Songwriters in the Kitchen!

Board index => Songs for review => Topic started by: robertkc on December 20, 2018, 00:45:30

Title: Changing The World (Misunderstandings Song Challenge Entry)
Post by: robertkc on December 20, 2018, 00:45:30
Could the lack of chatter about the last song challenge of the year be ominous? No idea, but I`m showing my cards anyhow.
The  historical bloopers referred to in the song are  true ( says Google) and I had fun learning about some little errors with big consequences.
My co -conspirator Scott on guitars.

https://soundcloud.com/user-564042721/changing-the-world-with-scottc/s-In46X  (https://soundcloud.com/user-564042721/changing-the-world-with-scottc/s-In46X)

Changing The World
 (One Mistake at A Time)

clock turns back to World War One
see the Black Hand man with a gun
Archduke`s driver can`t keep his cool
turns left not right he`s fortune`s fool
oh no!
Black Hand man fires the gun
starting World War One

jump ahead to World War Two
Japan says what? Truman`s no clue
translator can`t keep his cool
they didn`t say that he`s fortune`s fool
oh no!
Fat Man falling through the blue
ending World War Two

false alarm
faux pas or a crime
changing the world
one mistake at a time

today we dodged World War Three
that looks like missiles on the screen
Norad man can`t keep his cool
the Russians aren`t coming he`s fortune`s fool
oh no!
stand down repeat
cancel World War Three

false alarm
faux pas or a crime
changing the world
one mistake at a time
changing the world
one mistake at a time

© Robert Cordrey Nov. 2018

Title: Re: Changing The World (Misunderstandings Song Challenge Entry)
Post by: Leonard Scaper on December 20, 2018, 13:53:41
Great song!!! What a fantastic send up of world history. I love the "Oh No's"

Kudos to Scott on the guitar
Post by: Timothy Smith on December 20, 2018, 18:04:16
Great song! Interesting and creative lyrics.
Post by: Marcus Nalgaber on December 20, 2018, 19:22:19
This song for me is between two worlds
One of them would be like a Pop in the cheeky style of Lou Red
And another would be like a more psychedelic and romantic Pop similar to that of some groups of the Canterbury Scene of England
Congratulations
Post by: Dutchbeat on December 20, 2018, 19:47:29
hi @robertkc , i am blown away by the first entry for the misunderstanding songwriting challenge..

WOW :o :o :o :o :o :o this sounds good, and yes...let's "cancel world war III"  :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

great lyrics
and beautiful music, the sound of your vocals hamonizing is fantastic, and very Beatles like sounding in my opinion

the Oh No! to begin with

super super super ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::  :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:
Post by: MichaelA on December 21, 2018, 19:41:09
Very wry and entertaining song, cleverly written a performed with panache @robertkc

I was struck by the casual whimsicality of it all as you merrily play on while the world lurches from one epic crisis to another!

I thought the mid break bit was a particular triumph. Great entry, I think, to the seemingly almost secret Misunderstanding Challenge. You've captured the theme really well, so door luck with your entry!  ::thumb::
Post by: robertkc on December 22, 2018, 01:07:33
Thank you!  @Leonard Scaper  @Timothy Smith
@Marcus Nalgaber  I grew up near Canterbury but will have to go back to Google to learn about that music scene... sounds interesting.
I agree there are really two songs glued together here.
@Dutchbeat I`m glad you heard that Beatles influence ...and to have the advantage of being the first entry ;)
@MichaelA I like that "whimsical" description - its easier to be less serious about the earth shaking mistakes that aren`t happening right now!
I vote myself an Early Bird entry prize on this one.

Robert
Post by: MrBouzouki on December 22, 2018, 20:16:50
I like this @robertkc ...

I think the worlds history is made up of many mistakes and unintended consequences in the quest for power,
 (domination / glory call it what you will) and you have nailed this with these lyrics.

A great entry for this latest comp.

::OSMAN:: ::OSMAN:: ::OSMAN::

Post by: Bill from November Sound on December 24, 2018, 00:25:05
Wow @robertkc these lyrics are very powerful. I'm kind of speechless other than that …. wow … cancel WWIII … yes, please.

Really, this is excellent.

-11 ::Note::
Post by: robertkc on December 24, 2018, 18:11:12
@MrBouzouki  Thank you. It surprised me how many wacky and scary historical events popped up on the search. Sometimes it better not to know?
@Bill from November Sound  Thanks! btw that "today we dodged WW111" verse came from this near miss I was too young to get excited about:
23 May 1967
A powerful solar flare accompanied by a coronal mass ejection interfered with multiple NORAD radars over the Northern Hemisphere. This interference was initially interpreted as intentional jamming of the radars by the Soviets, thus an act of war. A nuclear bomber counter-strike was nearly launched by the U.S.[14] Wikipedia

Robert
Post by: oorlab on December 26, 2018, 21:42:52
Great song @robertkc ! Indeed I was looking at the forum and wondered if the challenge was still on. But you nailed it well. Reminds me of ELO, REM and on a second listen also of World Party. Liking the drums a lot.
Good luck!
Post by: Pleudoniem on December 28, 2018, 16:09:07
@robertkc A song in Tom Petty style. His death was a mistake of fate. It's a nice and catchy tune.
Post by: Mora Amaro La Loba on December 28, 2018, 20:52:18
Your song has taken me on a tour of part of the war stories, all stupid by the way ... Mistake... word that describes unexplainable things.
Good sound!

Feliz Año Nuevo
Post by: robertkc on December 29, 2018, 01:25:47
@oorlab  Yes, good to see the entries coming in now. I agree with that ELO reference... World Party I`ll have to check out.
@Pleudoniem  & @Mora Amaro La Loba  Thanks for your listens and comments!

Robert
Post by: Mar T. on January 14, 2019, 00:34:47
Hey @robertkc , congrats on succesfully executing the assignment! Definately important 'misunderstandings' here!
I loved listening to this track, nice work! The instrumental is nice and detailed and nice clear (all words audible) singing! The backvox seem to be a bit lazy and a bit off-pitch to me. If that's a creative choice: don't change it! If not I'd push them a bit further to the background, put some auto-tuning on them, compress them a bit and add a bit more reverb to them. But there's no truth in that, that's just what I'd do..
Overall: nice piece of work, chapeau!
Good luck in the challenge!
Cheers..
Mar T.
:mart:
Post by: robertkc on January 15, 2019, 03:39:12
@Mar T.  Thanks for taking the time to listen- and you identified those one-take unprocessed harmonies :o I took a few minutes to improve them today, just for posterity... to be fair , my production standards for the Challenges so far are  pretty loose .Grab ingredients, mix and serve!

Robert