:05:29
by Zedd