• Jurgen
  • Sous Chef
  • Just strumming away

• March 03, 2020, 21:01:03
    • Sydney, Australia
  • more
neo-soul noodling
on: November 12, 2016, 04:54:07
It's very hot and humid here in Sydney - it's still Spring here but it's starting to warm up (32c). Too hot to be outside so I came in and started to play around with some chords that may form a song idea.

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 09:34:44
  • more
Re: neo-soul noodling
Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 15:39:30
what a nice sound your guitar has....a very recognizable @jurgen sound

(if you would be in for some collab, just let me know  ;D ;D ;D ;D)
me, myself, and Pie

• Mar T.
  • Senior Site Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • Pay it forward! (watch that movie..)

• Today at 02:37:06
    • Duiven
    • http://twitter.com/MartiMediaSC http://www.facebook.com/MartiMedia http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEBmQkchurQ https://soundcloud.com/martimedia
  • more
Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 04:10:46
Ow yes I love your guitar sound @jurgen !! You've captured your style so well here... Sound-wise and technique-wise.. Fantastic! Since we only have one hit-single on Spotify we'd definately cooperate in 2017 to create another beauty! ;-) Thanks for sharing mate!
:mart:
I'm proud of this track, check it out! https://soundcloud.com/martimedia/dreams

• Jurgen
  • Sous Chef
  • Just strumming away

• Sydney, Australia
  • more
Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 09:22:27
Thanks for watching @Dutchbeat and @Mar T. - when I watch it I can see where I could have been tighter and more precise but then I realise that that's how I play. A little bit sloppy and loose and each time if different.

I actually had these chords on keyboards - I bought a basic keyboard a couple of weeks ago to try and learn (I've never played piano) and I'm enjoying it. I actually played the piano parts on my song Flag In Your Hand - just basic chords progression but I felt a lot of satisfaction doing this rather than trying to find some loops.

I can play these chords on the piano (not as well as DB of course!) so I thought I'd do something with the guitar to accompany the piano chords.

But I would like to do a big collab with you guys - work on a song together. Things start to quieten down work wise in December and especially January (middle of our Summer) so I'll see if I can come up with an idea and share it you both - or if either of you have anything let me know.

No rush of course - I'm slowly learning to be patient!

cheers

Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 19:14:30
Hi @Jurgen , I must agree with @Dutchbeat : very recognizable Jurgen sound (which I really like). As a guitarist I have a question - what kind of strings do you use?

• Jurgen
  • Sous Chef
  • Just strumming away

• Sydney, Australia
  • more
Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 08:02:01
Thanks @dr_Shad - re: the strings - I've recently put on Elixir 11s.

I went a year without changing strings and it makes such a difference playing with new ones.

How often do you change them?

Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 13:36:20
Re @Jurgen : They say that you should change strings when their sound changes  ;). For example if you look on the wound strings and there is visible dirt in the winding it's time to throw them away. I as an occasional guitarist change them after a year or so. But after the year they sound badly.

Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 22:06:27
This sounds beautiful @Jurgen :)

Öeverytime I watch a band play live my gaze always falls on the guitarist's hands Ė I find it amazing. (I used to play the guitar for a very short time when I was younger, however, I was only taught the very basic chords and never really delved into fingering. And I find it really fascinating when I see guitarists play that way because I can appreciate that itís not as easy as it looks. And itís impressive how it almost becomes second nature to them.) And as a non-guitarist it was great to get to see you playing and be able to link the playing with the sound :)

I think this could make a great song!... and Iím looking forward to your next song :) ÖAh and itís great to read that you got a keyboard too Ė and that you can start playing your own loops :)
Rachel  ::Rachel::
https://.com/rachel_debattista

• Jurgen
  • Sous Chef
  • Just strumming away

• Sydney, Australia
  • more
Reply #8 on: November 16, 2016, 22:03:03
Hi @Rachel_D - thanks for your comments and yes I think that could be a song - with added keys  ;D

It's funny what you say about guitarists - I feel the same way when I see someone playing the keyboards.

The frustrating thing is that there's no getting away from basic practice if you want to get somewhere with an instrument. So I need to learn the chords I want on keys and spend time practicing them. Still it's fun to play and I wish I'd learned years ago. Suddenly all the theory I keep hearing and reading about is starting to make sense i.e. what's a 7th etc. Much easier to see what it is on a keyboard.

cheers

Reply #9 on: November 16, 2016, 22:16:13
True - theory is much easier to visualise on a keyboard. (...You brought something to mind as I read what you wrote: At times - strange as it may sound, I imagine that I'm drawing patterns on the keyboard when playing :) and occasionally I even remember songs by recalling their visual patterns. It's really interesting.. )

Reply #10 on: November 17, 2016, 14:58:00
Hi @Jurgen I Always enjoy watching videos. Nice noodling - I'm a desert rat at heart so I love the dry heat. It's also good for my fingers.

V

Reply #11 on: December 04, 2016, 10:54:33
Great sound @Jurgen

I instantly recognise this sound now as "Jurgen".  ::thumb::

• Jurgen
  • Sous Chef
  • Just strumming away

• Sydney, Australia
  • more