Songwriters in the Kitchen!

Board index => The kitchen café => Topic started by: Bill from November Sound on April 27, 2019, 16:29:00

Title: Dealing with Squeaks
Post by: Bill from November Sound on April 27, 2019, 16:29:00
In live recordings ... I'm always having issues with squeaks.  >:(

My keyboard bench would squeak as I moved side to side. I had to buy a new one. There was nothing wrong with the other one except squeaking.

Now keyboard sustain pedals ... always squeaking no matter the brand or which of the four I own. We were recording live in studio at the radio station and I'm noticing this squeaking sound from my right foot ... very distracting.  ::)

Any ideas for dealing with squeaks?

My gear does get pretty good use and playing live through a sound system the squeaking won't be so noticeable. However, often I'm in these quiet/ recording situations and it gets annoying. I know "oil" is the obvious answer ... but where? how? when?
Title: Re: Dealing with Squeaks
Post by: Mar T. on April 27, 2019, 18:02:32
Yeah man it's annoying, I know.. And yes, these sounds pop up in recordings..
BUT (yes, there's that famous dutch 'BUT') when your afraid of spiders, a spider on the wall will look bigger and scarier than it actually is, just because you're focussed on it.
Before you know you overfocus on squeaks, try to treat them in the mix, and ruin the original recordings doing so.
One can also look at squeaks as natural sounds that were part of the music creation. But yes it's annoying.. I completely agree!
Post by: Leonard Scaper on April 29, 2019, 13:07:11
I hear you, man! Squeaks are the bane of the acoustic guitarist as well........string squeaks,  and hand squeaks on the neck. Those big ol' LDC microphones capture EVERYTHING! @Mar T. 's advice is excellent about not ruining a mix to get rid of them, though.

Just this morning I was listening to some work I did over the weekend and there was one very bad hand squeak in an otherwise well captured guitar track. Bringing the squeak down was definitely not an option. So......I found the same riff later in the song and carefully flew it in with some cross fades.....squeak gone with no one the wiser.

I spend a lot of time prepping things before tracking these days....including putting a towel on my leather chair to eliminate those butt squeaks.

I recorded for a while with a guy who wore a surgical mask when he tracked acoustic guitar to avoid breath sounds. Really.
Post by: Vince on April 29, 2019, 16:44:46
I hate to break it to you @Bill from November Sound   as you get older your whole body squeaks, cracks, pops etc.... especially on rainy days.

;D
Post by: MrBouzouki on April 29, 2019, 17:11:46
HI @Bill from November Sound  - for a practical solution to mechanical squeaks this is the stuff:-

https://www.wd40.com/

WD-40 Company is a global marketing organization headquartered in San Diego California, where the original WD-40® Multi-Use Product was invented over 60 years ago.

WD-40® Multi-Use Product: The Original

You can't beat the Original. Known as The Can with Thousands of Uses, WD-40® Multi-Use Product is the versatile penetrating oil and favourite that gets the job done right. Our multi-purpose formula helps free sticky mechanisms, loosens up rusted bolts, displaces water and moisture, lubricates hinges, and protects tools and metal parts from rust and corrosion. Count on WD-40® Multi-Use Product to help you live life hands on.

Post by: Bill from November Sound on August 19, 2019, 04:06:46
Sorry to bump up this old thread @MrBouzouki  .... but, well you actually are a hero.  :praise:
I did it.
I took the pedal apart and oiled all the points of contact with WD40. And it worked! That video I have up on youtube ?  (in the live performances section) ... yup, no squeaks!!!!  :D 
The secret was to actually take it apart and carefully oil it piece by piece.  :yes:
Post by: MrBouzouki on August 19, 2019, 20:58:36
 ::OSMAN:: ::OSMAN:: ::OSMAN::