• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Today at 19:19:45
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Onomatopoeia
on: March 03, 2019, 15:48:33
I’ve confessed before that I am a fan of strange and deviant poetry.
Among those, the higgeldy Pickeldy. An English invention that was exported to the Netherlands.

I sport a freeer style of that poetry form.

In ‘Laws of anti-gravity’, @Rewboat coined the word onomatopoeia, which I stole and use for my:

When the shit hits the fan
Onomatopoeia
It is really small beer
Diarrhoea

That’s the English spelling
US diarrhea
I guess you will get used
To the idea

W3mar2019
Don’t forget to wash your hands! Thank you, Rewboat.
Kind regards, Gus

Re: Onomatopoeia
Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 23:55:17
Ewww gross.
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

• Rewboat
  • Patissier
  • a song is a time and place you visit

• April 19, 2019, 03:19:11
    • www.soundcloud.com/andrew-frankel
  • more
Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 00:38:46
@LePlongeur if I am remembered for anything i hope it is that i inspired that hahahahah

@Bill from November Sound  ;D

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 07:41:29
Far too little is happening on this forum, so I might as well kick some ideas around, I thought.
And of course you’ll be remembered.
And as the world is a far too serious place (a place where we don’t laugh enough I mean), I thought that living it up a bit might be a nice idea.

Almost within the very strict rules of the poem .....
I thought that your poem/lyrics @Rewboat was very good.
And inspirational too.
Kind regards, Gus

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 11:25:42
Bumping a bit.....

I am an endangered species. As in: The kind of Amsterdam dialect I was brought up with, is petering out and is gradually replaced by another type of street language.

What triggered my attention, was that in the old kind of Amsterdam dialect verbs are exchanged for a word representing the sound.
An Onomatopoeia, indeed.

So you don't throw in someone's window.
You 'kinkel' it in. Yes, klinkeldekinkel is the sound of breaking glass. Thank you Nick Lowe.

This dialect is a language of speech. It's not in details recorded or written down some place.
Due to the influx of many non Catholic French and Spanish people, there's a lot of French too. In fact De Jordaan, a part of Amsterdam near the Anne Frankhuis and the Westertoren, is believed to be a mispronounciation of Le Jardin. The garden.

You 'ronkt' through the streets on your bike.
You 'slurpt' from your genevertje in the café.
and so on.

As an extra on the subject of Onomotapoeia.
Kind regards, Gus

Reply #5 on: November 03, 2019, 18:00:58
So @LePlongeur  a word like "Kinkel" then becomes part of official language?
In English we can write sounds  … but they are just that …. sounds … not then part of language.
I suppose "knock" is kind of an onomatopoeia in a way.

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #6 on: November 04, 2019, 09:26:31
No, not an official form of Dutch. A very obscure dialect, @Bill from November Sound.
And getting more and more obscure since the people who were young when it was still in use are seniors now. Or maybe even dead.
95% of Amsterdam people don't have a clue what I am trying to say when I use it. That's another reason for not using it. And that speeds up the dying process.

This is what happens when too few people use a specific language or dialect.
That's also the reason that I think Frysk (an official Frysian language spoken in the Netherlands) will be extinct in say 50 years' time.

Bargoens, my sort of dialect, will be gone in 20 years. Or less.
Kind regards, Gus

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• Yesterday at 20:49:00
    • Sheffield, UK
    • https://www.facebook.com/Mr.Bouzouki.Music/ https://www.youtube.com/user/MisterBouzouki https://soundcloud.com/mrbouzouki
  • more
Reply #7 on: November 04, 2019, 20:57:54
I must admit I've been a bit absent of late @LePlongeur ... my 'well seems dry' so to speak of both interesting topics and musical output.
Ironically, since I've sorted out my little room I have done nothing really musically.

Anyway, on the dialect front, I believe in my part of the world it's becoming endangered to talk with traditional words but instead younger people are using online words, concepts, phrases in their place. When you only had a telephone to converse remotely, then obviously local influences were more important. Now the whole world is available there is a normalising of how to converse.
"Love and Life is all about connections"

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #8 on: November 05, 2019, 09:26:40
I must admit I've been a bit absent of late @LePlongeur ... my 'well seems dry' so to speak of both interesting topics and musical output.
Ironically, since I've sorted out my little room I have done nothing really musically.

Anyway, on the dialect front, I believe in my part of the world it's becoming endangered to talk with traditional words but instead younger people are using online words, concepts, phrases in their place. When you only had a telephone to converse remotely, then obviously local influences were more important. Now the whole world is available there is a normalising of how to converse.

It's always nice to get to read your ideas and thoughts @MrBouzouki .
Also because I can easily related to them.
Maybe the reason is simple. If I lean out of the window where I'm typing this (west side of the house) I can practically see you if the weather helps a bit.

But you are right of course... That's exactly what I meant with a new street language developing . Through music, friendships and the possibility to contact a global community. When in my younger years the influences came to Amsterdam, now Amsterdam goes out to the world.

It proves what we already knew beforehand. Change is the only constant.
Kind regards, Gus