• Chef de Partie
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Today at 17:53:53
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Good Day! Here's my introduction.....
on: January 06, 2018, 11:21:51
Good day to you!
My nameís Gus. I am a Dutch songwriter. I live in greater Amsterdam, i.e. in one of the suburbs. Thatís what R&R does to you. You end up in a suburb.

I have a funny procedure to get to my songs:
-   Away from home, I write refrains. Refrains are the back bone of songs in our song tradition
-   At home, while waiting for somthing or other, I write lyrics
-   At home, everyday I am at home that is, I write a song

My brain is a chemical thing. It can be influenced by all kinds of stuff as every lover or sporter knows. Iíve always thought it a bit of a mistery why musicians tend to overlook this. I let this system work for me.
So, save for weddings, great parties and such, I go to my bedroom recording studio at 6 pm and write a song. And Iím right back a quarter to 8 to make coffee and watch the 8 oíclock news. By doing so, my brain expects happy hormones at certain times of the day.

My main influences are:
-    the Brill Building songs, say 1961
-   The pre underground music, 1966 (garage rock)
-   Plus a couple of heroes like MC5, Curtis Mayfield, Leslie Gore, Dusty Springfield, Tim Buckley to name a few

The fascination for the girl groups I share with The Ramones, but with an entirely different outcome.

I donít have a formal training where music is concerned. I clip my lyric to my mic cord, hang my guitar Ďround my neck and push the red button on my hard disk recorder.  And I play/record instantly what comes to mind. I leave the singing as it is, add guitars, bass, finger drumming and harmonies.
Alas, my voice is almost gone. But that doesnít bother me that much. The other option is to sit and wait to die. No option at allÖ

As for my alias: No kitchen is complete without people willing to do the dishes. I content myself to being just that. Simple things often give great results.
Only after setteling for my alias, I found out that there's a dishwasher already! But I rekoned that there's no harm to have a spare one.

If you have any questions, please leave them here. And Iíll get back to you with an answer.
Iíll be more than glad if youíd have me.

At the mods:
Iíll make an account to the best of my abilities. If I fall short, would you be so kind to help out? Thank you very much! And thank you for being Mods.
Kind regards, Gus/LePlongeur

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 22:00:21
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Re: Good Day! Here's my introduction.....
Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 11:36:52
@LePlongeur ....Welcome to The Kitchen, Gus, and thanks for your excellent introduction. I believe that you will find that you are going to be very comfortable in one of our kitchen chairs so pull one up and start looking around.

Your songwriting method sounds very natural and organic and your musical influences are very cool.....really looking forward to hearing some of your work.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 21:44:21
  • more
Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 14:35:38
hi @LePlongeur , welcome to the forum, thanks for joining  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

i hope you will like it here... ;D ;D ;D

(en: altijd fijn om er weer iemand uit Nederland bij te hebben  ;D ;D ;D)
me, myself, and Pie

Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 15:23:37
Hi @LePlongeur  - do you have any songs to listen to on the Sound Cloud or any of the other web-sites?

Vince

• LePlongeur
  • Chef de Partie

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 15:26:47
@Leonard Scaper Thank you very much for your warm welcome. I've been looking around for the past ten days or so and I do believe I'll be going to love it.
Kind Regards, Gus

• LePlongeur
  • Chef de Partie

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 15:45:11
Thank you so much @Dutchbeat for giving me such a warm welcome.

I'll try and steer free from certain things. I'm aware of the Dutch being libertines in the eyes of many other people. So I'll really try and behave.

This may sound much more serious than it is in reality. My lyrics, as a rule, can be read aloud in the vicinity of small children.
So there, but it will be a point of attention for me.

Kind regards, Gus

• LePlongeur
  • Chef de Partie

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 15:54:32
@Vince I am not quite sure what direction to take with hosting and posting.
I've used my Drop Box for ages and ages, untill they skipped all the older accounts.

Over the past 9 years or so I've posted something like 30 songs on
gitaarnet.nl/forum

This is one of them. I've wondered how it can be possible that we know nothing about permanent discomfort and have pills for almost anything else. Headache? Two of the purple pills and it's over. While we all know that a headache will be over tomorrow, with or without pills.
But blushing? A permanent discomfort for those who have it? We know nothing about blushing.

This is a Dutch song about blushing:

Wat is Ginger toch een heerlijk wicht

Dat blozen voor veel mensen
een vervelende eigenschap is
terwijl ik vind het wel leuk hoor
heel leuk zelfs, niks mee mis

En omdat het ook kan volgen op
een complimentje - ook nog gemeend
je zou d'r z'wat nog katten
zodat ze niet gelijk versteent

Onderzoek HIV en kanker
blozen onderzoeken we niet
gelukkig voor mij kun je zeggen
jammer voor een rooie griet

br
geŽrgerd door de vloedgolf van hitte
- wat is Ginger toch een heerlijk wicht -
die opkomt in haar hals en zich
knalrood verspreid over haar gezicht

Ref
Ik geef haar dus maar gauw een knuffel
zij verbergt haar gezicht
tot 't ergste is geweken
wat is Ginger toch een heerlijk wicht

W30nov2016 posted on the 2nd of January 2017

http://picosong.com/dgTm

Enjoy!
Kind regards, Gus

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 16:04:48
That sounds good @LePlongeur .........chuckling about how little we know about blushing. Feel free to start a thread with any of your songs. If you have any aspect of the song that you want specific opinions on let folks know.....even works in progress. It can be very rewarding to build up a tune around the comments and suggestions of fellow Kitcheneers.

:) :) :)

• LePlongeur
  • Chef de Partie

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 07:16:57
Thank you so much for your kind offer, @Leonard Scaper. I hope to be able to take you up on that when the process of creativity is slowing down. Which will happen, one time or another, I'm sure.

Most music we hear is recorded after careful arranging and thinking over. Rehearsing a lot even. What you see and hear in the Ginger blushing song is writing in a stream of consciousness. A single burst of energy of 15 to 20 minutes max for the lyrics. More or less the same happens with the music. All the parts are played once. Mistakes are not repaired as a rule.

It's not a matter of dolling up the music. It's only goal is to make a new song audible. Warts and all.
Suggestions are welcome of course. And I will try to make use of them in the next series of songs. Over the past 9 years (of recording digitally) it has only happened two or three times that I went back, erased and re-recorded a song. The main reason being, that the time I invest in making improvements of  song 1, I can't write song 2.

The same goes for invitations to perform. It's a thanks, but no, thanks thing for me. All my songs are only played once.
I realise I'm rather excentric where my music is concerned.

Thank you for the Karma's and Kudo's. Not sure how I've earned them but it's a nice thought anyway.

I have one question though:
Can I find a 'how to.....' somewhere for the forum? How to post a photo in my profile for instance?
Thanks for helping out.
Kind regards, Gus

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #9 on: January 07, 2018, 10:44:58
All my songs are only played once.

I am that way as well. Once I write and record a song I let it go out into the world and move on to another. Out of the 200 or so songs on my streaming site I only play a dozen or so when I just sit down to play. When my world tour comes around I will have to learn my own songs.  ;)

Go to the "Profile" link above to see how to create an avatar. You can also put a pin in our map to show us where you are.

• oorlab
  • Chef de Partie
  • savoir vivre

• January 16, 2019, 23:20:54
    • netherlands
    • https://twitter.com/oorlab https://soundcloud.com/oorlab
  • more
Reply #10 on: January 07, 2018, 11:47:51
Interesting working methods @LePlongeur  - welcome to the forum. That is an interesting question: "Most music we hear is recorded after careful arranging and thinking over. Rehearsing a lot even" - some music may be, but there are other recordings that have found a place in our common consciousness that are quite spontaneous. When I think of The Beatles, it is interesting to note that they recorded their debut album in one day.
Welcome to the kitchen, hoping to hear your music.
recommending https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Music_Works "How music works", book by David Byrne.

Reply #11 on: January 07, 2018, 12:56:11
Welcome to the forum @LePlongeur - you are certainly an interesting fellow! Thanks for taking the time to introduce you and your methods to us... Look forward to having you on the forum!

Karen.

• LePlongeur
  • Chef de Partie

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 13:38:40
Interesting working methods @LePlongeur  - welcome to the forum. That is an interesting question: "Most music we hear is recorded after careful arranging and thinking over. Rehearsing a lot even" - some music may be, but there are other recordings that have found a place in our common consciousness that are quite spontaneous. When I think of The Beatles, it is interesting to note that they recorded their debut album in one day.
Welcome to the kitchen, hoping to hear your music.

(Not sure whether I have to mention an author if I quote, so maybe it looks stupid to you. I'm willing to brave that).

@oorlab
The Beatles have been boasting a gruelling gigging scheme. So between mid 1960 to mid 1962, they have been gigging (let's assume) every other night with a rather limited songlist. It still is quite an accomplishment to record 12 songs in a day. But they have been rehearsing something like 300 times!
That's well rehearsed in my opinion.

A far cry from Fleetwood Mac and 'Rumours', I'll agree to that. They practically lived in a studio for over a year.

My work methods stem from a photographer I teamed up with at the time.
He shot a series of photos and only after the series was completed, he went over it to judge his work. I make a series of 10 songs, usually in as many days and then I take the time to listen to the results. And, like the photographer, when I get two or three songs that meet with my expectations, I'm glad.

There's a topic inviting people to post their wrongwriting. I wouldn't know where to start quite frankly!
But I love the process of making things audible that weren't there before...

Thanks for your welcome!
Kind regards, Gus

• LePlongeur
  • Chef de Partie

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #13 on: January 08, 2018, 13:43:52
Welcome to the forum @LePlongeur - you are certainly an interesting fellow! Thanks for taking the time to introduce you and your methods to us... Look forward to having you on the forum!

Karen.

@Zedd
Thank you so much for having me. I love your music already.
For the past 9 years I've been part of a guitarist's forum and they have been ever so kind to me. Specially since my guitar playing leaves much to be desired.

The diversity of the songs posted here, seems far greater/better. Also (of course) more focussed on the song than on the guitarplaying.
It feels great to be here.
Kind regards, Gus

• Goatrelated
  • Chef de Partie

• January 15, 2019, 05:25:55
    • Kwadalumpor
  • more
Reply #14 on: January 11, 2018, 17:08:05
Welcome !
:goatie:
also a goat understands a joke

xx
Good Day to Everyone

Started by Stan Johanson on Me

8 Replies
Last post April 13, 2016, 01:55:21
by CrystalSuzy
xx
have a good day, Boudewijn!