Songwriters in the Kitchen!

Board index => The kitchen café => Topic started by: Bill from November Sound on February 02, 2020, 03:44:27

Title: Music you hate
Post by: Bill from November Sound on February 02, 2020, 03:44:27
Music you hate.

This is a really interesting video ..... and interesting concept.

A quick synopsis for all the kitcheners for whom English is a secondary language:
What music do you hate? Not dislike. No, absolutely despise!
He asks people and strangely they all hate music that is similar to what they do. Similar but not quite. The term is "uncanny valley". Usually refering to something that is strangely resembling human form to where it creeps people out , it is here being applied to music.
Autotune is hated by so many for this very reason. It resembles human voice but is robotic enough to be scary.
His thought is that people hate music that comes close to what they like. It is close but "off" in some way.
For example, the author, Adam, hates contemporary christian music because he grew up in the New England kind of church where they played music of Bach, etc.

Think about this.
Do you hate certain types of music?
Maybe you hate music by someone who actually does music similar to yours? Similar but not quite.
Someone famous? Someone local? Someone on the internet?

Then think about why you actually don't like it. What could you do to change that?

https://youtu.be/AZMpU-7YcgA
Title: Re: Music you hate
Post by: Dutchbeat on February 02, 2020, 18:34:33
 ;D ;D :thumbsup: :thumbsup: good question @Bill from November Sound   ::thumb::

i watched the video, and indeed traditional Dutch 'carnaval'  music  really is he worst  :yes: :yes: it is really Bad  :yes:

speaking of 'Bad'...'Bad' from Michael Jackson is one of the songs i really ....do not like, hate is a big word..but it is so...soooo...loud

so...over the top.. in terms of its ....vocal loudness  :shinyteeth: :shinyteeth:

the vocal loudness and the repetitive nature of that one vocal line with it extreme loudness
is overwhelming

whereas i can stand vocal loudness  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D i like it, in a general sense, i can appreciate and handle many and most songs from Michael Jackson even

but this particular one is bad
and some of the feel good christmas hit songs can be....damaging to the ears

i however
have no general problem
with autotune voices  ;D ;D ;D 
thank god for that  8) :blackgrin: :blackgrin: :blackgrin: :shinyteeth:

Post by: Mo on February 02, 2020, 19:08:24
  indeed traditional Dutch 'carnaval'  music  really is he worst  :yes: :yes: it is really Bad  :yes:

Similar here... wouldn't call it 'hate.... but...  :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IRly3djY8Q
Post by: Bill from November Sound on February 03, 2020, 01:47:57
Oh @Mo  .... the chicken dance?  :doublebonk:

Do they do that in your part of the world?
Post by: Redlady on February 23, 2020, 18:33:21
I hate rap songs with explicit lyrics. I hate cussing and dissing people's race lifestyle or cultures.
Post by: Bill from November Sound on February 23, 2020, 19:53:56
I hate rap songs with explicit lyrics. I hate cussing and dissing people's race lifestyle or cultures.

Yeah, that makes sense @Redlady . It's tough sometimes people will follow us and like our music … even put nice comments on our SoundCloud tracks …. then we hear their music and it's all misogynistic and inappropriate …. and uh … we don't really want to support this.  :(

So the point of this video is … WHY do you hate it? We may hate stuff that is somehow similar to what we like … in a weird way. You, of course, don't make gangster rap at all …. but maybe you've known people who like it? Maybe you have bad experiences associated with it?   ???

Post by: Mo on February 24, 2020, 09:45:28
Oh @Mo  .... the chicken dance?  :doublebonk:

Do they do that in your part of the world?

Oh yes, it seemes it´s pupular everywhere then?
And I hate it because you could just like it if you are much drunken, and i  deeply disrespect to much drunken people! 8)
Post by: oorlab on February 27, 2020, 17:56:17
@Bill from November Sound  -read through the thread here, and conluded I don't actually hate, as in despise, any music.

I very much dislike Grunt-metal - because of the loudness and total noise-like blockform and non-understability of the lyrics.
But then again, wouldn't call this hate.
The 'uncanny valley' seems to be about ' eeriness' and 'revulsion'. Eery is certainly a term I could attach to muisc, and not ncessarily negative. Revulsion off course is always a negative term. I would primarily attach it to certain political dispositions. Or food gone past the date...