• Sous Chef
  • Just strumming away

• March 03, 2020, 21:01:03
    • Sydney, Australia
  • more
Wondering Where You Are - solo acoustic
on: December 07, 2019, 01:02:01
g'day,

Every so often I challenge myself and do a local open mic here in Sydney.

I'm getting more comfortable singing with my band but doing it solo is still tough and the only way to get better is to make myself do it.

This is  from earlier this week - a song I wrote a couple of years ago which @oorlab sang on for me (it was a rock song back then!)

btw for those interested - that tiny guitar isn't a kids guitar - it's a Mini Maton - an Aussie make and it sounds really good plugged in.

• oorlab
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • savoir vivre

• Yesterday at 23:47:34
    • netherlands
    • https://twitter.com/oorlab https://soundcloud.com/oorlab
  • more
Re: Wondering Where You Are - solo acoustic
Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 01:17:59
@Jurgen - sounding good. Surprising deep tnes from such a small guitar.
Keep it up!
new guitar 4-6-2020 https://soundcloud.com/oorlab/12string-demo1 12string Cort.

Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 15:45:12
Wow @Jurgen …. absolutely terrifying …. but you did it! Respect from me, for sure.  :praise:
Nice song, nice performance!
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

• Mo
  • Rotisseur

• Today at 00:19:41
  • more
Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 20:01:08

I  like what you did :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: You are brave! My respect!
And the sound of your guitar is  amazing!

Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 22:28:06
Nice job @Jurgen !!!!

You look like a pro up there, man! Sounds good as well.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• Jurgen
  • Sous Chef
  • Just strumming away

• Sydney, Australia
  • more
Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 22:52:45
Thanks for viewing/listening and your comments.

One thing I'll say (which a lot of you will know already) is that it gets easier each time you play live.

I think it also gets a little better each time as you start to relax. And it's more fun than you realise.

@Bill from November Sound this is an open mic that's pretty busy and we get 4 songs - mine are all very short and in fact when I was done, the next act wasn't ready so I ended up doing 5.

I know you mentioned that you do much longer sets when you play. But if the venue isn't too far and it's just me (i.e. no drums to setup, amps to sort out etc.) then I'm happy to do a 12-15 minute set.

cheers

Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 00:16:01
That guitar does sound nice mate.  Really good performance all round!

Reply #7 on: December 10, 2019, 03:18:56
Hi @Jurgen  .... not trying to give you the writer's cramp .... but could you explain how open mics work down there?
Melissa and I host them here so I'm curious.

Reply #8 on: December 13, 2019, 02:54:40
Full sound from the guitar and a good vocal @Jurgen    Hats off to you for getting yourself to the mic. Now you`re off and running and the experience must be a boost. ::thumb:: ::thumb::
Look forward to more stage videos.

Robert

• Jurgen
  • Sous Chef
  • Just strumming away

• Sydney, Australia
  • more
Reply #9 on: December 15, 2019, 00:34:56
thanks @realkevm and @robertkc

It was interesting to listen to realkevm's interview and he talks about how nervous you were at the start but now are relaxed about performing. It's been the same for me - it just gets easier doesn't it? You just need to make yourself get up there, good or bad, it's all about the experience.

Hey @Bill from November Sound  - re: open mics. There are a lot around Sydney. There's one group (actually seems to be one guy) who has arranged regular ones around various pubs and clubs so that there are at least one a day. Mostly for acoustic acts as the sets are small, usually 4 songs then onto the next. So there's not much time to setup drums etc.

He sorts out the PA and I'm pretty sure it's a job for him now. He must get paid by the venue as he brings in punters who pay for drinks, food etc.

A lot of places here run open mics mid week when the pub/venue is quiet as it brings in revenue.

This guy has also arranged a drought relief concert for this afternoon to raise money for farmers and fire fighters (we are having terrible drought and fires all over the country) - my band is playing and it's a 35 min set. Tickets are 25 dollars so will be interesting to see how many people show up to listen.

Another group/guy arranges Sunday sessions at a different club each week - these are bowling clubs or golf clubs. They have cheaper beer and food and are usually really big places with lots of members. when we play these it's up to a 50 minute set which I think is too long. No one needs to hear us for more than half an hour!  ;D

So there's not a lot of opportunity here for playing live where we get paid (for bands like mine) - but there are open mics if we want them. It's also good for me on my own to get out there and there's always somewhere I can play if I want to.

I'm also thinking of putting on gigs (rather than open mics). I did one this week - the venue has regular live music, I've seen some "big acts" there and they don't charge. So we just need to get a sound guy and pay them (100 dollars for the gig this week). Venue provides PA and all the mics etc. and I had 3 bands playing.

We didn't charge, just put out a tip jar which didn't quite cover the sound guy but it's a lot cheaper than hiring a rehearsal studio and we get to play in front of a live audience (even if it might not be a big audience).

So we just need to make things happen and not look at open mics as a backwards step (some bands/singers do) and we can get a chance to play live.

How often do you do host them? How many people do you get to play/listen and how long are your sets?

Oh and related to this - I've registered my songs with APRA (Australian government thing) and if I submit the setlists for any gigs I do, APRA pays me for each song that gets played. I think it's 2-3 dollars a song.

The venue doesn't have to pay - so a lot of open mics promote originals over covers. In theory if someone plays a cover, I think the venue is supposed to report it and pay royalties. Not sure that happens a lot though...

Hope this wasn't too long a response!  ;D

• Kolohe
  • Vegetable Chef

• May 04, 2020, 07:34:19
    • California
  • more
Reply #10 on: December 15, 2019, 19:36:38
@Jurgen very nice performance.....you look relaxed up there. I didn’t like singing in front of people too, but you’re right, the more you do an open mic it gets a little easier.
Congrats on a good performance.

• Mar T.
  • Senior Site Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • Pay it forward! (watch that movie..)

• Today at 01:47:52
    • Duiven
    • http://twitter.com/MartiMediaSC http://www.facebook.com/MartiMedia http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEBmQkchurQ https://soundcloud.com/martimedia
  • more
Reply #11 on: December 15, 2019, 19:42:48
@Jurgen , mate.. sooo much respect for doing this, at an open mic..
Fantastic to see how you express yourself.. And man, you can sing!! Where did you learn that?  ;) ;) ;) ;)
Awesome, thanks so much for sharing!
I'm proud of this track, check it out! https://soundcloud.com/martimedia/dreams

Reply #12 on: December 16, 2019, 00:27:17
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 00:29:25 by Zedd »
Nice one @Jurgen - you look very confident up there and sound great!! Love your teeny tiny guitar :) !!

There's quite an active open mic scene in Dublin too - I actually ran one in our local bar for a while - every 6 / 8 weeks a while back.. but the bar made little effort to promote it and I didn't really have the time to promote it either so I stopped.. have been thinking of picking it up or at least attending someone else's (makes much more sense !!) again so it's interesting to see this.. although I do much prefer performing with a full band when the opportunity arises I must say!

Well done on getting yourself out there both in your band and solo - great to see! An inspiration, sir!

K

xx
a shredding guitar solo and a keyboard solo at the same time???

Started by Dutchbeat on The kitchen café

3 Replies
Last post September 21, 2015, 18:37:29
by Dutchbeat
xx
Me and the boys solo - a solo from my new song :) Full song soon

Started by Kajetan Zduniak on Live performances

4 Replies
Last post July 22, 2019, 12:32:27
by Kellyanneg
xx
My first solo album!