• Patissier
  • Undomesticated Goddess

• December 31, 2018, 14:39:57
    • Surfers Paradise, Australia
    • http://twitter.com/hairburger www.soundcloud.com/monty-la-meer
  • more
Re: Hello
Reply #15 on: April 01, 2018, 07:35:04
That's cool! Singing is my passion, and it doesn't have to be yours and you may not be overly good, but just have a try and play around with different sounds and effects and styles. Just have fun! That's the whole point anyway!  ::thumb::
"But never have I been a blue calm sea...I have always been a storm." - Stevie Nicks

Followed by Lady Gaga on Twitter since 2009! ❤

Some of Monty's songs:
www.soundcloud.com/monty-la-meer

• LePlongeur
  • Chef de Partie
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Today at 08:08:58
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #16 on: April 01, 2018, 09:11:46
Walking is considered to be easy. @Thamyris
It is, when you do it every day.
With singing it is not different.
It's all very nice to talk about finding your voice, but you (I, no one) will find it unless you use it.
Take out your favorite songs to a quiet place and sing along with the music you enjoyed anyway.
Be sure that you find a way to keep the pleasure intact. The only things you will be succesful in, are the things you do with pleaure.
Try not to sing like someone else.
This may read as if I'm a bit angry or some such thing.
This is absolutely not the case. I'm not angry. But maybe I will be if you don't give it a shot. What have you got to lose? Singing is great fun.

Sing every day and within a couple of months you'll be astonished at the results.
Honestly.
And I love to hear you sing when you feel like it.
Kind regards, Gus

• Thamyris
  • Junior Cook
  • Karma Hunter

• December 02, 2018, 01:08:58
    • Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri
  • more
Reply #17 on: April 03, 2018, 20:25:00
I recorded my song War Rainbow to show why I don't think I should sing my songs. In my opinion the second link which is an instrumental of the song is much better.
Lyrics:

Can you hear the rain that's coming?

Abraham, you spoke so well

Told about a scarlet shower

Rising from the ranks of hell

From it's mist, the bow of glory

Brighter than the morning sun

With each drop of blood grows stronger

'Til the battle cries are done

War rainbow

War rainbow

Rising o'er the fields of war

War rainbow

War rainbow

May your colors shine no more

Can you hear the dead, my brother?

Crying out beneath the ground

Rising up into the heavens

'Til the end of time comes round

War rainbow

War rainbow

Rising o'er the field of war

War rainbow

War rainbow

May your colors shine no more

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Yesterday at 22:34:12
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #18 on: April 03, 2018, 21:27:41
Here's the honest truth @Thamyris .....your voice has a particular character that works perfectly with that song. I cannot imagine the song being sung by anyone else and having the impact that it does with you singing it.

While it would be so nice if all of us could sing like angels.....that's just not the way it is. Perfect pitch and range is all well and good but there is serious art and impact in a song that is well written and sung with feeling by the person who wrote it. Your performance is real and it gives life to the song that you wrote. Thanks for posting it.

I'll be looking for more.

8)
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

Reply #19 on: April 03, 2018, 22:03:06
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 22:22:48 by Bluedusksun »
Thought I'd throw my two cents in, and coming from someone that really doesn't like their own voice, for people like us it will always be a process. I can tell you at this point that I am starting to like/understand my own voice and I'm beginning to experiment with its strengths and weaknesses, and that wouldn't be at all possible if I hadn't been working on it for the last couple of years. Not only do you have to find your own voice/style, you have to learn how to mix it as well (the silent other half, you'd be amazed at what a little EQ, Compression, Reverb, De-essing, and Delay can do).

Also I have had the pleasure of working with a very talented young women's voice, and honestly some songs just become much more prominent with someone else singing/contributing to them. Not to mention that you look at it differently cause it's not your own voice, but your own song and it becomes different/yet familiar. I've just reconnected with the joy of collaborating, can't you tell? haha

Here is my favorite warm up by Rae Henry, she has all her singing tutorials on youtube and piano singing exercises on soundcloud. Her program helped me far more than anything else, and it's FREE!!!!! Also use the warm up and cool down (Lesson 3 I believe) before every practice/session, and drink warm water mixed with lemon and honey.

There the torch is passed, I give you ancient Chinese secret, make of it what you will ;)

Oh and nice song by the way, and welcome to the Kitchen. :P

~Rich

https://soundcloud.com/rae-henry

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.

• Thamyris
  • Junior Cook
  • Karma Hunter

• more
Reply #20 on: April 04, 2018, 03:44:09
Thanks, @Leonard Scaper and @Bluedusksun for your help. I do see a need to try to learn to sing better. I play by ear these days so to me the keyboard is singing the words. To make things worse, I get stage fright even when I'm recording myself on the phone. That means that I have to record every song over and over to not make a mistake in how I think the melody should go. I will see if one of my other songs aren't too complicated. Thanks, again.

• monty_lameer
  • Patissier
  • Undomesticated Goddess

• more
Reply #21 on: April 04, 2018, 11:54:39
I'm looking forward to listening soon when I'm alone, but yet another thing I want to add is it took me some time to embrace hearing my own voice, knowing what to expect, knowing how to use it within its own limits, and definitely NOT having any kind of stage fright when singing alone (and now not really even when singing in front of people either).

Do not fear what you might hear.

Embrace your own unique sound. There is no one else like you. As I said before, Bob Dylan does not sound perfect. He does not have the voice of an angel. Ironically, a month ago someone said that I DO have the voice of an angel, which while lovely, did not please me as it does not mean I can sing how I want to. I don't WANT the voice of an angel! I want a more tougher edge, dammit!

That's yet another thing to keep in mind - everyone wants what they can't have. And seldom are we truly appreciative of what we do. So you're not alone there.

• monty_lameer
  • Patissier
  • Undomesticated Goddess

• more
Reply #22 on: April 04, 2018, 13:46:17
Alright, I'm back and I'm always honest about voices as it's my thing, so...

You have a warm, rich and deep tone. With a little tweaking of how you sing and just a little EQ and a bit of reverb, you would get some really cool deep resonance going on.

You also, again with some delicate tweaking, could sound really masculinely beautiful on those higher notes. I'm not being weird. You really do have a good basis to sound great. I hear Nick Cave on "Into My Arms". Have a listen if you don't know it.

This vocal was raw and natural. I hear it for what it is and definitely for what it could be.

Definitely keep singing!

• Thamyris
  • Junior Cook
  • Karma Hunter

• more
Reply #23 on: April 04, 2018, 14:34:01
I think with practice and tweeking I could sound twice as good, but to me it would still sound like a hillbilly with an average voice. I have no problem being a "hillbilly", no shame in that, it's just that I want my songs to be sung by talented artists. They're my children and I want them dressed in the best of clothes. Thanks for your time and advice, I appreciate them.

• monty_lameer
  • Patissier
  • Undomesticated Goddess

• more
Reply #24 on: April 04, 2018, 14:40:37
I understand that. One of my songs I literally wrote with Eddy Vedder singing it in my head. I didn't mean to. It just happened and whenever I sung it, it sounded wrong.

You don't sound anything like a hillbilly to me though! I seriously think you could sound like some of those talented artists you want for your songs.

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Yesterday at 22:34:12
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #25 on: April 04, 2018, 15:30:22
it's just that I want my songs to be sung by talented artists. They're my children and I want them dressed in the best of clothes.

I respect that perspective.

::thumb::