• Monty Cash Music
  • Rotisseur

• October 26, 2020, 01:52:00
    • inside the atomic fabric of a page, only when it is turning
  • more
Virtual Busking by Monty
on: March 05, 2020, 07:20:47
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 07:59:32 by Monty Cash Music »
So I started a thing on Steemit last year called 'Virtual Busking'!

Now that I'm back in Australia and getting my studio up and running, I'm back into it again. It's an alternative to playing on the street and you earn crypto!

Excuse my absence from the forum, I've been busy finding a house, getting a job and aligning my mind with my new reality.

So here is my next performance for this!

It's an improv in 6/8 in G Dorian.

Enjoy! By the way, I like real critical feedback, I'm still getting better and better and it's great when people tell it how it is!

So outside of you maybe needing someone to vent your anger onto ( :lol: ), critical feedback is welcome! Thank you so much in advance!

Find updates on my travels and music on http://peakd.com/@montycashmusic

• Michael
  • Rotisseur
  • Music Addict

• October 24, 2020, 21:50:27
    • Switzerland
    • https://soundcloud.com/michaelheider
  • more
Re: Virtual Busking
Reply #1 on: March 05, 2020, 09:08:43
I have nothing but admiration for live performances, and improvs in particular. So cool what you can come up with spontaneously!

Went into this without knowing what to expect. (Although I did have to google 'Dorian scales' first - had never heard of them before!) At first I thought that you were doing some warm-up playing on the violin, it took me a moment to realize that there is a loop-pedal involved! Never seen anyone use a pedal in this way with multiple instruments, but the result is very, very cool.

When the vocals came in, I thought at first that this part doesn't really work for me. Only to completely change my mind when you sang harmonies to your own vocals, which sounded brilliant!  :)

The guitar licks sound great, I noticed that you managed to make even a familiar instrument like a guitar sound much more exotic through some clever slides and playing technique (3:50-4:05).
My favourite bit of the whole session is probably towards the end starting around 9:45, with several violin voiced creating a very cool soundscape. Generally I love those violin bits when you slide from one note to another, I am sure there is a much more accurate musical term for that though  :D
Always wanted to learn violin or cello, but I fear that those are the kind of instruments that are very hard to learn without proper lessons and a lot of dedication...

All in all I really dig the (to my ears) foreign and exotic sound of the whole piece, and I suspect that effect stems from this Dorian scale. This style of music would probably go very well with some movies scores!

• Monty Cash Music
  • Rotisseur

• more
Reply #2 on: March 05, 2020, 10:48:52
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 10:55:06 by Monty Cash Music »
I have nothing but admiration for live performances, and improvs in particular. So cool what you can come up with spontaneously!

Went into this without knowing what to expect. (Although I did have to google 'Dorian scales' first - had never heard of them before!) At first I thought that you were doing some warm-up playing on the violin, it took me a moment to realize that there is a loop-pedal involved! Never seen anyone use a pedal in this way with multiple instruments, but the result is very, very cool.

When the vocals came in, I thought at first that this part doesn't really work for me. Only to completely change my mind when you sang harmonies to your own vocals, which sounded brilliant!  :)

The guitar licks sound great, I noticed that you managed to make even a familiar instrument like a guitar sound much more exotic through some clever slides and playing technique (3:50-4:05).
My favourite bit of the whole session is probably towards the end starting around 9:45, with several violin voiced creating a very cool soundscape. Generally I love those violin bits when you slide from one note to another, I am sure there is a much more accurate musical term for that though  :D
Always wanted to learn violin or cello, but I fear that those are the kind of instruments that are very hard to learn without proper lessons and a lot of dedication...

All in all I really dig the (to my ears) foreign and exotic sound of the whole piece, and I suspect that effect stems from this Dorian scale. This style of music would probably go very well with some movies scores!

Thanks so much @Michael for taking the time to listen to the whole thing. It's really nice that you did.

I love the Dorian scale it's a great transition from the Minor blues scale as well. The two fit together very well.

This timing signature with the accent on the 1 and the 3 is inspired from Greek traditional music.

Some famous musician once said that each mode is like a different universe and must be practiced with individually to really explore their potential. I find that experimenting with different timing signatures also changes the way I use a scale and gives a new dimension to their feel in improv.

I've been playing this franken violin for about a year. I reckon if you've got a good ear for sound you should find an instrument you enjoy the tone of and go for it. It's inspired by traditional instruments I found on my travels through Greece, Eastern Europe and Turkey. Including the Cretan Lyra, the Macedonian kemane, the Bulgarian gadulka and the kemanche of various countries including Turkey. These are all bowed instruments played on the knee, normally with three playing strings. Normally tuned to GDA.

Sadly I didn't bring one back with me. But I did spy a forty dollars three quarter on the wall at my work, with a little experimenting I created this baby, which once a lapel mic is added and some buttery reverb lashed on, sounds just like a gadulka or similar with sympathetic strings.

I had a sound in mind that I wanted to create and just went for that. It took me a while to develop technique and to get comfortable with the higher notes (still a work in progress) but I'm super happy with the result.

I also love the idea of using anything to make sound for the loop. Like whistling or knocking on the wood or slapping. It's an art to make a loop that is not exhausting to listen to over a long period of time. Adding elements that change too much makes the ear tired too quickly.

Tonal music has a single droning note which runs throughout the song, using this as the basis for the loop and irregular timing signatures, a lot of new music can be made from traditional sounding elements.

Improvisation with Eastern timing signatures is not very well explored in general. I found a playground all to myself!

I will work more on trying different techniques and sounds to expand this loop method. It's a lot of fun.

I would also like to make a Kaval out of a piece of PVC pipe. I love making the guitar sound like an Oud by hitting those strings hard.

Anyways, there's an essay for you. I've built up the courage to perform this act as improv on the streets of Fremantle and it was a lot of fun.

Classic rock covers from the Woodstock period still make a lot more money! Haha, but that's what you get for playing in a town where Bon Scott was buried.

With more practice, I'll get more acquainted with the scales in the high end, and make it tighter and easier to listen to over a long period of time.

• Leonard Scaper
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• October 26, 2020, 19:34:39
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #3 on: March 05, 2020, 17:09:58
Pretty cool @Monty Cash Music .

I noticed a slight loss of tone when you first went to the looper on the violin.....lost some high freq's. No big deal, but noticeable at the transition.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• Dutchbeat
  • Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Yesterday at 17:45:26
  • more
Reply #4 on: March 05, 2020, 23:08:29
 ;D
                                                                                                         :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :pompom: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:    :yes: :yes: :pompom: :praise: :praise: :praise: :praise:
@Monty Cash Music

i wonder ....what @budhabuilding thinks of this...

Nice Looping  :o :o Monty  :thumbsup: thanks for sharing
 ::headphone::
me, myself, and Pie

• Monty Cash Music
  • Rotisseur

• more
Reply #5 on: March 06, 2020, 04:47:12
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 04:49:15 by Monty Cash Music »
Pretty cool @Monty Cash Music .

I noticed a slight loss of tone when you first went to the looper on the violin.....lost some high freq's. No big deal, but noticeable at the transition.

Thanks, you are right this needs tweaking. I have it going through a mixer so easy fix.

I'm developing a four channel system, with two loop pedals so I can keep the drum and vocals separate from the violin. At the moment just using one channel for all of that. At least the drum should be kept separate.

On the street will always be a bit rough, soon when money flows again I'll buy the biggest street amp I can and possibly use separate EQ pedals for separate channels. I also have to be mindful about being relatively compact.

Depending on what mood the bus driver is in that day decides whether one can enter the bus with a trolley load of sound equipment!

Haha, with a four channel system I can make a great sounding mix up live recording because I can do four mono channels recording simultaneously on my H4n (with the help of a good set of cables).

@Dutchbeat thanks man, I'll keep posting my future virtual busking posts in this thread.

• Leonard Scaper
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• October 26, 2020, 19:34:39
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #6 on: March 06, 2020, 15:15:31
On the street I'm betting that such a minor EQ tweak may not even be noticed @Monty Cash Music .

Love the image of you getting on a bus with all that gear.  :)

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• Yesterday at 23:54:02
    • Sheffield, UK
    • https://www.facebook.com/Mr.Bouzouki.Music/ https://www.youtube.com/user/MisterBouzouki https://soundcloud.com/mrbouzouki
  • more
Reply #7 on: March 06, 2020, 16:40:58
I like it how 'soundscapes' are built up with a looper like this.

It keeps making me think I need to invest in one as a new possibility, a tool that has emerged for the younger generation but us oldies can get involved too.

It sound quite Gypsy-tinged, I could imagine people doing a slow dance around a campfire to this.

Dorian is easy to get your head around @Michael as you can think of just playing from the second note of a major scale to the second note an octave higher.

So in C Major for example,    D Dorian is   D E F G A B C D
                               In G Major, A Dorian is  A B C D E F# G A

Check out this page on Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mode_(music)

"Love and Life is all about connections"

• Michael
  • Rotisseur
  • Music Addict

• October 24, 2020, 21:50:27
    • Switzerland
    • https://soundcloud.com/michaelheider
  • more
Reply #8 on: March 06, 2020, 17:19:33
Dorian is easy to get your head around @Michael as you can think of just playing from the second note of a major scale to the second note an octave higher.

So in C Major for example,    D Dorian is   D E F G A B C D
                               In G Major, A Dorian is  A B C D E F# G A

Check out this page on Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mode_(music)
@MrBouzouki that's a great explanation, thanks! :) Playing along on the piano also helped wrap my mind around it!
I really like the way this sounds, and Monty is using it very well!

Reply #9 on: March 08, 2020, 13:42:50
Hey @Monty Cash Music  .... this was really cool.
Beyond that I really enjoyed the meditative qualities of this music. You just kind of let it play ( listener .... not performer ... ha,ha...) and it's chill - it kind of brings you somewhere. Nice.
Having studied and performed American Jazz most of my life, I never really thought of the dorian scale as being exotic. Of course in jazz the dorian scale has a much different function than it does here ... even pieces that are considered modal will still not sound like this. With your instrumentation and melodic choices you give it that world music sound.
It sounds like you've been very busy in real life so thanks for posting this and staying involved! Best of luck with your move, your job, your new life down there.
Good show.
-11 ::Note::
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

• Monty Cash Music
  • Rotisseur

• more
Re: Virtual Busking by Monty
Reply #10 on: March 23, 2020, 16:09:42

Here's a Covid special. Hope everyone is keeping their head up through all of this.

• Monty Cash Music
  • Rotisseur

• more
Reply #11 on: March 23, 2020, 16:16:58
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 16:33:44 by Monty Cash Music »
@Bill from November Sound

Regarding your previous comment. It's great to get used to using these scales with different instruments as that heavily influences how I play the scale, and also to use odd rhythms like 7/8 and 9/8 and often have a drone note in the back there. I also love that the minor pentatonic is used in Tatar music and some chinese folk music and yet it sounds nothing like blues.

Here's a random jam I had with a guy who demanded I stay at his house in Izmir so we could play music. Anyways, he introduced me to Tatar music. Tatarstan is a region in the north of Turkey and the south of Russia, now occupied by Russia, previously occupied by Turkey, but the Tatar folk music lives on.

This guy was a real character! Such a happy loving soul!  This song is in minor pentatonic. Also I've heard some greek trad music using dorian.

• Monty Cash Music
  • Rotisseur

• more
Reply #12 on: March 24, 2020, 10:14:31
Here's an improv in La Pentatonic Minor

• Monty Cash Music
  • Rotisseur

• more
Reply #13 on: March 25, 2020, 04:08:13
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 04:09:50 by Monty Cash Music »
So I'm doing daily posts on Hive (the new crypto based blog platform that is run by the old Steemit community, because some investor took it over this month and tried to put his big dick in everyone's hole so we all just said fuck off and took ourselves to a new place which was started by the community for the purpose of true decentralisation. I've even invested real money to buy Hive crypto because well, the Australian dollar will be going down down down soon).

Mind the french, I'm quite fluent.

Find the Hive post here: https://peakd.com/virtualbusking/@montycashmusic/virtual-busking-cover-horse-with-no-name-by-america

So this whole #virtualbusking is something that I've coined and I'm doing it through a community page on peakd.com/@hive-174034 called HiveStreet.

So join up on Hive and have a chance to earn some crypto supported by a solid community. This crypto is going to be worth more than actual fiat currency soon, at least we speculate (at least more stable (which is scary)), due to all this bullshit. So why not jump on board and post your performances and songs and get active! What have you got to lose? And you've also got a pooload of time... isolation!

Doom and gloom and panic rhetoric out the way. Listen to my angry version of Horse with no name by America! Enjoy!  ;)

• Monty Cash Music
  • Rotisseur

• more
Reply #14 on: March 26, 2020, 08:11:11