• A Compromise Needed?
  • Started by Bill from November Sound
A Compromise Needed?
on: March 23, 2019, 18:36:21
So ... Melissa doesn't want to sing this because it is too much negativity and bad vibe in one song.
I created a cool, old-timey, jazzy, quirky musical arrangement and I really want to do it.

Can you help change some lyrics so it is more positive?

Café All-Stars

The freaks are in the marketplace. The street-fest is a mess.
There’s stone dust on the patio. Old guitar man is the best.
Old Willy and the Graveyard Boys on the stage, so raise a fist.
Here I wait for three years on your two year waiting list.

It’s okay. Someday I’ll play in your café.

The booking agent has a band and runs a TV show.
We wonder who will get the gig…….well, it’s hard to know.
Why you have your artists here no one seems to know.
I suggest you listen to my song. You tell me where to go.

It’s okay. Still I say someday I’ll play in your café.

It’s sad to think it’s only words. You say diversity.
When it comes to music, well, those words aren’t meant for me.
Same groups always playing ‘ guess my music you’ll never hear.
Still I’m on your waiting list….what’s another year?

It’s okay. Still I say, someday, someway, I’ll play in your café.

Would you like to hear something different? How ‘bout some jazz?
You probably wouldn’t like it ‘cause it’s not what you’re used to.
I know you wouldn’t like it if I sang a high note………….

It’s okay someday I’ll play in your café.

A wonderful magical place it is where everyone’s the best.
Still I wait for four years on your two year waiting list.
Still I wait forever on your two year waiting list.
Yes, I wait forever on your two year waiting list.

It’s okay someday I’ll play in your café.

( Okay so I'll admit I'm a little bit jaded in regard to the local music scene. Heck if a company were to advertise that they only hire 50+ year old white men it would be front page news! There would be a twitter war. There would be protests in the streets. But local restaurants think nothing of exclusively hiring 50 - 70 year old white men who play guitar and sing*  .... schedules are all posted ... they're always all booked up.
To me the song still has the positive feel of never giving up on the dream that someday I will play in the café.
*btw - if you are a 50-70 year old white man who plays the guitar and sings I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with that ... I still like you the same ...  :)  ... I'm just commenting on the unfairness of my local reality. )
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• August 16, 2019, 22:46:54
    • Sheffield, UK
    • https://www.facebook.com/Mr.Bouzouki.Music/ https://www.youtube.com/user/MisterBouzouki https://soundcloud.com/mrbouzouki
  • more
Re: A Compromise Needed?
Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 18:42:31
Hi @Bill from November Sound ... my first take on this is it's too wordy.
Also maybe a bit self-defeating if you thought of performing it at a venue.
It's almost like poking a stick in their eye,  or biting off the hand that feeds you.
In my opinion, given these lyrics, Melissa is right.

Lets hear your musical arrangement and we can write a whole new song around it.
One Melissa would want to sing. ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::
"Love and Life is all about connections"

Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 18:49:15
So dump it then?
 :bonk:

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• August 16, 2019, 22:46:54
    • Sheffield, UK
    • https://www.facebook.com/Mr.Bouzouki.Music/ https://www.youtube.com/user/MisterBouzouki https://soundcloud.com/mrbouzouki
  • more
Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 18:57:54
No @Bill from November Sound ... I didn't say that.

Let's hear your arrangement and we can help you get the arrangement out there under a new guise.

Sometimes one thing is a vehicle for another.
e.g. I wrote Winter in Love after failing to get my arrangement ready for the challenge but I wanted to use the arrangement.

Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 19:08:59
Uh.. the music and the words are so symbiotically embedded ... I don't think either can exist separately.
But, heck, I have so many songs that are just garbage that I'll never record. So what's another item added to the non-song collection?
Ha,ha .. If I don't get the garbage out there then I might never create anything good!  ;) 

Plus you can't compare those. Your "Winter In Love" was actually a beautiful piece of music  ... this thing not so much.

Reply #5 on: March 24, 2019, 16:24:37
@Bill from November Sound     I have to side with  your wife on this one (sorry) . I think that people making music for others solo or in bands need to look at it like a business.  From personal experience,  nothing is more difficult than starting one and few survive more than a year.

I'm surprised that geezers rule in your neck of the woods, but they must have fans (customers) coming to hear them - if not the establishments would find someone who does.

The thing for me with your lyrics is that it seems a little "in you face"  - which seems to be the thing these days like modern "protest" songs, which seem more of a laundry list of gripes. So, I do think think you risk something alienating your potential "partners" which in this case is the venues.

Have you tried the American Legions, Moose and Elks Clubs? They usually have live music on Friday and Saturday nights, (I don't mean to tell you how to run your business, but just a thought)

If I lived close I would be there front row center.

V

Reply #6 on: March 24, 2019, 17:19:08
Hey @Vince  ... yeah I'm hoping someone else puts up some lyrics soon then this will work its way down.
We've been going and growing since 2014 so It's not like we can't get anything. It's more about my hometown .... where I did everything for them and now they don't care. I wrote this a while back. I'm now getting to the point where I do have some influence and I'm doing my best to explain to people how it really is.
Here in CT the concept that the musicians are "packing the place" is a downright lie. (Everybody is moving out of the state and some of these end of the road venues literally need a musician to come or the place is completely empty.) The racket is that they become a "booking agent" and then make sure only they, their friends and people that are slightly less qualified than them play there. Non-musicians fall for the lies and people just need to be educated but doing it through song, I guess, is not the way to go.

Consider the absurdity: A Restaurant owner hears us the other day at a wedding expo. He says, "Wow you guys are good. You really have your act together!" I ask him if he has music at his place (knowing full well he does...his cafe is the subject of the song...) He says, "I book through so and so.....blah, blah" . Melissa says, "Yes I tried contacting so and so and they ignore me every time." I ask "Can you put in a word for us?" ......It's his restaurant for crying out loud!!!! He put a musician in charge of booking his place? He has to get permission?

Anyway no loyalty to any dirtbag restaurant owners here. And, not falling for the lie that the old men and their guitars are good for business.... at least around here.

But ... if the song is trash the song is trash.  :)  We all write some losers now and again, don't we?   

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 12:18:27
  • more
Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 17:23:10
@Bill from November Sound

i think these lyrics are great and if you also have the music for it that must be an awsome song
without a doubt
in my opinion

but... ;D ;D ;D on the other hand....if  Melissa doesn't think it feels right, it won't work because a singer like her with such a great voice, is able to get into every word and line....if it feels right

So....there is only one solution  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

You have to sing it yourself  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

you have to get out of your comfort zone even more (i read somewhere you think you can not song at all), to get this song out  ;D ;D ;D ;D

go for it!  :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

me, myself, and Pie

Reply #8 on: March 24, 2019, 17:30:10
No @Dutchbeat . My singing is bad news. :bonk:
Btw - the words would go really fast in this song.

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• more
Reply #9 on: March 24, 2019, 17:36:06
@Bill from November Sound

but to answer your subject heading: A compromis needed?

i think the best answer to that is: no, not really, if you want to make this song, make it the way you feel
strange idea, but.... wouldn't these lyrics and topic be a great track for @Leonard Scaper to put his voice to?

just wondering,
but reading the lyrics again and trying to image Lenny sing them....works for me

Reply #10 on: March 24, 2019, 17:57:42
We can't send the cursed song to Lenny! ... and pass all the bad karma to him. :o

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• more
Reply #11 on: March 24, 2019, 17:59:05
We can't send the cursed song to Lenny! ... and pass all the bad karma to him. :o

yes you can, we all do that :-)

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• August 16, 2019, 23:16:46
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #12 on: March 24, 2019, 19:18:53

Chuckling at that.......I think 'll pas on it. I do, however, think that it could be a really could song depending on how it is performed.

Hmmmmm.....do you have music for it tracked?
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

Reply #13 on: March 24, 2019, 20:21:04
well @Bill from November Sound  That totally explains it  and I can see your frustration. Melissa is too nice!!! She should totally sing this.

BTW, people are leaving this area too, trouble is there are still too many people getting in my way. I'm stuck here a little longer.

V.

Reply #14 on: March 24, 2019, 23:54:22
Yes @Leonard Scaper I do. It goes from like old-timey  sea chanty to straight up bebop jazz to alternative rock .... it would've been do cool. :) 
Good news: the music sounds cool  :)
Bad news: the song is cursed  :(

Hey @Vince you're stuck behind the caravan of Chicago leavers?  Plus people are probably trying to go somewhere warmer after the winter you all have had.

I'll trash the song.

I hope more people will comment on @MrBouzouki  's lyrics so this thread can go away  :shinyteeth:

xx
help needed...

Started by Dutchbeat on The kitchen café

4 Replies
Last post January 28, 2016, 11:29:14
by Dutchbeat
xx
Something else is needed?

Started by LouDA on Songs for review

5 Replies
Last post March 22, 2019, 02:05:03
by LouDA
xx
Scenarios - something that I needed to get down.

Started by Pleudoniem on Songs for review

12 Replies
Last post July 14, 2019, 02:49:13
by Pleudoniem
xx
feedback needed

Started by Dutchbeat on Songs for review

7 Replies
Last post August 01, 2015, 20:48:45
by digger72
xx
Male Vocalist Needed !!