• Imaginary Friend - the song that I can't finish
  • Started by Bill from November Sound
I don't know about this song.....
I think we're going to go with it but it's kind of dark. Kind of creepy, maybe.
So you know how little kids sometimes have their imaginary friends? Well, what if they aren't imaginary? What if imaginary friends are trans-dimensional beings? The breath of life that brings you into this world? And takes you away when you die? Your "guardian angel"? Your conscience?

I'll take suggestions. I'll take help. Should I keep going with this? Is it too long?
* ( ) The parentheses mean I'm not sure what words to use there.

Lyrics:

Verse:
I’m everyone’s acquaintance; I’m your forgotten friend.
Only in the end will you know me.   (only now do you)
I’m the miniscule shadow in the crowded room.
Did you see me? Do you know me?
They shined a flashlight under your bed.
They told you I was in your head.

Chorus:
Am I real or imaginary?
Will you call me “friend”?
Am I real or imaginary?
Won’t you call me?  Call me your friend. Imaginary friend.

Verse:
Here in the beginning, I’ll take you in the end:
That strange noise you can never find.
Your best friend’s speech on your wedding day:
The voice was his, the words were mine.
“Oh so lovely,” they all said
but, oh, those voices in your head.

Chorus:
Am I real or imaginary?
Am I real or imaginary?

Interlude

Chorus:
Am I real or imaginary?
Am I real or imaginary?

Verse:
Who guided your wheels on that icy road?  (winter’s night)
That strange shadow you can never see.
I’ll hold your hand to the very end
And deliver your eulogy.
When you were little, “so cute” they said:
but, now, those voices in your head.

Outro:
Your imaginary friend.
Your imaginary friend.
Your only real friend.

Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 01:12:21
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Re: Imaginary Friend - the song that I can't finish
Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 12:28:57
Very interesting lyrics. I think you have definitely drifted toward a slightly sinister place. I'm getting the feeling of an entity that is watching and waiting, possibly even for for your demise....always there but always hiding right out in the open.......in your best friend's speech, the shadow in the room....the voice in your head.

The chorus really drives that home for me as those are serious questions, given how you have established the profile of this entity. Is it benevolent or malicious? You leave that question unanswered. Even as the voice says to 'call me your friend", I'm not so sure.

I think you should embrace all of that, though. The lyrics elicit pretty strong feelings and they are definitely going to make your listener think about them and revisit them. The real trick will be matching them up with the right music to really set the mood. Your choice of music could even clear up some of the lingering questions.

I definitely like:

Only in the end will you know me.   (only now do you)

and

icy road?  (winter’s night)

"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 03:55:36
Thanks @Leonard Scaper , I knew I could count on you.  :)
No pressure on matching the music to get the point across, eh? I'm not sure if I can do it. Ha,ha ... the track I'm currently making uses synth sounds with names such as: "postcard from hell" , etc.... so, yeah it's kind of creepy.

I'm combining a lot of ideas into this concept/story. One of which is that Melissa grew up in a haunted house and there are stories that she tells people ... and then some that she doesn't......

• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• August 31, 2019, 23:25:43
    • Somewhere near Liverpool, UK
    • HTTPS//:soundcloud.com/Michael-a-duffy
  • more
Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 13:38:52
The more sinister element to this song was quite engaging @Bill from November Sound - and there's a kind of mystery in the identity of the imaginary friend that certainly evokes menace. It's a successful lyric sheet in my view.

I'm not sure about that first line 'everyone's acquaintance', though, as that sounds maybe a bit less sinister - as it is less involved with the single third person who the 'friend' is addressing and who the listener maybe finally fears for. But once your ideas developed you really quickly warmed up into producing quite a compelling story.

I can imagine (being your imaginary friend!  ;D) this being quite a dramatic piece for November Sound, and I'm looking forward to hearing the musical outcome!
If you like novels with a musical theme, why not try 'Sixth Beatle - When Music Changed The World', easily found on Amazon and Google. It is amazing, although as the author I may be biased!

Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 19:53:00
Thanks @MichaelA !
I know what you're saying about "everyone's acquaintance" but I just can't think of an alternative. The idea is that, friendly or not, everyone actually has this shadowy, multi-dimensional guide but they are not attuned to his or her presence. Children (and pets probably) , however, often are aware - sometimes in a terrified way but other times simply accepting as their "friend". 
So, yeah, all that to say  "everyone's acquaintance" is the best I've got.

• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• August 31, 2019, 23:25:43
    • Somewhere near Liverpool, UK
    • HTTPS//:soundcloud.com/Michael-a-duffy
  • more
Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 20:21:53
Don't worry, it is pretty good anyway!  ;)

Maybe...

Rarely spotted, always here, the friend that never leaves

I will close the door on my way out!  ;D It was only a minor quibble, but I do get where you're coming from with that original phrase. Good luck with it Bill!

• Jim
  • Chef de Partie
  • Weirdy Beardy

• April 27, 2019, 01:33:24
    • Nottingham, GB
    • https://soundcloud.com/jim-clark-17
  • more
Reply #6 on: July 21, 2018, 12:41:09
Sorry @Bill from November Sound - this was one I read, had a think about, then failed to comment on... :-[

I think they're great lyrics, love the sinister edge to them...definitely minor key stuff, minor sixth chords spring to mind with their spooky sound (I know they're inversions of m7b5's).

I didn't mind the first line, it scans at least...if fact almost all of it scans...apart from "And deliver your eulogy"...too many back to back "weak" syllables.  How about "Your eulogy will be delivered"?  :)

Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 20:35:36
Thanks for the help @Jim  ..... uh, I have no idea how to change that eulogy line. Maybe I'll just have her sing or say the syllables in a STRONG way.  :D

I like your talk about minor 6th chords. So for modern jazz harmony the minor 6 add 9 is essentially the tonicized minor. It is, therefore, very difficult for me to think of inverted minor 7th b5 's because a minor 7th b5 is functionally much, much different. The minor 7th b5 is (to me always) the ii chord pivoting to a V7b9 ( or V7 alt  - V7 b9#9 b13  ...kind of thing) in the minor key. The way you said it first is right on my wavelength .... but I think I'm doing something a little different with this particular music. 

I might need to add it to the overly-complicated annoying analysis thread..... uh, oh  :blackgrin: