Songwriters in the Kitchen!

Board index => Songwriting Ingredients => Topic started by: Dutchbeat on June 29, 2017, 20:34:21

Title: opinions on fade outs (and on how to end a song)
Post by: Dutchbeat on June 29, 2017, 20:34:21
Just wondering, is a fade out (volumewise) to end a song ok / acceptable / working?

well, it of course is acceptable and ok, but do you feel it is working even nowadays?
and: does anyone have tips and ideas on song endings that are out of the box?

what is the best (or most surprising) song end you ever heard???

Title: Re: opinions on fade outs (and on how to end a song)
Post by: Mar T. on June 29, 2017, 20:46:33
Believe it or not, but almost all my songs end in a fade out haha.. Are you calling my songs old-fashioned @Dutchbeat ?  >:D >:D  :whistle: :whistle:

To be honest most of the times I forget to put energy in the ending. Very good question, so I'll be following this thread with all interest!
Post by: Leonard Scaper on June 29, 2017, 20:58:54
My favorite ending to use is a sharply played guitar chord that either cuts off and leaves a faint echo or lets the guitar tones ring out for as long as possible. The ringing out version can be tough because the noise floor in the room can creep in. I always automate a Low Pass Filter to gently kick in for those endings

When I am tracking the acoustic guitar for a song I always go back and track the ending on a separate track to get it just right.

I have tried fade outs and they just never quite do it for me. Most fade outs that I hear are too short. If you're going to go that route...go long.
Post by: Bill from November Sound on August 03, 2017, 16:41:54
You know what's really fun? ...when the band decides to do a fade out live on stage :D  (I'm usually laughing so hard that I just can't continue)

People that play live are probably generally against fade outs.  (Studio musicians are probably generally fine with fade outs.?.?)

A number of songs used to have the jazzy saxophone going as the song fades out. Think Steely Dan, or especially Billy Joel's "Just the Way You Are" .... the radio would be fading out during the Phil Woods saxophone solo ....me, I'm saying, "NO! That's the part I wanted to hear!"
Post by: GTB on August 05, 2017, 20:45:54
Excessive use of fade outs on recorded music seems lazy to me.  Used sparingly it can be good though. Live seems the other way round, a good live fade out isn't easy at all.
Personally I avoid them as much as possible and finish with some kind of turnaround into a final chord - whether resolved or unresolved, as the song needs.

I've always regarded fade outs as rather old fashioned, somewhat amateur 'get out of jail free' technique.  A bit like all tuning to whoever got to the studio first.

@Bill from November Sound , I know what you mean, I've found tons of awesome licks in the fade outs 🙂