• Live Acoustic Set from last night *Critique Wanted*
  • Started by realkevm
  • realkevm
  • Rotisseur
  • Karma Hunter

• August 13, 2019, 22:48:59
    • Hull, UK
  • more
Hi, I played an acoustic set here last night, i'm not expecting anyone to watch the whole thing but if you wouldn't mind having a quick look and giving me any pointers particularly on my stage presence, confidence etc or indeed anything else. Thank you

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Yesterday at 23:16:46
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Re: Live Acoustic Set from last night *Critique Wanted*
Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 20:37:20
I wonder if it would benefit you to lower that mic a bit. I keep watching how you lower your head when you step back to play and then have to bring it way up like that to sing.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• realkevm
  • Rotisseur
  • Karma Hunter

• Hull, UK
  • more
Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 18:41:53
I do usually have the mic a bit lower just thought i'd leave it as it was this time, I don't know I quite liked it having to look up :)

Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 21:57:08
@realkevm , funny enough I played in front of people myself last night, only it was the first time I ever played in front of anyone. Where you seem to be confidant and aware of what you are doing, my mind said "I'll see you when this is over" - so there is a lot to be said about being well rehearsed which you were (i evidently was too, and didn't forget any words and stuff, but I don't remember much of the performance)

The sound on your video is surprisingly good , one thing I could maybe suggest, since your asking - (based on my one performing experience from last night  ;D) is maybe a little more banter between the songs. Folk singers like John Prine,  Arlo Gutherie, Donovan etc kind of draw their audience in by saying a little something about the song that their going to play.  Just a thought though.

I'm sure the people there had a good time.

Vince

• Rachel_D
  • Chef de Partie
  • Music is what feelings sound like

• August 08, 2019, 20:12:52
    • Malta
    • http://twitter.com/Poem_Songs http://www.facebook.com/Rachel-Debattista-songwriter-642125792519786 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu_8BnQ3qqk https://soundcloud.com/rachel_debattista
  • more
Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 22:59:20
@realkevm  - I was just about to tell you about the mic level too, when I noticed that @Leonard Scaper already pointed it out.... It does feel a tad too high.

These are some of my other thoughts that crossed my mind while watching (I'm just commenting as an ordinary spectator here):

- Regarding stage presence, I think that you have good presence especially when you're playing the longer guitar parts.
- In the parts where you're singing the short verses, you tend to shift a bit backward right after each line. I think it would help if you don't shift as frequently during these parts (such as 4.23-4.26). Nevertheless, for the longer guitar parts it looks good that you move a bit and use the rest of the stage.
- You could perhaps try to increase contact/interaction with the audience (without overdoing it) e.g. when presenting your next song, it would be nice if you looked more at the audience and increase eye contact with all viewers (sort of look 180 degrees to face everyone and make them feel that you're speaking to all of them).
Y- ou could also have more varied song repertoire so as to increase interest and have certain songs stand out more than others. e.g. have slower songs that could show off more your vocal before going onto the more upbeat songs and/or make use of varied strumming patterns for different songs.... I think these could help retain the attention of the listeners.
Rachel  ::Rachel::
https://.com/rachel_debattista

• realkevm
  • Rotisseur
  • Karma Hunter

• Hull, UK
  • more
Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 10:00:49
@realkevm , funny enough I played in front of people myself last night, only it was the first time I ever played in front of anyone. Where you seem to be confidant and aware of what you are doing, my mind said "I'll see you when this is over" - so there is a lot to be said about being well rehearsed which you were (i evidently was too, and didn't forget any words and stuff, but I don't remember much of the performance)

The sound on your video is surprisingly good , one thing I could maybe suggest, since your asking - (based on my one performing experience from last night  ;D) is maybe a little more banter between the songs. Folk singers like John Prine,  Arlo Gutherie, Donovan etc kind of draw their audience in by saying a little something about the song that their going to play.  Just a thought though.

I'm sure the people there had a good time.

Vince
Nice one Vince! It gets quite nerve wracking doesn't it? I've only been playing live around a year, my first few gigs I was so nervous and as you experienced it all seemed to go by in a blur! It's cool you got by with no mistakes though, i'm a nightmare for forgetting lyrics (again nerves) thanks for checking the video out, lack of banter between songs is a confidence thing but I need to do it don't I. Thank you for pointing it out to me :) Good luck with your music, do you have a youtube or soundcloud I can hear your stuff?

• realkevm
  • Rotisseur
  • Karma Hunter

• Hull, UK
  • more
Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 10:04:12
@realkevm  - I was just about to tell you about the mic level too, when I noticed that @Leonard Scaper already pointed it out.... It does feel a tad too high.

These are some of my other thoughts that crossed my mind while watching (I'm just commenting as an ordinary spectator here):

- Regarding stage presence, I think that you have good presence especially when you're playing the longer guitar parts.
- In the parts where you're singing the short verses, you tend to shift a bit backward right after each line. I think it would help if you don't shift as frequently during these parts (such as 4.23-4.26). Nevertheless, for the longer guitar parts it looks good that you move a bit and use the rest of the stage.
- You could perhaps try to increase contact/interaction with the audience (without overdoing it) e.g. when presenting your next song, it would be nice if you looked more at the audience and increase eye contact with all viewers (sort of look 180 degrees to face everyone and make them feel that you're speaking to all of them).
Y- ou could also have more varied song repertoire so as to increase interest and have certain songs stand out more than others. e.g. have slower songs that could show off more your vocal before going onto the more upbeat songs and/or make use of varied strumming patterns for different songs.... I think these could help retain the attention of the listeners.
Thanks Rachel for having a watch, some good points there :) I do have a bad habit of leaving the mic and heading back to it between each line don't I? Something I need to shake off or do sparingly. Definitely need to have more audience interaction i'm going to make that my aim for when I play live going forward. I could also vary my set a bit I guess a lot of my songs are at a similar tempo. Thank you again for watching giving me some great feedback it'd been a help :)

Reply #7 on: January 19, 2019, 02:56:08
Hey @realkevm .... nice job.

1. Your pitch (singing) has greatly improved. I can tell you are working on it!

2. By yourself with just a mic and guitar seems so nerve wracking  ... I wish I could do that, really. I admire your confidence.

3. You are very fortunate to have venues like that and to get gigs in venues like that. It is very impressive and I have to admit I'm pretty jealous ....

No pointers from me really.  You already got some good ones and you seem to know what to work on.
When you do a gig there are multiple acts performing? You do a set and then another act goes on, yes?   

Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

Reply #8 on: January 19, 2019, 23:01:08
in my opinion u are really good guitarist but u should practice high notes while singing :)
you can definitely notice that u cant reach those notes
i really like arrangement of performance

• realkevm
  • Rotisseur
  • Karma Hunter

• Hull, UK
  • more
Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 08:23:57
Hey @realkevm .... nice job.

1. Your pitch (singing) has greatly improved. I can tell you are working on it!

2. By yourself with just a mic and guitar seems so nerve wracking  ... I wish I could do that, really. I admire your confidence.

3. You are very fortunate to have venues like that and to get gigs in venues like that. It is very impressive and I have to admit I'm pretty jealous ....

No pointers from me really.  You already got some good ones and you seem to know what to work on.
When you do a gig there are multiple acts performing? You do a set and then another act goes on, yes?
Hi Bill, I hope you're well, good luck with your upcoming gig :)
Thanks i'm getting there very slowly with my voice but at least there's been an improvement lol, yeah it can be really nerve wracking but these past few shows i've jsut gone for it and felt very confident, it really helps me in my performance I think

• realkevm
  • Rotisseur
  • Karma Hunter

• Hull, UK
  • more
Reply #10 on: January 21, 2019, 08:24:40
in my opinion u are really good guitarist but u should practice high notes while singing :)
you can definitely notice that u cant reach those notes
i really like arrangement of performance
Thanks mate, yeah it's something i'm working on :)

• Marcus Nalgaber

Reply #11 on: January 21, 2019, 12:55:34
Playing live is always something complicated
I have been playing live since I was 17 and now I am 66 years old and my conclusion is that the public is an entity that we have to master in some way.
My main advice is that you do not go out to play without sitting in a chair.
Be very important on stage
And I also think that you should play the rhythms with your guitar in a much quieter way
I wish you the best in your career and do not forget that on stage you are the one who should always send  ::thumb::

Reply #12 on: January 22, 2019, 00:02:27
Playing live is always something complicated
I have been playing live since I was 17 and now I am 66 years old and my conclusion is that the public is an entity that we have to master in some way.
My main advice is that you do not go out to play without sitting in a chair.
Be very important on stage
And I also think that you should play the rhythms with your guitar in a much quieter way
I wish you the best in your career and do not forget that on stage you are the one who should always send  ::thumb::

Interesting this only play live while sitting in a chair thing ..... ???  Hmm... I hadn't thought of this much...

Ya know @realkevm  and @Marcus Nalgaber  ,if one is to go that route, I say really do it up!  :) A big puffy recliner or something like this:

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Yesterday at 23:16:46
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #13 on: January 22, 2019, 12:29:29
Interesting this only play live while sitting in a chair thing ..... ???  Hmm...

I have also been pondering this and going back in time to my own performance days. I agree with @Marcus Nalgaber about using a chair for solo performing if the music style is more intimate and cerebral. My solo performing, such as it was, was always done from a chair as I felt that I could best project my feelings to the audience from that more controlled position. That also kept my guitar in the right spot (that was back when an acoustic was always mic'd up) and my microphone position constant.

With the band...well, that's different.

That said, I like how you move around on the stage @realkevm ....I see it as an integral part of your stage persona. You just need to fine tune it a bit.

• realkevm
  • Rotisseur
  • Karma Hunter

• Hull, UK
  • more
Reply #14 on: January 22, 2019, 20:04:16
Thanks Marcus, Bill, Leo - I do sit down sometimes depending if the show is a bit smaller or more intimate. I think i do a better show if i'm standing up and moving about a bit.

xx
Live acoustic set from last night

Started by realkevm on Live performances

2 Replies
Last post July 04, 2019, 10:51:25
by realkevm
xx
Live set from the 2019 Springboard Festival

Started by realkevm on Live performances

3 Replies
Last post May 28, 2019, 00:07:34
by realkevm