• Sous Chef
  • Just strumming away

• March 03, 2020, 21:01:03
    • Sydney, Australia
  • more
Two - Ryan Adams Cover
on: February 15, 2020, 04:12:02
g'day,

My band Driving South play originals but we do have one cover we play.

It's a Ryan Adams song that I've always liked and we do it a little differently from the original.

He's not had good press recently and he's fallen from grace due to his behaviour and for a long time we only played this at rehearsals, but we've just recently tried it live.

@LePlongeur - I've just watched this and I'm still too close to that mic! But I am working on it - I think I hide behind it a bit...

Btw - I won't be in the kitchen much from next week for a couple of weeks. I'm off to USA (Raleigh) and will be playing at a gig  being put together for a long term friend of mine Neil (from school days) who passed away last year.

There's a big music community in Raleigh and he had a lot of friends in various bands who are putting on a gig for him. People travelling from UK and me from Sydney.

It will be a special few days while we remember Neil.

Lots of sadness I'm sure but there'll also be lots of good memories of our time with him and a lot of music.

Wish me luck playing on a night with a lot of great bands and performers.

cheers

• LePlongeur
  • Executive Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Yesterday at 19:53:22
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Re: Two - Ryan Adams Cover
Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 08:55:14
I like it that you post your posts (....).
And imperfect as those recordings may be, there’s a lot to be learned from the barren way a primitive recording sounds.

John mellencamp recorded an LP or cd  with just one very good microphone. And there’s a lot to be said for that I think. It teaches us to think about our playing. And that was how the other discussion was meant. If you are aware of proximity, you can turn that to your advantage.

The sound the audience hears is important. I like the clarity and simplicity of your band.
Keep on keepin’ on, said Curtis Mayfield.
Kind regards, Gus

Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 22:56:22
@Jurgen  - very cool.. you look very comfortable up there and sound great! Love the 3-piece and gotta love the female drummer-backing vocalist! Very impressed and you look like you're enjoying it which always adds I think to the performance..

Good luck on your US trip. Hard hard hard to do that but a lovely thing to do.. Life is a bitch sometimes but it's so lovely to hear of such a lovely way to honour your friend..

K

Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 14:38:51
Nice cover @Jurgen ! You all sound like the band is starting to "gel" a bit more and develop a cohesive sound. A good performance.
Sorry about your friend. I was in a similar situation a few months back. :(
So close .... you're coming to the USA ..... and yet so far ...... you're about 700 miles away from me.  :)
No New York or Boston while you're here? That's where I am.  :) 
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

• Jurgen
  • Sous Chef
  • Just strumming away

• Sydney, Australia
  • more
Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 20:57:53
I like it that you post your posts (....).
And imperfect as those recordings may be, there’s a lot to be learned from the barren way a primitive recording sounds.

John mellencamp recorded an LP or cd  with just one very good microphone. And there’s a lot to be said for that I think. It teaches us to think about our playing. And that was how the other discussion was meant. If you are aware of proximity, you can turn that to your advantage.

The sound the audience hears is important. I like the clarity and simplicity of your band.
Keep on keepin’ on, said Curtis Mayfield.
Kind regards, Gus

Thanks Gus ( @LePlongeur ) - I do like a basic recording and playing style. A few people have mentioned that my band has a lot of "space" - I think that's a compliment in that we're not trying to make too much constant noise. Not that there's anything wrong with that with some forms of music.

btw - I'm also really interested in one mic recording. I've seen that Mellencamp video and also others. This is a good series on how to do it

• Jurgen
  • Sous Chef
  • Just strumming away

• Sydney, Australia
  • more
Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 21:01:03
Thanks Karen ( @Zedd ) and Bill ( @Bill from November Sound ) - it was a great event (we got back a couple of days ago).

Very emotional as you can imagine and I got to play a few songs with a great band that we put together - one quick rehearsal and 5 songs.

I we did think about going to New York Bill - but ended up going to Nashville as it was on the way home. Saw so much live music in Nashville including at the famous Bluebird Cafe.

Just missed the terrible tornado that I've just heard news about...

cheers

xx
2018 Cover Challenge - Revival choir ~ Make you a room cover

Started by Bluedusksun on Songs for review

16 Replies
Last post September 05, 2018, 01:32:41
by Bluedusksun
xx
Cover Challenge 2018 - 6 4 Six Against (cover on @Dakoda song)

Started by Layerson on Songs for review

13 Replies
Last post September 06, 2018, 21:39:06
by man of simple pleasures
xx
Silver Lining - Marcus JB cover - Cover Comp

Started by revivalchoir on Songs for review

18 Replies
Last post July 16, 2017, 01:40:47
by Mar T.
smiley
A cover :) ...