Author Topic: A progressive rock chef  (Read 252 times)

Offline Growingart

A progressive rock chef
« on: July 12, 2017, 09:36:38 »
Hi all kitchen people, since five years I have built up recording experience and my studio. Focus is on collaboration over internet. I started to figure out how to do some of these studio things but still have lots to learn. Main challenge has been to find online collaborations with people who are actually contributing, and we are still searching for some. In one of my projects we recently released our first song, link below. You know the happy feeling once reach such stage !

I am fond of progressive rock with focus on melody, themes and lyrics are about emotions, experiences, or whatever I think about when thinking too much. I have a lot of activity in my daily job (university researcher) and music is a way to release too-much-thinking-about-work.

Offline Leonard Scaper

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • Guest Chef
Re: A progressive rock chef
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 10:32:13 »
Hey @Growingart ....this is a wonderfully complex piece that will definitely need more than a cursory listen to fully assimilate and appreciate.

Welcome to The Kitchen! Here you'll find an amazingly eclectic group of songwriters who are not afraid to combine their styles in collaborations that result in some very interesting and sometimes surprising music.

Pull up a chair and give a listen to a few things.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/returntomountain

Online Dutchbeat

• MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 13:54:41 »
Hi @Growingart, thanks for joining the forum! I hope you will like it here  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

a lot of collaborations going on here on this side.....

i will listen and look at your youtube video later, after my day job is finished  ;D ;D ;D ;D
I lost it...ages ago

Offline MrBouzouki

• Rotisseur
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 16:30:51 »
Hi @Growingart ... it's great to get another progressive rock fan in the Kitchen.  ::headphone::

I like Long Gone. There is quite a bit of tension in some of the guitar sections. The keyboard section at about 4:35 is really just an eye of the storm in the overall groove. The release at about 5:54 is effective.  The video element is interesting and I listened to the song on it's own first and then again with the video. I'd be interested to hear what inspired you to choose the visual elements you did to go into the video.
I've taken a quick listen to Distant too. It sounds interesting.

As a guitarist and fan of people like Camel, Steve Hackett, ELP, IQ, Pendragon, Karnataka etc. etc.  I'm currently indulging myself in my own solo Prog Rock monster  ;D It started off with the nebulous idea of an almost automated lighthouse in space with just one human inhabitant, alone and 14 million light-years from earth. I've been at it over a year now and it's about 16.5 minutes long. I've been using it a learning tool for recording, mixing and producing too.

https://soundcloud.com/mrbouzouki/sets/lighthouse-keeper-audio

"Love and Life is all about connections"

Offline Growingart

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 22:17:30 »
I like the ideas in Lighthouse Keeper @MrBouzouki , the focus is in melody and feeling. I look forward to hear the full monster, I am following the Facebook page now. It has to be monstrous to mix. Similarly I started with a small idea as learning to record. An acoustic little thing which has become 10 minute song called State that I am in. The idea for song came when I discussed with another musician. We want to do creative things but life, work, family comes in between. Even though we want to do stuff, we do not do them. Just stay in a state static, time passes and years pass by. That will be our fourth song to be released. Yesterday I finished mixing Distant, and will leave it a few days to rest my ears.

The video for Long Gone was just put together from video snippets which I had. I collect such when walking around or travelling. I based it on the video with train and the man (me...) and woman in the train. And then added some video snippets to make it "complete". In future I will make a video with our singer, she is an actress but we do not live in same city. I am doing photography and video as creative flow. We will use Youtube as channel. Soundcloud is limited since one can not follow links on mobile phones when we post on Facebook.

Offline Mar T.

• Senior Site Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • Pay it forward! (watch that movie..)
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 00:19:27 »
Hi @Growingart , welcome to the kitchen chef! And thank you for introducing yourself..
Haha yes I recognise the too-much-thinking-about-work, I'm in ICT in rl, I love it, but I also love to spend my spare
time songwriting and enjoying this beautiful kitchen community.
You'll find amazing people here, this place is full of sensitive, friendly, creative and funny musicians/songwriters.
I hope you feel at home right away.
I listened to Long Gone while typing, and I think you are completely in control of the 'studio' things, that sounds
awesome! Did you perform all instruments yourself? (either MIDI or playing (guitar) and singing?)
I enjoyed the listen!!
Cheers!!
:mart:

Offline Growingart

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 07:40:09 »
I am in advanced materials research, graphene etc @Mar T. . State of art research but the main thing is to collaborate, so I have strategically done that in work. And this is the same for music. I initiated this project but prefer collaborations. Found drummer, and also singer. Lately also another guitarist even though that was not the intention but I rather include more people when personal chemistry etc match. Still looking for bass and keyboard player. My main instrument is guitar and I find my way to do keyboards which I play and then midi edit. I am more song writer than good instruments player but I also am very persistent when I get a melody in my head. On this song I made most guitars, all bass and keyboards. It was almost ready when the other guy entered the project but I wanted him to do some stuff so we could all feel involved at release. On other songs he is doing most things, so it will balance in overall.

So kitchen forum is very interesting since I am very positive to collaboration and exchange of ideas and learnings. I appreciate your efforts in this forum, I know how time consuming things can be.

Offline iiviivix

• Vegetable Chef
  • Vocal Melodist | Rapper, Singer, Songwriter
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 00:39:05 »
Hey @Growingart . I loved the subtle church bells in your 'Long Gone' track, its just after midnight here now in Torino and I had to take my earphones out because I thought the church down the hill from me was ringing its bells at this hour haha =P

Nice to know of you here, think of me if you ever need my style of vocals =) I am following you on youtube and facebook now but, the link in your kitchen profile to your soundcloud account doesn't seem to be working?? Not sure if you knew about this =)

peace & love

/iiviivix

Listen on SoundCloud : www.soundcloud.com/iiviivix

First demo album now available on Spotify, search "love&life by iiviivix"

Second demo album coming soon - "back&forth" December 2017

Offline Mar T.

• Senior Site Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • Pay it forward! (watch that movie..)
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 00:42:51 »
<off topic> @Growingart I fixed the link in your 'kitchen' profile to your SC profile </off topic>

Offline Growingart

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 21:41:11 »
ah, sorry about link. Usually I check or do copy and paste, but sometimes write directly on keyboard. Thanks @Mar T.

Thanks for reflection on the song @iiviivix . Bells are from Nuremberg. I collect sounds on my mobile phone and like to use in my ideas. Trains, French voices in elevators, etc.

I am not a hip hop guy, but like the feeling from your work. It seems thematic also. I have no idea how your voice would fit, but I am open to try. Different backgrounds makes it more interesting. The main important thing is to genuinely wanting to collaborate. We have a female singer and I have been thinking of complementary male voice. I am trying myself but it still needs work. I will respond to yuor SC message and take it from there.

Online Dutchbeat

• MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 22:09:39 »
hi @Growingart
i finally got to listen to this...nice music!  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::
that is quite a piece of work, nice job !!! ::headphone:: ::headphone:: ::headphone:: ::headphone::

Offline Jurgen

• Sous Chef
  • Just strumming away
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 04:02:11 »
Hi @Growingart and welcome to the Kitchen.

This place has been a great source of collaborations for me. Lots of talent here in a variety of areas and genres so hopefully you'll enjoy it here and find it useful.

I liked your video and found the track interesting - it's probably not my type of thing but I did enjoy it. You certainly get a lot of sustain with your lead playing.

That bit that starts around 4.25 is great, the bells, the repetitive picking and the vocals really works for me.

cheers

xx
Spoos - Instrumental Progressive Metal/Rock

Started by Phott on Songs for review

21 Replies
Last post January 06, 2016, 12:19:05
by CrystalSuzy
xx
Progressive, Metal, Doom, Goth Musicians Wanted For Collaboration

Started by joehoe on Collaborations

4 Replies
Last post March 01, 2017, 23:16:37
by joehoe
xx
How do chef's create their recipes?

Started by jmacdon on Life

11 Replies
Last post January 27, 2014, 07:01:00
by fischermans
xx
Another little ditty - June 2017 - Chef's recommendation !!

Started by Olbigead on Songs for review

33 Replies
Last post June 20, 2017, 12:13:02
by Leonard Scaper
xx
7 generations of rock

Started by GTB on Songs for review

5 Replies
Last post March 26, 2015, 10:30:05
by Dutchbeat

granny-blade