• realkevm
  • Poissonier
  • Karma Hunter

• Today at 20:43:42
    • Hull, UK
  • more
'How Did You Know' (live at Jaz Bar, Hull, UK
on: July 12, 2018, 23:16:16
Hi guys, recorded last Sunday at a bar I play at sometimes. I've been playing live since the start of the year and maybe done about 12 gigs, two of which were festival slots. When I started I was unbelievably nervous and this ruined my first performances. I've since grown in confidence and my abilities and my performances have improved. I usually get to play around 30 mins. Anyhow, please have a little watch of my video and offer me any pointers, it would be appreciated. If you like what you see subscribe to my Youtube and i'll subscribe back to you.

• oorlab
  • Chef de Partie
  • savoir vivre

• January 16, 2019, 23:20:54
    • netherlands
    • https://twitter.com/oorlab https://soundcloud.com/oorlab
  • more
Re: 'How Did You Know' (live at Jaz Bar, Hull, UK
Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 10:36:34
sounds and looks good @realkevm  - subscribed.
Do you know the lyrics by heart?
recommending https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Music_Works "How music works", book by David Byrne.

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 22:00:21
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 11:05:46
During this performance you are deep into the song. Your eyes are closed and you are riding the energy of the music in a very personal way. Your audience will appreciate that....but as you gain even more confidence you might try to find ways to bring your audience into that experience. Look out at them and invite them in at times. They will appreciate that and it will lend even more power to more personally intimate parts of your performance when you are in your own space completely.

Find ways to make your lyrics more understandable through better enunciation or perhaps even slowing things down a bit.

You might also work on your performance dynamics a bit. I like that subtle thing you do when you step slightly away from the mic between phrases.....that little move brings some dynamic interest to the performance. I also like how you changed up the strumming pattern for a while. Try working more on mixing your vocals and playing better.....maybe back off a bit on the strumming volume during your verses. That will help get your lyrics across better.

Solo performing like that is a bold and empowering thing....good on you, man!!

8)
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• Jurgen
  • Sous Chef
  • Just strumming away

• September 09, 2018, 11:00:42
    • Sydney, Australia
    • http://twitter.com/thevegasnerves https://www.facebook.com/The-Vegas-Nerves-1139475662785359/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZK6VLB99W_fW0KAWTydY8Q https://soundcloud.com/butley-1
  • more
Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 11:45:16
hi @realkevm

Firstly well done for getting out there and performing. It must be really hard to do this on your own, just you and the guitar.

You look and sound pretty good.

I also wondered if you knew the lyrics as it looks like you're looking down to read them.

I agree with @Leonard Scaper comments as well - re: engaging with the audience and backing off a little with guitar at times. It's good to add some changes in volume, dynamics etc. when you play just to change things up and keep the audience listening. Especially when it's just you.

And yes, good on you, or as we say down here "good on ya"

cheers

• LePlongeur
  • Chef de Partie
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Today at 17:53:53
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 15:37:22
At approx 3 oíclock last night I listened to this post.
And I thought my response would be along the following lines:

If I were a young and gorgeous broad, and you wouldníteven look at me while you were doing your thing, would I be interested in dropping my knickers?

Because youíre not making me part of what is happening.
But then i remembered just in time that I was warned about this type of razor blade humor.
And I decided against posting it.
Remarkeble isnít it? Iím proud that I didnít @realkevm
And now, look what dr. subtle himself says about this.

@Leonard Scaper tells it far better than I could.he has a way with words to make the gods themselves jealous.
But cheers to your ballsy delivery!
Oops!
Kind regards, Gus

During this performance you are deep into the song. Your eyes are closed and you are riding the energy of the music in a very personal way. Your audience will appreciate that....but as you gain even more confidence you might try to find ways to bring your audience into that experience. Look out at them and invite them in at times. They will appreciate that and it will lend even more power to more personally intimate parts of your performance when you are in your own space completely.

Find ways to make your lyrics more understandable through better enunciation or perhaps even slowing things down a bit.

You might also work on your performance dynamics a bit. I like that subtle thing you do when you step slightly away from the mic between phrases.....that little move brings some dynamic interest to the performance. I also like how you changed up the strumming pattern for a while. Try working more on mixing your vocals and playing better.....maybe back off a bit on the strumming volume during your verses. That will help get your lyrics across better.

8)

• realkevm
  • Poissonier
  • Karma Hunter

• Hull, UK
  • more
Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 15:48:13
sounds and looks good @realkevm  - subscribed.
Do you know the lyrics by heart?
Thank you, i've subbed back )
Yeah I do, I must just look down a lot lol

• realkevm
  • Poissonier
  • Karma Hunter

• Hull, UK
  • more
Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 15:51:10

8)
Thank you Sir! Yeah I was playing it a bit fast so that doesn't help with the lyrics being clear I guess and I think at times I wasn't close enough to the mic as well. Thank you for the advice about inviting the audience in, definitely the kind of helpful feedback i'm looking for, I still get nervous so hopefully that side of my performance (eye contact) will improve as I gain in confidence up there. Thanks once again for taking the time to have a watch and to write me some great feedback.

• realkevm
  • Poissonier
  • Karma Hunter

• Hull, UK
  • more
Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 15:54:41
hi @realkevm

Firstly well done for getting out there and performing. It must be really hard to do this on your own, just you and the guitar.

You look and sound pretty good.

I also wondered if you knew the lyrics as it looks like you're looking down to read them.

I agree with @Leonard Scaper comments as well - re: engaging with the audience and backing off a little with guitar at times. It's good to add some changes in volume, dynamics etc. when you play just to change things up and keep the audience listening. Especially when it's just you.

And yes, good on you, or as we say down here "good on ya"

cheers
Thanks, it is quite nerve wracking but i'm growing in confidence. Yeah I know the lyrics I think I just look down a lot, the sheet of paper on the floor is just my setlist. From yours and other comments I can tell it's a noticeable thing I do so thank you, pointing that out to me is going to help me come across better in the future as i'll look up and look around the room more.

• realkevm
  • Poissonier
  • Karma Hunter

• Hull, UK
  • more
Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 15:56:05
At approx 3 oíclock last night I listened to this post.
And I thought my response would be along the following lines:

If I were a young and gorgeous broad, and you wouldníteven look at me while you were doing your thing, would I be interested in dropping my knickers?

Because youíre not making me part of what is happening.
But then i remembered just in time that I was warned about this type of razor blade humor.
And I decided against posting it.
Remarkeble isnít it? Iím proud that I didnít @realkevm
And now, look what dr. subtle himself says about this.

@Leonard Scaper tells it far better than I could.he has a way with words to make the gods themselves jealous.
But cheers to your ballsy delivery!
Oops!
Kind regards, Gus

8)
Point taken my friend. I'll be making eye contact with the broads in the future :)

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 21:44:21
  • more
Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 16:43:33
Hi @realkevm , very nice guitar strumming and good performance  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: great that you go for it, even when it is nervewrecking  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::
me, myself, and Pie

• realkevm
  • Poissonier
  • Karma Hunter

• Hull, UK
  • more
Reply #10 on: July 16, 2018, 20:18:42
Thanks Dutchbeat I really appreciate the kind words

Reply #11 on: July 17, 2018, 16:54:13
First of all .... @LePlongeur  ...OH MY!  :o     - ha,ha  :blackgrin:

Next .... Nice job @realkevm . That's not easy and you're doing great!

Finally .... I'm not offering pointers because, well ... I've been given stupid advice, unwanted and unnecessary stupid advice by ignorant people for a long, long time and it just never stops....never, never stops. It seems like at least once a week someone tells me I suck.  :( So now when someone actually wants advice I just kind of shy away from it. The kitcheners that have commented so far, well, they're all cool so you can listen to them.
I mean the video doesn't lie to you.... November Sound has subscribed to your channel from the first days .... keeping record of everything you do on video is a remarkable tool. Your VLOG, your live videos, your recorded tracks: You can see the growth! Also, you can see what you still need to work on. The cool thing about you is that you are working at it because you'd be surprised how many people don't. Be proud of what you've accomplished thus far!  :)

Good show, man!
- 11 ::Note::
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

• realkevm
  • Poissonier
  • Karma Hunter

• Hull, UK
  • more
Reply #12 on: July 17, 2018, 22:40:19
Hi Bill I hope you are keeping well :) I really appreciate your support and being with me on my journey :)
I enjoy your output as well and regularly visit your Youtube. I'm keeping going for eveeeeeeer

xx
Live at The Service Station, Hull (UK)

Started by realkevm on Live performances

6 Replies
Last post September 20, 2018, 18:50:50
by realkevm
xx
some bar steward has awarded me a smite

Started by Kafla on Life

8 Replies
Last post January 10, 2014, 18:59:16
by Dutchbeat