• Overdrive?
  • Started by Mo
  • Mo
  • Rotisseur

• October 28, 2020, 11:22:53
  • more
Overdrive?
on: October 14, 2020, 19:54:14
Dear friends, i need to cry on your shoulders.
I want tell you about my recently experience with try to do a little step out of homerecording into the world of live music.
I felt i get dragged to collect more experience with live singing as I choosed and still want focus vocal as my main instrument. i lgot some contact to an interesting band that is in need for a singer since a couple of month. All was fine, cool guys, very cool music kind of desert rock till hard rock origin songs. Before they invited me to their rehearsal we exchanged tracks and ideas in advance and they said they liked much what i did when singing my ideas over their songs.

All nice and  we all happy so far. But when i joined their rehearsal it hits me totally cold when tried to do the vocals. There was no chance to get through  the music with my voice. Absolutley ZERO.  Ok, it was a small room and they played really load. But it wasn't my first attempt to sing in a band where this wasn't a kind of problem rather. Not like that .  I rather  considerd my voice could be strong until this experience.
Well at the end we all agreed that this make no sense. They said it would urgent need to sing in the overdrive modus and we went our ways.

I want ask you and I'm sorry if this is a silly question but do you think either, when sing rock live it only works with overdirve? Do i need face and accept that as my reality with this kind of attempts? Should i forget that if i don't want only sing in overdrive modus? It made me totally doubt myself again and doubt at the sense in a whole. I'm not an instrumentalist, I never will be able to do music just by own in the way i REALLY want and  like it.

Re: Overdrive?
Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 04:21:50
HI @Mo

I don't know if I understand your use of "overdrive" here.

Anyway, anybody who gigs out live has had these bad auditions. It's happened to me plenty of times. It's happened to Melissa. It happens to Will.

BUT the type of audition you're describing is exceptionally awful. People who blast the guitars out full bore even during a rehearsal, even in a small room, even when they have a guest singer, even when they should be trying to hear what the singer can actually do .... I mean this is bad.   :(  I've seen this. Full sound system blaring out in a small room so everyone can keep turning up so they can "hear themselves"  >:(   
No practice amps?
No smaller rehearsal sound system?
No turning down so they can hear the new singer?

Forget about it. You're not the problem!   

This stuff will get in your head. " What I don't sing loud enough?" ... No one does when the jerks are blasting the 3khz on the guitar amp "What I sing out of tune?" ... anyone would in that situation with giant speaker and amps pointing at you. Check out some of Amy Lee's live outdoor performances when she has big monitors blasting at her ears.... not good.

Seriously, you'll do bigger and better things. You don't want to perform with that group.

I've seen this happen to some of the best singers/ musicians I know. I won't go into specifics but happy to DM if you want.
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

• LePlongeur
  • Executive Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Yesterday at 15:29:05
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 06:51:36
I agree with @Bill from November Sound
A Norwegian lady sang (in a love song):
If I want rejection
I'd audition

I'd like to see you blast away on a stage with chirurgical mouth/nose protection and a plexieglass splatter screen.
Maybe this is not the best time to get started?

You are not the problem. Let them go deaf for a hobby.
We're still with you @Mo
Keep the faith.
Kind regards, Gus

• Mo
  • Rotisseur

• October 28, 2020, 11:22:53
  • more
Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 11:20:01
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 11:21:48 by Mo »
Thank you very much @Bill from November Sound  and @LePlongeur  for your response! It helps me more to judge the situation as they indeed made me believe, problem is with me.
The guitarrist does the example to shout loud into the micro to perform me, he was able to get throught the set up with his voice. Btw Bill 'overdrive'  is a word to describe one of  four singing techniques: neutral, curbing, overdrive and edge. While you roughly could describe 'overdrive' as shouting and is one of two 'Metall' mode and 'edge' is near to screaming  ::)  and  the second Metall mode....
Well however.... I didn't knew that either... before.... My slightly attempt, i did twice same evening and  day after, to suggest turn down the volume a bit was like i had suggest to change their confession of religion in an insulting way. I didn't expected that and wasn't prepared for that. The communication between us the time before was really good.

Just one word to the stage protection Gus. This wasn't an attempt tp perform on stage. It was a trial to jam live with other musicians at same time at same place at same song, after i realized how different the pairs of shoes really are. Name it home recording versus live jamming. So the time was just fine to me give it a try.

I don want to be miMOsa here but i think i still will need a few days more to get over this but i will be back soon  ;) and then i look forward  to continue with some  kitchen topics again  :ok:

Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 16:10:13
This not what I expected from the topic heading haha. I have had the same experience.

Its is NOTHING and I mean NOTHING to do with your vocals. Its the volume levels. You need to turn up the PA and turn down other interments. Vocals should be the loudest. Many band struggle with this. Just practise as you would live because you will defo be able to hear them there .

Its all volume you need to get it right