• Vikings ! - instrumental development via word picture (Pilgrms Way Project)
  • Started by MrBouzouki
  • MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• December 09, 2019, 14:32:51
    • Sheffield, UK
  • more
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 14:58:53 by MrBouzouki »
I'm not sure in what board this post should go.  Mods please feel free to put it somewhere else if appropriate.

It isn't a song at any stage of completion to review, it's not discussing technique, it's discussing emotion and instrument choices related to imagery in my head.
So I thought, it's lyrics to some degree as the word picture I'm painting needs translating into instrument choices. Find that popcorn @Leonard Scaper

Anyway here is the description of what I'm aiming for and it would be great to get some feedback from anybody about what I have so far.

Vikings !

https://www.lindisfarne.org.uk/793/

The scene is the austere setting of Lindisfarne with the early monks (pre Benedictine they came later), around 793 as the heathen Northmen attacked and destroyed the defenceless Church looking for plunder
It is also possible then that they knew of Lindisfarne’s wealth, the size of the community there and the nature of that community, monasteries were popular targets as they were seldom well defended by their
location or by other means and they often possessed items of great value usually as part of their religious ceremony.

Musically, I intend to start with a relaxed, almost austere vibe, I could take some liberties and move the January attack to later in the year perhaps if I wanted a more idyllic summer feel.
Maybe start with acoustic finger-style guitar, maybe a hint of low whistle, but just a hint. Then perhaps the ringing out of a warning bell, and the music becomes more hurried, as the monks
scurry around as dark foreboding ships have been spotted on the horizon.

Then a switch to the longboats, with a militaristic driving feel. I'm assuming drums and brass but I'm trying to avoid too much a "Game of Thrones" feel if I can. Staccato playing, grunts and cries
might feature here.Then the sound of boats coming ashore, and cries and horns as the reavers land.

Then we are into the full terror of the raid, with blood, slaves carried off, plundering and general mayhem. I imagine plenty of drums, distorted electric guitar and big orchestral strings by this point.

Then suddenly they are gone. The survivors come out from their hiding places to witness the carnage. Musically, a running down back to the austere sound of the start but with a real melancholiac feel.
Hopefully, some initial melody has now become minor to give a link to the start of the piece. Maybe it will be January then a cold biting wind can be howling around too.

Anyway, this is what is in my head so instrument choices, rhythmic choices, further ideas all gratefully received.

::OSMAN:: ::OSMAN:: ::OSMAN::
"Love and Life is all about connections"

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 17:20:17
    • Terra Firma
  • more
I think this is a fine place for this thread, MrB.

I like how you have set you piece up and I definitely look forward to hearing what you do with it.

Very interesting article as well.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• December 09, 2019, 14:32:51
    • Sheffield, UK
  • more
Isn't the Internet wonderful ?

I've just found the sound of Danish Viking re-enactors in Denmark during their weekly practice as a public domain sound file.

Talk about serendipity  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

https://freesound.org/people/DeadVDI/sounds/376646/

xx
The North Shore (Instrumental) - The Pilgrims Way Project

Started by MrBouzouki on Songs for review

10 Replies
Last post July 06, 2018, 12:29:03
by Urban Tumbleweed
xx
The Vikings ! ( HAVE ARRIVED )

Started by MrBouzouki on Songs for review

18 Replies