• ask a silly question
  • Started by snow leopard
ask a silly question
on: December 20, 2019, 16:03:20
Sooooo (as he sips coffee) let's say someone has converted some of his songs from cassette tape to digital file (wav, mp3, mp4), is there a way to create, then add, a drum track or string track (current digital file is lacking drums, strings) to said file using say Audacity or some other software?  This someone doesn't have any equipment other than a qwerty keyboard and fingers (but no touchscreen).  Sips coffee.

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 12:57:25
  • more
Re: ask a silly question
Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 16:26:46
hi @snow leopard , you can download reaper...and add as many tracks you want

https://www.reaper.fm/

just insert an empty track and insert your casette recording in wav or mp3 format in there
and add tracks underneath that one to add drums / drum samples and strings etc. and start remixing again  ;D ;D ;D :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

oh and when i say "you" ... i mean the person you are asking this for  ;D ;D ;D :yes: :yes: :yes:  ;D
me, myself, and Pie

Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 17:48:49
'Someone' says thanks Dutchbeat!  At least I've downloaded Reaper now and will find out how to use it (at this point I'm not sure which is more work...writing the damn song or figuring out digital recording).  But methinks its like any new software or video game.  Can seem so impossibly complicated at first then after a while it's like 'this game is so stupidly simple and boring!!!'.   

• oorlab
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • savoir vivre

• Today at 08:02:21
    • netherlands
    • https://twitter.com/oorlab https://soundcloud.com/oorlab
  • more
Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 18:35:27
@snow leopard  - Audacity is the easiest program I know for that - and its interface is superior. Although I record and mix in Cubase, most of the times I check my mixes in Audacity .
recommending https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Music_Works "How music works", book by David Byrne.

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 12:57:25
  • more
Reply #4 on: December 20, 2019, 18:49:40
my post got lost ...but @snow leopard

telll that someone  ;D ;D ;D ;D that once he, or she, has reaper

just go to the "track" pull down menu at the top of your screen
and click the first item, called "add a new track"

and then the person who is asking, can just go to one more of these top pull down menu's called: insert
and then he or she can select: media file

and there select your cassete tape track!  if it is a wav or an mp3 file it is on that track

and then go back to the "track"" menu to add another track where you can put these drums or strings on etc.

and just feel free to keep asking  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: anything.....i mean, who-ever would be asking... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 12:28:55
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #5 on: December 20, 2019, 19:58:26
(at this point I'm not sure which is more work...writing the damn song or figuring out digital recording).

if you make the commitment to learn your DAW of choice and just persevere you'll find that in time it becomes much easier. That's when a whole new world will open up for you.

I have been writing and recording music since the 1970's on all kinds of now antiquated recording equipment but once I switched to a computer based recording platform my music just absolutely took off. It is well worth the front end aggravation.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

Reply #6 on: December 20, 2019, 22:24:40
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 22:40:32 by Pleudoniem »
@snow leopard It's not at all a silly question. Not asking any questions is much more silly. I think I agree with @Dutchbeat . Most DAWs work in a comparable way, but they may differ in how the mixing tools they provide are implemented and in their look and feel. Their basic idea isn't so very different though. I sometimes tryout different DAWs, just to see what they are like, and once you learn to use one, it isn't so difficult to figure out another one. It is often said that it just depends on what feels best for you, and i think I agree there.

Yes, Reaper is very good, but I also learnt a lot from the older versions of Tracktion, which are freely available on the internet (just type the word into a browser). T1 to T7 excel in their simplicity for the focus on the bare necessities. In fact what you asked above I did with Tracktion 2 a couple of years ago, when I simply 'pasted' drum wavs below a track from tape to see how that worked and if it could be done.
Pleudoniem: composer; bass guitarist; guitarist; singer; drummer; tap-guitarist - o, and yes... erm- a bit of keys. Open for collabs.
SoundCloud Page: https://soundcloud.com/pleudoniem

Reply #7 on: December 21, 2019, 01:28:01
Well thanks much everyone for all the feedback and information.  I'll check out everything suggested.  I put a wav file  of a song on Reaper, it plays fine,  then I think I called up a 'VST' plug-in which looks like a virtual drum machine, with buttons for snare, tom, etc., (which is exactly what I want---I want to create a digital drum track)....but couldn't get any sound out of it  lol (that's TOO minimalist!).  So I'm THAT close.
In other words I want to put in digitally what 'someone'  didn't do analogically (?) in the past.  Bass guitar now, maybe cello, violins, flute, drums, etc.

I actually had to consult the universal source of all knowledge---Google---to find out what DAW meant haha.  So now I'll put the WAV in the DAW and add a VST...you get the idea.   

Reply #8 on: December 21, 2019, 10:59:25
@snow leopard Here is a free midi-drum kit that beginning users find very handy. You need to create an extra track in the DAW, and then it allows you to drag and drop complete drum patterns into your edit from it, and at the same tempo as your piece from tape. You can also simply tap along with it  (.i.e. mouse clicks) to the beats of the original track.

https://www.powerdrumkit.com

It is almost like a mini-version of the famous EZDrummer kit. If you want to drag and drop drum patterns, it is important that you first find out what the BPM (beats per minute = tempo) of your song from tape is. Many DAWs have an in-built app that can detect the BPM, but I've found many of them a little confusing for beginning users. The tapping along should be no problem, though.

tips: You may also tap along only for a couple of seconds, and then copy and paste that further along the track. 
tip2: create more extra tracks and insert the drum app into each of those extra tracks. Then, in each individual track, tap a different drum, such as the kick, the snare or a cymbal. It allows you to concentrate on one drum at the time, and avoid nervous clicking and hoping to stick to the beats.

xx
Time for a silly song ...

Started by MrBouzouki on The kitchen café

4 Replies
Last post May 09, 2019, 08:49:37
by MrBouzouki
xx
Entry for the Christmas song writing competition, in the category "silly"

Started by Dutchbeat on Songs for review

8 Replies
Last post December 03, 2013, 13:24:52
by CrystalSuzy
xx
yet another silly Goatie and DB 'video' (well done for saving that bird, Goatie)

Started by Dutchbeat on Songs for review

13 Replies
Last post August 20, 2016, 15:50:31
by Dutchbeat
xx
help! soundcloud question....

Started by Dutchbeat on The kitchen café

0 Replies
Last post October 21, 2014, 16:23:56
by Dutchbeat
xx
i have a question.....about Reatune