Songwriters in the Kitchen!

Board index => The kitchen cafť => Topic started by: Bill from November Sound on April 09, 2020, 21:44:10

Title: Kitchen Acoustic Cafe on Zoom - Test run this Saturday
Post by: Bill from November Sound on April 09, 2020, 21:44:10
Hello Everyone,

After discussing this at the zoom meeting last weekend we are now planning to try different types of online Kitchen Open Mic Events! Ö. and other assorted "live" get togethers.

This Saturday at 8:00 P.M. Amsterdam Time ( 20:00 CET , 2:00 P.M. EDT) we are doing an "Acoustic Open Mic" test run via zoom.
@budhabuilding  has been so gracious to offer his technological support to make this happen.

We will have a few performers this time while we try to get the format and technical issues figured out. This will feature performances by @Layerson , @Pleudoniem , @oorlab Ö we hope  ;)  , @Monty Cash Music  Ö we hope  ;) 

( I was hoping that @Mylene and @Rachel_D would perform since they were at our meeting as well. )

This one, the "acoustic kitchen cafe" will be a simple play and sing acoustically into the phone or ipad type of performance.

We are also planning an " electric/electronic kitchen cafe" that we are still working the details on. Finally more "kitchen counter"  pub - type hangouts was suggested by @Pleudoniem Ö and I think we'll be able to do some of those as well.

We will really appreciate you stopping in even if just for a few minutes on the zoom room. Can you hear it okay? Can you see it okay?
Again this is the test run  ;)  We hope it goes well and can become a part of what we do here in the kitchen.   :)

Many are using this quarantine in a way that is opportunistic to try to sell merch, to promote their music, do a livestream concert, to sell their book, get you to buy their class, etc. Ö this is not necessarily bad Ö... but I'm happy to say here in the kitchen we are trying to do something that is non-commercial that just brings people together to create and share. :ok:

Title: Re: Kitchen Acoustic Cafe on Zoom - Test run this Saturday
Post by: Dutchbeat on April 09, 2020, 22:01:40
book me a seat @Bill from November Sound and @budhabuilding

front row if possible  ;D ;D ;D ;D

i was thinking...first name that came into my mind...to ask for an extra live performance is
@Katze Konigsberg , she really has a lot of experience playing live, and is sooooo.... good at it!!!!
Post by: Dutchbeat on April 09, 2020, 22:07:16
and of course
@Jurgen
@realkevm
@redmando
and @budhabuilding himself as.... Budhabuilding!!!...  :o :o :o

Post by: Bill from November Sound on April 09, 2020, 22:10:48
and of course
@Jurgen
@realkevm
@redmando
and @budhabuilding himself as.... Budhabuilding!!!...  :o :o :o

This is just the test run @Dutchbeat

Don't worry @budhabuilding  has all kinds of surprises when we get the "Kitchen Electric/Electronic Cafť" going!!!!!
Post by: Katze Konigsberg on April 10, 2020, 17:34:09
Ahhhh just realized I missed the Zoom Meeting!!! ohhhh thats so sad!!! A lot of things going on here....and also in my life.....I lost my job....but i am so happy about it so no worries.......

What is planed for Saturday evening? I would be in! Do we need to perform something? I did unterstand it like this: everybody plays a song? But maybe I got it wrong.....I would be also in just talking....but I guess i missed this in the last meeting.....

@Dutchbeat thanks for inviting!

Post by: Dutchbeat on April 10, 2020, 17:47:33
hi @Katze Konigsberg  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: thanks for your response...the organsation of the online open mic night is in the hands of @Bill from November Sound and @budhabuilding ....i am just going to be in the audience...but i would love their would be a Song  from you in the show!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Post by: Katze Konigsberg on April 10, 2020, 18:07:23
@Dutchbeat yeah sure, I can try! :D Is it then tomorrow or is that just the test? So everybody goes in Zoom and then we have people performing theirs songs right?   
Post by: Bill from November Sound on April 10, 2020, 19:04:12
That would be great @Katze Konigsberg  @Dutchbeat   :ok:
I sent you a PM with more details.  :)
Post by: Layerson on April 10, 2020, 21:49:09
Hi guys!

Iíve been trying out my computer and gear, rigging it up and joining a zoom test meeting, works like a charm. However, Iíd  like to run everything trough Logic because then itís gonna sound much better. Iím also using a webcam that can capture audio, but it sounds like Iím in a tin box.

So, my question is, @budhabuilding or @Bill from November Sound or anyone else for that matter, do you know if that would work or will zoom get the audio before in enters Logic?

My acoustic guitar, which has a built in mic, is rigged trough an effects pedal, so that will have wet sound but it would be nice if one could build an audio chain before letting zoom get it to add some limiting and compression.

::Rachel::
/Micke
Post by: Bill from November Sound on April 10, 2020, 23:05:29
Oh boy Ö we need @budhabuilding for this one.  ;)
Post by: Layerson on April 10, 2020, 23:09:56
Worst case scenario you wonít hear whatís ever going on at my side, and thatís probably gonna be an improvement. (Iím gonna play fingerstyle on my guitar, at least for one song. Hopefully the other song too, if I can learn the lyrics by heart in time)

:blackgrin:
Post by: Bill from November Sound on April 11, 2020, 00:58:55
whoa!!! @Layerson  you're going all out!  :)  You're even going to memorize your lyrics?  :D 

Do not worry this is just the test run for fun.  :) This acoustic cafť will probably be the most low-tech way of kitchen cafť events.
Post by: budhabuilding on April 11, 2020, 07:45:56
HI All,

Sorry to be a little late   ::)

Here are some great tips for playing music with Zoom:
https://youtu.be/wkG7yOTRIAk

is you don't have the time please watch it from
https://youtu.be/wkG7yOTRIAk?t=330

@Layerson if you want to route audio you can use software like Soundflower (bit buggy) of other alternatives
https://alternativeto.net/software/soundflower/

Personally i use 2 computers .... or a computer and my iPad
You can use most class compliant USB devices on you're android and ios devices....
Please use a powered hub for fixing power issues
some info for ios devices:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUJAVGHXnMs
or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoGrJOVd_qk

some info for android devices
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zjXMyS78ho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t9GdxLIXS0

Hope this helps @Bill from November Sound @Katze Konigsberg @Dutchbeat, @Pleudoniem , @oorlab , @Monty Cash Music, @Mylene, @Rachel_D @shatiks @Goatrelated

I will be there at 19.00 for helping you out if there is any problems

Now the LINK:
https://us04web.zoom.us/j/944314672?pwd=aUdVZzc2UENHTUJMZGRjR1hSeDdOUT09

for the safety I put all the Zoom info in this post  ;)

Hope to see you tonight........

Hans Timmermans is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Kitchen Acoustic Cafe on Zoom
Time: Apr 11, 2020 08:00 PM Amsterdam

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us04web.zoom.us/j/944314672?pwd=aUdVZzc2UENHTUJMZGRjR1hSeDdOUT09

Meeting ID: 944 314 672
Password: 601336
One tap mobile
+13126266799,,944314672#,,#,601336# US (Chicago)
+13462487799,,944314672#,,#,601336# US (Houston)

Dial by your location
        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
        +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
        +1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
        +1 253 215 8782 US
        +1 301 715 8592 US
Meeting ID: 944 314 672
Password: 601336
Find your local number: https://us04web.zoom.us/u/fbHNIfh2xJ

Post by: LePlongeur on April 11, 2020, 07:59:53
Thank you @budhabuilding for organising all this.
I love to attend, but can only stay for a Very short time. Yes, thatís a pity. But not being able to come would have been worse.

So half an hour is all I have. And I will quietly leave, so I wonít disrupt festivities.

I already look forward to this.
Yesterday Youp van Ďt Hek on TV, today open mic..... Tomorrow our youngest.
Mijn weekend kan niet meer stuck (!).
Kind regards, Gus
Post by: oorlab on April 11, 2020, 09:30:47
many thanks @budhabuilding  for organising ! - will try to be there at 7.  Can't promiss I have anything near your way of set up,  available at my place.
My advice is not to publish the password to the meeting but send it to participants by PM.
cheers
Post by: LePlongeur on April 11, 2020, 11:56:49
many thanks @budhabuilding  for organising ! - will try to be there at 7.  Can't promiss I have anything near your way of set up,  available at my place.
My advice is not to publish the password to the meeting but send it to participants by PM.
cheers

I can perfectly understand this question, but @budhabuilding is working hard to tie all electronic knots and make it work. @oorlab
Is there perhaps an automatic reply function build in in this forum.
In that case (instead of:Deirdre will not be in until ..., your mail will not be read untill then) one Kitchener who asks pm for the password, gets it automatically. The person must have a password to send an email, right?
So that end of the safety chain is covered.
I would gladly volunteer, but am frequently in a place with no internet and electricity. So that doesnít work.

Kind regards, Gus
Post by: budhabuilding on April 11, 2020, 13:18:09
@oorlab @LePlongeur

I understand your concern but every event has a new and unique code and password. I can remove people from the event and they will be blocked. I have a waiting room. So people are in this room so I can see which people enter. If thatís not enough I will pm ..

The reason .... I like to make it as easy as possible to enter this meeting...

Letís hope we can keep thing happy and easy ...
Post by: oorlab on April 11, 2020, 13:54:28
Thanks @LePlongeur  @budhabuilding  - we all work hard to tie the electronic knots together.
for a next event i'd be volunteering for dishing out the keys to get into the waiting room - if it would suit our forum's friendly vibe.
Stay safe
Post by: LePlongeur on April 11, 2020, 14:32:15
Lovely. Caution seems to be our new 1st thought. Instead of reckless writers.
Thank you @budhabuilding for taking such good are of us.
Tot zoens.
Kind regards, Gus
Post by: Mylene on April 11, 2020, 17:26:42
Hi everyone!
Thank you for organizing this @Dutchbeat and @Bill from November Sound
Unfortunately, I won't be able to join you. Is there a way you can record the session and share with the kitchen?

Thank you and enjoy ;)
Post by: Bill from November Sound on April 11, 2020, 18:35:32
Hi @Mylene   and others. This is sort of a test run .... an online "sound check" so to speak. I don't think that we'll be recording this but the idea is that if it goes well it can become part of what the kitchen cafe is and what the kitchen does.  :thumbsup:
Post by: Monty Cash Music on April 11, 2020, 19:55:19
@Bill from November Sound

Hey guys, would love to join, but need to setup my equipment better and charge my phone battery properly.

I set my alarm to wake up at 2 am, being now, so that's not a prob! Haha

I hope your test run goes great! See you next time!
Post by: budhabuilding on April 11, 2020, 21:18:51
Thank you all @Bill from November Sound @Dutchbeat @Katze Konigsberg @Pleudoniem @oorlab @Dutchbeat @LePlongeur @Mo @Layerson
and sorry to be the nerdy guy .... if you want any help setting up just give me a request

Post by: Mo on April 11, 2020, 21:19:38
I'm so sorry that i left too early! but my daughter came in with an issue and i needed to help her with it.
All in all its such a fantastic idea! ::thumb:: ::thumb:: Thank you very much for set this up @budhabuilding  and @Bill from November Sound !!
Its a pitty i missed your performances, maybe next time I get this pleasure!!
Post by: oorlab on April 11, 2020, 21:20:28
That was big fun and very promising for future gatherings  @Mo  @budhabuilding  @Pleudoniem  @Katze Konigsberg  @Layerson @Dutchbeat  @Bill from November Sound  @LePlongeur  - we will get the tech issues solved to better the audio. In itself this was a really uplifting Acoustic online event!
Post by: Pleudoniem on April 11, 2020, 21:25:19
Yes, it was fun. Next time, please inform about the event a bit earlier, because I was feeling embarrasingly unprepared. I can't wait for the next one though. It would be great if we could set up some sort of jam.

Post by: Dutchbeat on April 11, 2020, 21:29:49
Yes, it was fun. Next time, please inform about the event a bit earlier, because I was feeling embarrasingly unprepared. I can't wait for the next one though. It would be great if we could set up some sort of jam.
`

@Pleudoniem...thanks, it was great! and yes, let's go for a 'big show' with some more notice upfront

so i can invite all the kitchenauts to the opening show....i hope you guys @Bill from November Sound @Dutchbeat @Katze Konigsberg @Pleudoniem @oorlab @Dutchbeat @LePlongeur @Mo @Layerson

want to do this again  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:, i thought it was great!!!

thanks

*oh...and let me distribute these Karma points i promised to you all now :ok: :ok: :ok: ;D ;D ;D and @Bill from November Sound ...only even numbers*
Post by: Pleudoniem on April 11, 2020, 21:38:02
@Dutchbeat  Ha! Karma Points :) You have just lifted me to an all time high  :dance:
Post by: Dutchbeat on April 11, 2020, 21:49:03
@Dutchbeat  Ha! Karma Points :) You have just lifted me to an all time high  :dance:

i know! @Pleudoniem..... :o :o :o :o

but...watch out your Karma coin meter keeps going up!!! .... ::) ::) ::) :o :o :o :o
Post by: Pleudoniem on April 11, 2020, 22:03:02
@Dutchbeat Hh-heh-haaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Acute karmatic trance. I don't want to wake up!  :doublebonk:
Post by: Bill from November Sound on April 11, 2020, 22:32:50
Hey so nice to meet you in person and to see your smiling faces @Katze Konigsberg @Mo @Dutchbeat @budhabuilding @LePlongeur @oorlab @Pleudoniem @Layerson  !!!   :D 

@Pleudoniem  1st thanks for liking our facebook page! 2nd you sounded just fine Ö really good actually! ... This was our test run to try out different things Ö I think we all learned a lot! Short notice was purposeful so we didn't have to figure out technical issues in front of a hundred people.  ;D

@Katze Konigsberg  Ö you sounded great!  Your voice sounded wonderful the first time and on the second song we could hear the guitar as well.

@oorlab  ... nice work! You play a lot of instruments well. Very cool! We are going to have great fun at the kitchen electric cafť

@Layerson  .... awesome ... nice sound, man! I especially like the song about the umbrella store!  ;)

@budhabuilding  ... Hans  ... I can't thank you enough. You are the best!  :)

@Dutchbeat @LePlongeur @Mo  thanks for being part of the new things we're trying and thanks for all of your support and involvement with the Songwriters in the Kitchen

Melissa and I had a great time! The mods will have some discussion about this and hopefully we can continue with more.  :ok:  :)
Post by: Layerson on April 11, 2020, 23:01:47
Good job organizing this event, a real interesting shared experience and who better to spend a couple of enriching hours with than the Kitcheners  :dance: :shinyteeth:  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

Lyrics are not my strong suit, but I take pride in pushing for all the Umbrella Store fellas out there  ;D (Usually I just write what comes into my mind, canít say it always makes sense. This time I blame it on my Lyrics app, it makes me keep track of my syllables... and suggests rhymes... Umbrella Store wasnít one of them...hehe)

Might even be interested in joining again, hopefully much better prepared and with technology working. But, for a first try Iím very pleased with the extra karma and some kind feedback  ::headphone::

/Micke
Post by: LePlongeur on April 12, 2020, 09:34:03
Hope this finds you well.....

I've looked forward to the yesterday's session. Looked forward too, to get to know (a bit) some people I haven't met before.
So yes, @Mo you were sorely missed.

Apart from all the things I am involved in, I have two 'mantelzorgadressen' too. Two places, were I take care of people, one of them being Alzheimer mum.

My availability for sessions like these is/are limited. But my love for music is huge.

The three quarters of an hour I was part of this were great fun.
The sound quality takes me back 50 years to the pirate stations.

My way of working, as well as my gear makes participation unlikely, but hey: What's an artist without an audience?
Thank you @budhabuilding and @Bill from November Sound for doing what you did.

Kind regards, Gus
Post by: Mo on April 12, 2020, 09:48:32
: What's an artist without an audience?

Morning!
Thought this either would be just nice to be the audience ;)

@LePlongeur, well I'm concious I even met you yesterday, wasnt you the guy who rattled that loud with the tea cup?? :D
All in all i was present 5 quarters because i read somewehereelse  it starts at 19.00 - and i left at 20.15 ... but while waiting i had interesting chat with crazy DB who were lost in space but thougt he is at shore in Hawaiii. Look forward to next time!
Post by: LePlongeur on April 12, 2020, 11:08:07
Yes, @Mo Iím really sorry for the noise. I never would have thought that a simple cup could make so much noise. But felt the need to address a counter culture. Tea or coffee against all the beer and liquor at 8 pm.
I can never be sure that there are no small children watching. We need not only tell the world to behave better, but also set an example.
Partly joking of course.

Getting acquainted must wait till the next time.

@budhabuilding
Is it perhaps a good idea to kick off these sessions with a short introduction? Not all the Kitcheners have filled in the profile or show maps indicating they live on the moon.

And I must say, I like the international thought behind all this very much.
To everyone: a fantastic Easter!
Kind regards, Gus
Post by: Layerson on April 17, 2020, 09:54:15
Hi all!

Didn't know where to put up this info, but as you know I tried using my regular soundcard in the test session, to process the sound pre sending it via the virtual soundcard Blackhole into the Zoom meeting.

It all went well, except that I couldn't hear the processed sound myself, so it was a somewhat strange experience, getting no feedback of the actual output/sound.

@budhabuilding I think I've sorted it out, and I've tried the solution in a Zoom test meeting (which is an excellent way to test audio settings, get a feel for how it's gonna sound).

Anyways, the solution in MacOS X is to create a Multiple-Out soundcard, which also combines the Blackhole with a physical soundcard. A multi-out soundcard sends audio out through multiple soundcards at once, so that way it's possible to hear the sound from the DAW and simultaneously send it to Zoom. In Zoom, you can't use this as an audio source (hearing) because it will not sound correctly, only local usage is possible, but in Zoom I had several soundcards that produced correct sound, among them the combined virtual soundcard.

Just let me know if anyone wants to know more about the tech details or test it out.

(PS. I also tried out  a way for multiple monitoring, by using multiple aux and bus signals, that also works but would require an additional physical soundcard or computer... that would also work, but this is more a Logic specific solution.)

/Micke
Post by: budhabuilding on April 18, 2020, 14:31:34
Thanks @Layerson

All tech solutions are welcome.

Could you also check the frequency's of all your soundcards.... is it 44.1 48 or even 88.2 or 96?

thanks for the info

Post by: LePlongeur on April 18, 2020, 15:26:08
Thank you all @Bill from November Sound @Dutchbeat @Katze Konigsberg @Pleudoniem @oorlab @Dutchbeat @LePlongeur @Mo @Layerson
and sorry to be the nerdy guy .... if you want any help setting up just give me a request

Letís just say a little bird told me, that Ella whispers: talk nerdy to me.
So, why are you sorry.?

But @budhabuilding I am a little bit ashamed to be not nerdy. I can offer you nothing but rather too heartily patting on the shoulder and hope that allís well that ends well.

But, I wondered, if I leave the teacup downstairs, will there be another test run this evening?
Kind regards, Gus
Post by: Bill from November Sound on April 18, 2020, 15:56:48
No, not tonight @LePlongeur   Ö sorry. I wish we were, though.  :)
Post by: Layerson on April 18, 2020, 16:16:36
Thanks @Layerson

All tech solutions are welcome.

Could you also check the frequency's of all your soundcards.... is it 44.1 48 or even 88.2 or 96?

thanks for the info

Well, checked in Audio/Midi-settings and all the culprit soundcards are set to 44.1. Hadnít even noticed that.

(It used to be I could set my Saffire 6USB up as high as 192 but for some reason I canít do that now, maybe I should upgrade the OS? The BlackHole soundcard registers with settings as high as 192 though.)

/Micke
Post by: LePlongeur on April 18, 2020, 17:58:14
No, not tonight @LePlongeur   Ö sorry. I wish we were, though.  :)

Due to Coranatic circumstances, the weekly meet up will be increased to once every two months... (Political announcement)
Only joking of course, but yes it's a pity.

Kind regards, Gus
Post by: Bill from November Sound on April 18, 2020, 18:51:05
Hey no politics @LePlongeur  ... ;D @Layerson is in the midst of some amazing technological discoveries!  :D
Seriously, I'm following you @Layerson .  :ok: New Windows updates did a number on my saffire as well and @budhabuilding can attest to that. I'm going to do some tests today as well.
Post by: Layerson on April 18, 2020, 22:02:41
Haha @Bill from November Sound  :blackgrin:

I should really have more knowledge around Logic, this has actually made me discover quite a lot. There is another setting, and @budhabuilding was on to something last time around when he connected remotely to my Mac. Itís possible for soundcards that have multiple outs in Logic to mirror the outs, but then again thatís only good if you connect another soundcard to one pair of outs (I could do that) but like the virtual solution better. Works with zero latency.

/Micke
Post by: Pleudoniem on April 19, 2020, 15:00:31
Something tells me the solution had better be an easy one. I don't think I'd buy an extra soundcard to get a meeting going in Zoom, and I don't want to be tinkering too much with the settings I have and that are currently working. I have an internal Soundcard, and an RME400, but I can only activate one at a time. If I am missing the point here, then that is evidence of what I am trying to say.

I am an experienced user and I can usually find my way round, but I am not a nerd - not when it comes to technology, that is...  ::) I predict some of us might get lost if there is too much trickery to cope with.

So, I'd be inclined to look for a platform that has little enough latency to work acceptably, even if it may not work perfectly. 

I'll quote our famous philosopher Johan Cruyff here: 'Doing it in a simple way is the most difficult'. I think he had a point there.

Post by: Bill from November Sound on April 19, 2020, 21:15:08
Something tells me the solution had better be an easy one. I don't think I'd buy an extra soundcard to get a meeting going in Zoom, and I don't want to be tinkering too much with the settings I have and that are currently working. I have an internal Soundcard, and an RME400, but I can only activate one at a time. If I am missing the point here, then that is evidence of what I am trying to say.

I am an experienced user and I can usually find my way round, but I am not a nerd - not when it comes to technology, that is...  ::) I predict some of us might get lost if there is too much trickery to cope with.

So, I'd be inclined to look for a platform that has little enough latency to work acceptably, even if it may not work perfectly. 

I'll quote our famous philosopher Johan Cruyff here: 'Doing it in a simple way is the most difficult'. I think he had a point there.

Let's face it @Pleudoniem  @Layerson   .... some of us are gear heads! WE can't help ourselves. We love to tinker with complicated technological things. ;)
But, as I said at our meeting .... for the "acoustic cafe" we are going to allow people to be simple. If people want to play a couple songs into their phone I'm completely supporting that!  :ok:
We are working on another option for the "electric cafe" that will be more complicated but allow for less latency.
Post by: Pleudoniem on April 19, 2020, 21:34:18
@Bill from November Sound I know you are, and I would never hold it against you. Your species is useful to mankind. What I am saying is that for those who aren't, it may be safer to keep it as simple as possible.

As for me, I am somewhere in between. I'm neither a nerd nor an un-nerd. Call me a semi-nerd.
Post by: Layerson on April 19, 2020, 23:07:50
I sense a need for an ďElectronic Cafe on ZoomĒ-thread, was looking for one of those when I wanted to share my discoveries.

Think itís a good thing to keep things uncomplicated in the acoustic cafe, reason being that all the tech stuff tend to take more time, when spectators want the time for performances. (For low tech on the computer I was planning to use the built in mic in my webcam, as a backup last time around).

/Micke
Post by: Dutchbeat on April 29, 2020, 13:48:47
Hi @budhabuilding @Bill from November Sound and @Layerson ..... don't know whether this video has any useful tips...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEAb4G063sM (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEAb4G063sM)
Post by: Mo on August 31, 2020, 10:18:56
EDIT: I deleted my former question here because, i think i could answered it mostly by my own after i had written it down.  :)

So, then  i just hope to give
this rather brilliant idea of @budhabuilding  and @Bill from November Sound  another try (https://www.songwriter-forum-kitchen.com/forum/seo/3/kitchen-meeting-via-zoom-no-2/6498//) even its not that technically  and professional  :ok: :)

If you are interested maybe  just drop by! :praise:

Meeting No 2 - Monday 7th September - 9 PM Berlin/ Amsterdam time  (https://www.songwriter-forum-kitchen.com/forum/seo/3/kitchen-meeting-via-zoom-no-2/6498/)